dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/9/12 10:56 a.m.

Asking $2000, more flexible for GRMers. Hopefully I'll remember to take more pictures tonight, but for now:

With much hesitation and likely regret, I'm selling my truck. It is a 1996 Chevy C2500 HD, standard cab long bed. The HD model has the 1-ton full floating rear axle and the 454 big block v8. Automatic (4l80e) with overdrive. It has a Class IV frame hitch, a gooseneck hitch, and a trailer brake controller along with the more modern style of trailer connector. It's the Silverado trim level with a nice cloth split bench/armrest, power locks and windows, cruise, extra power outlets, basically all the creature comforts they saw fit to put in a 3/4 ton truck in 1996.

The truck has 275k miles or so, but is well maintained. I didn't get records when I bought the truck, but the engine is tight and has either been rebuilt or is a very well maintained example. A/C worked last year but I haven't tried it yet this year. The tires are worn "mud terrain" tires so you'll probably want new ones.

The body is in good condition but with rust through in the cab corners and a bit of rust through in the front fenders. The bed, while clearly used for doing actual work, doesn't have rust through anywhere and is in exceptional condition for the age. The back bumper has significant hidden rust under the plastic step trim. The passenger side door lock cylinder doesn't work to unlock the door.

The parking brake has started to drag from time to time. I think it's a rusted adjuster or cable, and if I get around to it I plan to disconnect the cable to make sure that fixes it.

Within the last year or so I have put on: new rear brake shoes, hardware, drums, new shocks, new radiator, and new exhaust.

This is a perfectly serviceable truck. With a good once over I would be willing to drive it anywhere, though the gas mileage is pretty bad. (12-13mpg highway empty, 8-10mpg with a bed full and towing 5000 pounds.) It's all set up for towing, which I almost never do any more.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
5/9/12 11:03 a.m.

I bought one of those new in 91. Mine had a 4spd manual - good basic truck with little to go wrong.

GLWS

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
5/9/12 1:30 p.m.

Finally, you post something I don't absolutely need. Though I never have owned a pickup....

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/9/12 1:45 p.m.

You need this to get the scooter home to Dayton! ;-)

Powar
Powar Dork
5/9/12 2:17 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Finally, you post something I don't absolutely need. Though I never have owned a pickup....

So don't. You'll likely never want to be without again if you do.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/9/12 2:59 p.m.
Powar wrote:
PubBurgers wrote: Finally, you post something I don't absolutely need. Though I never have owned a pickup....
So don't. You'll likely never want to be without again if you do.

Exactly. I use this really rarely, but when I do use it it's a godsend. I'm really not excited about being without a pickup, but really want a more fun vehicle and can't have all the vehicles I want. Owning a pickup is a blessing and a curse. You realize just how useful they are and then you don't want to be without one.

alex
alex UltraDork
5/10/12 10:19 a.m.

^ Also, everyone asks to borrow it.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
5/10/12 10:44 a.m.

Get a Dually with a manual trans, that reduces most of the requests to borrow it. Especially if it is an older model truck (pre-90s). Diesels usually have the same effect.

To the OP, that is a good deal on that truck. Too bad I already have mine.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/10/12 11:11 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Get a Dually with a manual trans, that reduces most of the requests to borrow it.

Then they just ask if you'll help them move in person instead of lending them your truck.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/10/12 2:57 p.m.

Price drop to $1800... Anyone?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/15/12 10:13 p.m.

I worked on the "brakes dragging" issue today by disconnecting the e-brake line from the driver's side brake shoes. The brakes do not drag at all now. The truck drives great. It's not fixed exactly since it doesn't have a parking brake now, but I'll throw in a couple bricks or 2x4's if you feel compelled to have a parking brake.

I forgot to mention, the gooseneck hitch ball is fully removable so the 8' bed is completely usable. The hitch is included, it's behind the seat in the cab.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/29/13 11:04 a.m.

A year later and I still have this. I was driving it to work for a few days and the rear brake hard line let go. So here's what it needs to be safely drivable:

1) New brake hard line from engine bay to rear axle - simple line, shouldn't take more than a few hours to fix. 2) New front passenger side wheel bearing - it's started making noise at speed.

It still runs great and I have moved it around with just the front brakes. I wouldn't drive it on the road like that.

I'm willing to sell it as-is for $1200. I've got a bunch of demands on my time right now and won't have time to touch this for well over a month. Anyone needs a cheap tow rig this is it. Drives like a real vehicle, even. I will regret this sale but 5 cars is 2 too many, and this one gets barely any usage.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
5/29/13 12:01 p.m.
dculberson wrote: The HD model has the 1-ton full floating rear axle......

I would tighten that axle down - . All kidding aside - educate me on this as I have no clue what this is.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/29/13 1:28 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
dculberson wrote: The HD model has the 1-ton full floating rear axle......
I would tighten that axle down - . All kidding aside - educate me on this as I have no clue what this is.

Hehe, but then it won't float! It just means the axle shaft goes on outside of the brake drum. The result is that the axle and the wheel bearings are lubricated by the gear oil in the rear end. I think that the term "floating axle" come from the fact that it's "floating" in gear oil. But I'm not sure.

Seriously if anyone is interested in this truck let me know. I've been known to be quite flexible in pricing when I really decide to let something go. I'm not quite there yet but a cash offer would do a lot to persuade me.

And if it's still here in a month or so I'll fix the brake line and wheel bearing and start advertising it more aggressively.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/29/13 1:32 p.m.

Full-floaters have the end of the axle tube (which is thick steel, about an 1" or so) machined to accept a hub which the wheel mounts to. The axle shaft goes through the axle hub and bolts to the outer part of the hub. The axle shaft only transmits torque, it doesn't carry any weight, the hub and axle tube carry all the weight. You can see it here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/images/DCP_6331.JPG

Edit, more images to show it better Here is the end of the axle tube without the hub http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/dsc01072n.jpg/

Here is the end assembled with brakes (fixed link issue) http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?photoid=105168&.jpg=

Hope these help a bit more

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/29/13 3:08 p.m.

E36 M3 this is tempting, I could drive this to detroit and use the engine as a donor for the suburban then part the rest...

is this 2wd or 4wd? dana 60 front mayhaps???

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
5/29/13 3:14 p.m.

Dude, I'm glad you and I don't live closer to each other. I'd be peeking at the abandoned hulks in your yard, and vice versa. Would love a hauling pick 'em up. Hope someone grabs it from you...it should clear up quite a large spot so you can convince the wifey that it should be filled.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/30/13 10:26 a.m.

@fidelity: It's 2wd, so no front drive axle. Obviously the brakes would need fixed before a Detroit trip and I would recommend the wheel bearing since it's noisy and that's about a 5 hour drive. A failed wheel bearing on that trip would not be fun.

@Klayfish: Fortunately wifey is pretty forgiving when it comes to cars as long as her car port is empty. I've got two to get rid of as they are (and I am) ready and then I'll think about another one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cVc3pWcH8YKLWNCsFaIU6R1qkVWdgIJwu02UG29knjByaTVzRXduo7fRkCI91a29