1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
3/21/13 2:21 p.m.

How much work is it to get this, find a rusted out 90 Quattro (sorry, this is the US a 4000 Quattro) and re-create your own?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/21/13 2:25 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: How much work is it to get this, find a rusted out 90 Quattro (sorry, this is the US a 4000 Quattro) and re-create your own?

I was thinking more along the lines of the cheap 200 20vt that will be available in my area soon....

porschenut
porschenut Reader
3/21/13 2:39 p.m.

To turn this into a quattro is no easy job. Gotta cut out most of the floor pan, weld in a quattro one. So no, that is not really an option. No way this is a quattro, BTDT with others. One lady in Phila swore she had a 5000 quattro and it was automatic.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe HalfDork
3/21/13 3:19 p.m.

I worked for Audi during that time and the GT body cars sold in the US were FWD, the Urq was the AWD version and they all had the flared fenders and turbo motors. If it was indeed an AWD it was either converted (lots of work,time and money) or illegally imported through Canada most likely as they were available that way in Europe and other non conforming countries.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/21/13 3:29 p.m.
Supercoupe wrote: I worked for Audi during that time and the GT body cars sold in the US were FWD, the Urq was the AWD version and they all had the flared fenders and turbo motors. If it was indeed an AWD it was either converted (lots of work,time and money) or illegally imported through Canada most likely as they were available that way in Europe and other non conforming countries.

Let me go over this again. I had an 86 coupe quattro - not a conversion or gray market. It was my first new car. Ordered it from forest lane porsche/audi in dallas, tx. alpine white, grey cloth, quattro, digital dash, complete with differential lock on the dash, gray audi circle decals on the door, bunch of hardware underneath... spent something ridiculous like 18.5 for it. Squashed it in dallas traffic a couple of years later.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/21/13 3:46 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

I have seen them also here in the states. The turbo model and one like you owned are on my bucket list of cars. I had a turbo in the mid 90's wish i never sold it

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
3/21/13 3:56 p.m.

Maybe because it was my first new car... but I loved that thing. Really comfy for 4 adults, it always felt planted, just wished it had power. Sad day when I got rear-ended hard - pushed into the car in front.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
3/22/13 9:54 p.m.

Then there is this: http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/3693635444.html

Not a Ur-Quattro, but he says it is.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/13 5:57 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: How much work is it to get this, find a rusted out 90 Quattro (sorry, this is the US a 4000 Quattro) and re-create your own?

No, we called them 90s here, too, starting with the B3 chassis.

The floorpan is different in the rear, and the center tunnel is too low.

It would be easier to find a Quantum (Passat 32b, Santana, etc.) Syncro rear beam and use it, since it is an AWD-ized front drive floorpan instead of a quattro floorpan. Proper trailing arm rear suspension instead of putting the front end in the back end.

I happen to know someone who is doing just this.

The other option is, of course, cutting most of the CGT body away, and attaching a 4000 (80) 2-door floorpan/door pillars/A-pillars, with a few inches removed aft of said door pillars, and essentially creating a Sport clone. There's at least one project moving along those lines, too. The hardest part is finding a 2-door B2 chassis. Rare as hen's teeth in any form, and only one or two confirmed sightings in North America of a 2-door quattro. But you need it if you want the windshield to sit at the proper angle, which is necessary not just for correctness, but also to keep the proportions correct. (Have you SEEN a Dialynx conversion? Ugly!)

You gotta hand it to Audi people. They're not afraid of taking rare, collectible old metal and then attacking it with saws and welders and somehow still managing to come ahead with something better. It probably stems from things like how Audi made the easiest way to get to the timing belt to involve sawing the front of the car out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
knA6PdJUts5L5yo4dmvTieTa4KjM9db3q6PwP9RODfROoSsCFhT9I6I8akS2gO8q