1 2 3
classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
11/11/19 8:17 p.m.

U-pull-it in Sterling Heights has this coming up as well, I think it's $65 though

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/19 8:20 p.m.

Man, the only yard with anything semi useful near me does a "all you can drag on a hood" sale for $75 once a year, but I kinda like this better. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/11/19 9:01 p.m.

Count me in on the it's not worth another hernia crowd. Seriously, is the event sponsored by a hernia clinic?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/19 5:35 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Count me in on the it's not worth another hernia crowd. Seriously, is the event sponsored by a hernia clinic?

Why would a hernia clinic sponsor such an event?  There are enough smart people out there who will buy ECUs and harnesses to get their moneys worth and avoid the risk of injury.  The goal is to try to break over the $50 cost threshold, not your back

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/12/19 6:35 a.m.

Was thinking about it, and how does this work for challenge budget purposes?

Say I gather a pair of cylinder heads, a sway bar, and a couple sensors. Is each item $10, or distribute the $50 proportionally depending on the usual price? So say $60/ head, $6 a sensor, and 15 for the sway bar. Normally $147. So 60/148 is ~40%, so each head is ~$20? Or just budget hit of $50, whether you use one or all parts?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/19 6:52 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

i'd be walking out with as many ls truck harnesses and pcm's over my shoulders as possible and a bucket of throttle bodies and sensors.  

what about going a day before, pull and stash a bunch of stuff in a trunk, then go back as soon as they open to your stash and grab it so you can pull even more than you could in a day?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
11/12/19 7:50 a.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to wheels777 :

i'd be walking out with as many ls truck harnesses and pcm's over my shoulders as possible and a bucket of throttle bodies and sensors.  

what about going a day before, pull and stash a bunch of stuff in a trunk, then go back as soon as they open to your stash and grab it so you can pull even more than you could in a day?

Besslers in Northern Kentucky does these.  I think people do end up staging parts.  I’d probably rush in at the beginning of the day and start opening trunks looking for people’s stashes devil

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/12/19 9:07 a.m.

I wish the local Pick N Pulls did this, but they never seem to.

They'll have the occasional "10-20% off certain parts" days, but nothing this fun. I probably wouldn't even bother with the heavy stuff, just grab as many ECUs I can carry and have at it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/19 10:58 a.m.
bluej said:

Was thinking about it, and how does this work for challenge budget purposes?

Say I gather a pair of cylinder heads, a sway bar, and a couple sensors. Is each item $10, or distribute the $50 proportionally depending on the usual price? So say $60/ head, $6 a sensor, and 15 for the sway bar. Normally $147. So 60/148 is ~40%, so each head is ~$20? Or just budget hit of $50, whether you use one or all parts?

grab something you don't need that you know you can sell for $50.  boom, all the other E36 M3 is free to your challenge budget and you've only used $50 recoup.

AngryCorvair
11/12/19 11:01 a.m.
classicJackets said:

U-pull-it in Sterling Heights has this coming up as well, I think it's $65 though

LMK the date and I'll go with in case you need help pulling / carrying stuff.

AngryCorvair
11/12/19 11:03 a.m.
RevRico said:

Man, the only yard with anything semi useful near me does a "all you can drag on a hood" sale for $75 once a year, but I kinda like this better. 

i'd take 4 big caster wheels, a drill and a step bit and some mounting hardware, and roll my hood-shaped cart across the finish line.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/19 11:06 a.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Was planning to do a parts and tools recon effort.  Never thought about doing a parts stash effort and do not plan to do so.  But trunks may be a new focal point.  Just sayin'...

Patrick
11/12/19 11:20 a.m.

I mean, you could go as far as taking a $5 generic gm trunk lock cylinder and installing it in a random buick and stashing your haul in there and taking the keys with you, not that I've given this great thought or anything before.  

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/12/19 11:59 a.m.
Patrick said:

I mean, you could go as far as taking a $5 generic gm trunk lock cylinder and installing it in a random buick and stashing your haul in there and taking the keys with you, not that I've given this great thought or anything before.  

Suddenly it became very clear to me why I will never make it in the outside world...

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/19 12:10 p.m.
Patrick said:

This cracks me up and scares me all at the same time.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/12/19 12:14 p.m.

You'd have to find a really E36 M3 car that no one would bother with trying to break in to the trunk to make it truly work. Like a cavalier or something.

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
11/13/19 7:06 a.m.

It was back in the early '80s, but I recall hearing stories about a friend of a friend visiting an old-time auto junkyard (the kind with trees growing through '50s and '60s cars) and disabling the hood latches on Buick Specials, Olds F-85s, and maybe Pontiac Tempest compacts, to come back at some future date for the 215CID V8 engines. I was there buying pre-Hornet AMC front axles for the car trailer I was building.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/19 10:25 a.m.

A place near Mt. Olive, NC used to do this every Saturday. They'd even let you come in on Friday, pull the parts and set them aside. The catch was that the cars in that area were generally over 15 years old.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/13/19 1:35 p.m.

we have one of these events coming up and they say you are allowed to use a wheel barrow. Last time i went a few years ago i managed to get a mark 8 motor and 8.8 on a wheel barrow and to the gate about 200 yards. i paid 50 bucks lol

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/14/19 9:20 a.m.

Same business owner will sell you an aluminum 5.3 for $400 with harness and computer. $100 extra if you want them to pull it. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/14/19 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

My god that's a damn good deal for an aluminum 5.3 WITH harness and computer, even if they pull themselves.

Where is this at?! I never see local deals this good.

Patrick
11/14/19 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

So pick me up one?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/14/19 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Inquiry sent

Spring Grove PA

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/19 12:47 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
classicJackets said:

LMK the date and I'll go with in case you need help pulling / carrying stuff.

Yep, US Auto in Sterling heights. November 29th (they're making a "black friday") thing of it. The downside is its $60 and you have to carry it 60 feet. 4 times the likelyhood of a hernia compared to the $50 for 15 feet haha. 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
11/15/19 8:40 p.m.
wheels777 said:
Woody said:

I was really hoping that this place was on the good side of Pennsylvania.

Four hours and forty nine minutes away.sad

It is in the good part of Pennsylvania.....10 Drag Strips and 9 Dirt Tracks within 150 miles...Carlisle and Hershey with 50 miles....25 Salvage yards  9 Major Flea Market (not incl Carlisle and Hershey)... what do you want for a car guy haven?

That could be a really good list of places if you are willing to share it smiley

I live in the same general area as you, but I'm still new to this part of the state and don't know all the good places yet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cwazar8SuR1764pXEPRoGKorvFxf5g5YO2jtinftISyKYKwI6kOMLehpafm41pmT