Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/18 11:01 a.m.

After a good bit of consideration I've decided that I won't be holding onto the Rampage after this year's Challenge. It's a lot of fun to drive and I really do like it a lot, but with only being able to have a limited number of vehicles it really doesn't fill a role that I need filled after this year's Challenge and I'd rather have a non-project vehicle in that slot so I can focus all my wrenching on what I really need to be focusing on (the DMC).

Build thread is here: 1982 Dodge Rampage Turbo

Basic info:

• 1982 Dodge Rampage body. Has a moderate amount of rust, but is solid overall and looks decent
  • 2.5L Turbo-I engine from a 1989 LeBaron convertible (per PO). Now has a front-mount intercooler added in, but computer has not be modded to truly take advantage of it
  • Front end, hood, and ground effects from a similar-era Shelby Dodge, likely a Charger
  • Comes with a set of 13-inch diameter 9-inch wide R-comp AX tires & rims AND another set of un-mounted tires of the exact same variety (street wheels/tires aren't included, in the price but can be added in outside of the sale price so they're not in budget)

With luck by the time of the Challenge it will be repainted the car (standard Shelby Dodge scheme in silver & teal) and I'll have adapted the S-10 rear sway bar to it to stiffen up the rear end. Doesn't overall have a lot of mods beyond the engine swap (and things necessary for it like new fuel pump/sender, etc.), but they include:

• Adjustable air shocks in the rear allow softer/stiffer rear suspension
  • Cold air intake
  • FMIC
  • Revised gauge cluster- temp & boost gauge added in gauge cluster and 2" tach on top of the dash (where it will hopefully be easier to see to shift when drag racing- not that I'll need that feature this year...). Oil pressure gauge under center of dash (below radio)

Obviously will not be available until after the Challenge this year since it's my entry, but it can thus be picked up there or potentially delivered (within reason) between Gainesville and Lexington, KY.

I'll of course be more than happy to answer questions on it, and will post pictures one the painting is done (since the pictures in the build thread & from the Challenge last year are pretty much what it looks like at the moment).

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
9/12/18 11:04 a.m.

Already have one Rabbit pickup in the project queue that needs attention first and I really don't need to add another fwd pickup to the fleet, but man that's tempting.  Loved this project all along.  Good luck with the sale!  

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/12/18 11:49 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf :

Thanks! Good luck with the Rabbit, that should be fun!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/12/18 1:57 p.m.

Whoever buys this thing inherits Robert's right to free Turbo Dodge Tech Support via text messaging me. cheeky

GLWS!

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/17/18 9:22 a.m.

Finally remembered to take a look at the R-comps and note what they were to post here- they're 255/40ZR13 A6's. Four are mounted on wheels and have a whole lot more life left on them, the 4 new and un-used ones are (obviously) not- so you're getting a total of 8 autocross tires with the car.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/17/18 1:30 p.m.

You should include some pics, it’s a neat looking rig.

Fun fact: the street wheels on it used to be mine but I didn’t sell them directly to Bob.  They had been the street shoes on my 97 Miata when I sold it last year and a deal happened between two of my friends who didn’t know each other.

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/17/18 3:35 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Since I'm in the process of painting it I was going to hold off until it was done- but here are a few.

First is one of the few I have with the street tires & wheels on it- this is on the trailer on the way to the Challenge last year:

Here's a shot from the Autocross last year, with the A6's and rims (yeah, they're WIIIIIDE) on it:

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/18 3:40 p.m.

Those autocross rims have been passed around also. The history as known by me was GT, NordicSaab, Me, then I borrowed them out and they got passed to Robert. I was as fine with him just borrowing them but when I named a price he just reached for his wallet. That truck looked cool as hell on them. Wanna trade for a slightly modified Q45?

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/18/18 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The wheels & tires really saved the day for me last year, and I couldn't argue with the price! Getting the spare set of tires from GT (that had originally been intended for these same rims as well) was icing on the cake. If I'd been a bit more on the ball (and had a bit less of life going on) I'd have loved to put some fender flares on the truck to better fit the tires, but they work well enough even without them.

