TWHansen
TWHansen New Reader
10/21/09 3:58 p.m.

1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5, located in Milwaukee, WI (can deliver anywhere near southeastern Wisconsin)

I bought this thing as a beater project a year ago and spent over $2,000 getting it roadworthy and running properly, which it does. No mean feat for a 1972 car with factory electronic fuel injection (triggered by points, no less!)

Lots of new parts. New battery. Previous owner put a full stainless dual exhaust on it.

Unfortunately, I managed to lose the title before I could transfer it into my name, and since there's rumors that the LeMons organizers want to see more V8 Benzes in that mess, here it is for $900. Come fetch it out of my parents' yard. They'll love you. They'll cook you dinner.

The car has a brand spankin' new set of whitewall tires on it which I paid $400 for. No joke, the tires have less than 200 miles on them. Since wheels and tires are considered a safety accessory and exempt from the LeMons price limits I am considering them as optional equipment: $500 for the car, $400 for the tires.

That would be $900 total. I will even throw in the remanufactured water pump I ordered just in case.

Power steering pump could use a rebuild, apart from that it's tip-top.

Should be easy to recoup costs selling trim & interior spares off of it, too.

Tim Hansen 262-325-0346

Also selling a virtually rust-free '86 Toyota cargo van project...

More photos at: 1972 Mercedes on economysuperstar.com

A little inspiration:

TWHansen
TWHansen New Reader
10/21/09 8:42 p.m.

I will also consider partial trades of parts and/or parts cars.

I need a radiator and fan clutch assembly and some other bits for a grey-market '86 BMW 528i. My brother hit a deer with his and we're putting it back together.

I also really need a decent set of wheels and tires for my 1994 Volvo 960 wagon; in fact, I could use a complete 960 with working climate control for parts since my fuse box is all melty. If it's a job you want to help me with I'll count your labor towards the trade as well.

While we're at it, I've got a '77 MGB with a flaky Zenith Stromberg carburetor that could do with an upgrade. If any of you are old hands with those and have the parts and knowhow to help me upgrade to twin SU's or something, I'd be interested.

I also have friends that are intent on fielding a team in the Chicago-area LeMons race next year but they have no interest in the Benz or the van. They demand a stick shift and a car shape. Again, I am encouraging them to find a 5-speed Volvo, turbo or not, but consideration will be given to whatever you've got.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
10/21/09 8:47 p.m.

That is a cool old Benz! I don't suppose you need a full T45 Mustang or P71 swap kit? :) I don't have many spare Volvo parts for you (my 740 has taken most of them), but I'd be happy to help you rewire/reclimate your brick.

TWHansen
TWHansen New Reader
10/21/09 9:26 p.m.

I'll keep it in mind. Any suggestions on good junkyards for Volvos around here? I know of Schmidt's in Madison but they're a bit pricey...

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/11 9:42 p.m.

clearly, your grandfather was a canoe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lbxr6WpQUt87JVal8BZYIRSiHOmn2ewBNdyhC9LKSGwa0eQRbtf9rKusaCoKMITk