That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/15 5:16 a.m.
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/7/15 6:31 a.m.

Wow. For $600 each you can't go wrong, can you?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
12/7/15 7:50 a.m.

Time for a spec series!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/15 9:01 a.m.

Group buy?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/15 9:15 a.m.

I hear those things are a blast.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/7/15 9:30 a.m.

What would one sell for in running condition? Didn't they have some issues?

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/7/15 10:03 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Well the ad says he has another two available, fully gone through and ready to go, for $1500 each, and claims they retail for $1800-2500.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/7/15 11:34 a.m.

23 schools can get an FSAE program a fast start.

Or 23 Challenge Locost seeds.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/7/15 11:54 a.m.
RedGT wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: Well the ad says he has another two available, fully gone through and ready to go, for $1500 each, and claims they retail for $1800-2500.

Yea, I'm sure he wouldn't stretch a bit. I checked and saw prices from $1,000 to $2,500. Opinions weren't very positive.

ridinwitcj73
ridinwitcj73 New Reader
12/7/15 12:06 p.m.
Woody wrote: Group buy?

I'm in! We just need 21 more buyers.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/7/15 4:03 p.m.

That'd be a pretty cheap starter bike.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/7/15 4:10 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: 23 schools can get an FSAE program a fast start. Or 23 Challenge Locost seeds.

Ehhh, they'd be vastly inferior to most stuff I've seen FSAE use....basically figure a 500cc class engine that made, 30hp & 30tq. I guess you could put one at each corner of your locost and enjoy the wonders of 20-25 awhp.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/7/15 6:52 p.m.

CL ad is down, but I'm assuming this is literally a truckload of Blasts? I think HD dealers used these for their MSF classes, bet this was a former fleet.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
12/7/15 7:48 p.m.

It was a former fleet.

They are always for sale for $1500, and never sell at that price. Basically worth a grand for a running bike, which none of these were.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/15 8:15 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
alfadriver wrote: 23 schools can get an FSAE program a fast start. Or 23 Challenge Locost seeds.
Ehhh, they'd be vastly inferior to most stuff I've seen FSAE use....basically figure a 500cc class engine that made, 30hp & 30tq. I guess you could put one at each corner of your locost and enjoy the wonders of 20-25 awhp.

Single cylinder I think.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/8/15 8:09 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:

For a group of students starting from 0, with little to no support, the engine is the most expensive thing- so having a bad engine for cheap is better than not having one at all. As I see it.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/8/15 8:17 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
For a group of students starting from 0, with little to no support, the engine is the most expensive thing- so having a bad engine for cheap is better than not having one at all. As I see it.

As a follow up to my own post- this is the kind of engine that greatly simplifies a FSAE car- air cooled means it only needs an oil cooler, single cylinder means that you can reach the flow limit at a lower speed, fewer things to break, etc....

For a beginner team, even one that wants to do head work, this would be a good and simple powertrain.

With two bikes, you also have a 4 brake calipers for cheap.

Considering the original intent of FSAE was to build a budget autocrosser, it's not a massive stretch to put Locost and GRM challenge to make a cheap car that still would be reasonably fast. Not top 10, sure, but considering how many cars break, it could be fast enough.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/15 4:01 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote:

Much truth here. I was part of a first year Formula Hybrid team (FSAE with a 250cc ICE displacement limit and additional electric propulsion.) We had literally zero financial support and were out of pocket for every piece we couldn't convince someone to donate to us. We had a POS Honda ATV engine that was really poorly suited to our use for many reasons (but free), brakes/hubs/wheels/tires from an E30 that probably outweighed our entire system the next year a one corner alone (but free), all cobbled into a chassis that had more closely resembled a piece of construction equipment than a racecar.

But we put a car together and got it to competition (although never got it actually driving), which was enough to convince the school we weren't a bunch of shiny happy people who wanted to squander or steal their money. The next year we got almost $20k in funding. Mission accomplished.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/9/15 5:44 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
As a follow up to my own post- this is the kind of engine that greatly simplifies a FSAE car- air cooled means it only needs an oil cooler, single cylinder means that you can reach the flow limit at a lower speed, fewer things to break, etc.... For a beginner team, even one that wants to do head work, this would be a good and simple powertrain. With two bikes, you also have a 4 brake calipers for cheap. Considering the original intent of FSAE was to build a budget autocrosser, it's not a massive stretch to put Locost and GRM challenge to make a cheap car that still would be reasonably fast. Not top 10, sure, but considering how many cars break, it could be fast enough.

Very valid points, it's just most at this point I see are running underworked 4cyl 600's or 650 twins. The blast engine is about the same as throwing a 250cc twin from a ninja in there, except the 250 would be liquid cooled and rev higher/quicker.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xDJ1nCUY7D46iqQzrHMY9bmRlFTbpvKAVjD2oen4bF4InGQ5ZiwjWegvNfRgy2hz