Unfortunately for the time being I'm more looking to just reduce the number of vehicles we have and in particular to drop the number of project/in-work ones down to just the DMC so I have to focus my efforts on it. Down the line we'll likely be looking to pick up a convertible to fill the last slot in my allotted number of vehicles, but whatever that is will need to be fairly reliable out of the gate (which means I'm highly unlikely to get a late-model Corvair convertible like I'd really like to have...).

Ashyukun (Robert)
9/19/18 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

It cannot be overstated how helpful Vigo was in getting the Rampage up and running, so this will doubtless be quite helpful for a buyer who isn't intimately aware of all of the little details of Turbo Dodges!

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/6/18 8:11 p.m.

So, a few updates on this. First, the first of the two colors of paint is on:

Second, I picked up a tow dolly that we will be using to tow the Rampage down with- so if you wanted both the car & dolly we could perhaps work out a deal for both.

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/8/18 8:56 a.m.

Accent paint will be going on this evening, so I should have 'finished' paint pictures tomorrow once I pull off all the tape and masking.

A few notes- Since space will be somewhat at a premium, I will not for certain be bringing down the spare set of A6s to the Challenge unless I know there are people who are interested in buying in the truck. So, to an extent, the space A6s can be considered a 'pre-order bonus'- if you're considering buying this, let me know by Wednesday evening (when we'll be packing everything up). A similar caveat applies to the decent number of extra parts- I'm not too keen to haul all of the parts 700 miles there and then potentially back again unnecessarily. The parts though are something that would still be part of the sale regardless of whether they're with the truck in Florida, so you could either come pick them up here in Lexington or we could work out getting them to you some other way.

I ended up not going forward with putting the S-10 rear sway bar on the truck- it is quite possible to do, it just would have taken more time and fabrication than I wanted to devote to it, so while it will not be on the truck it will be included in the parts that go along with it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/10/18 10:42 a.m.

First looks at the Rampage after paint:

Will try and get up better pictures this afternoon once I've got the hood back on and (if I have time) the vinyl lettering.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/19 12:27 p.m.

Bumping this back up heading into summer, and lowering the price- for any GRMers, especially those who may be interested in the Rampage for future Challenge runs, I'm making the price $1,600.

Only other change from the original listing is that it does not include the FMIC- frankly without reflashing the computer it wasn't worth it so I pulled it off to use on another project. I believe that it needs new CX axles- they're the only thing I can determine being behind the noise from the front end. 

The street wheels on it in the pictures are not included as the race wheels/tires are, but can be included for another $100,

More recent pictures can be found in the CL listing: https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/d/lexington-1982-shelby-dodge-rampage/6884299606.html

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/9/19 6:24 a.m.

Man this is such a cool project, and I'm suprised no one has taken it yet. Wish I had the budget and space.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/9/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Catlas_Se7en :

Thanks!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/19 9:05 a.m.

If I didnt have so much junk I would love to have this! 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/9/19 4:14 p.m.

Whoever buys this thing should get with me. I got a minivan (+700lbs heavier?) within a few hundredths of a second of cracking a 13 second 1/4 mile with this drivetrain. Could be a whole lot of fun for $1600!

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/9/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

It was rather disappointing that the drags were canceled last year- I was looking forward to throwing drag tires on it and running it down the strip with the right tires and a working turbo (the first year the wastegate actuator arm kept coming off on the 1/2 shift and leaving the wastegate open...).

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/19 12:08 p.m.

OK... I'll nibble. Maybe. Does this thing have AC components still in it? working? AC is a must down here. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/15/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

It does not currently have any of the AC components installed- but it does come with what should be all of the components. When the engine was swapped the AC hardware was not swapped over but was given to me when I bought the car. When I replaced the heater core (which required removing the dash) I pulled the condenser out (because racecar) as well but still have it. 

So, in theory everything necessary to have AC should be included- but it is definitely a 'some assembly required' situation, and I have no idea the condition of the compressor. Also, none of the under-hood wiring (the turbo engine harness) for the AC has been connected up to the body harness, so there'll be some wiring fun to be dealt with. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/19 12:40 p.m.

hmmm. Something to think about. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/15/19 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

The vent/heat/fan does all still work (can't not have heat/defrost here) as a note.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/19 1:19 p.m.

Email sent

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pqNW7ZpsaRQrAxyMBP1KMeH8vJwKn6xDiUCxv4DVRx1pGNJEU8vtwurBCDBtd4Zl