JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/18/17 11:53 p.m.

I have way too many cars and material chaos is starting to wear upon my psyche.

I'd like to sell this MR2 to someone who will build a challenge car out of it (but I don't demand this).

It is a rust-free '86 MR2 with 90k on it. But it is an automatic. It needs paint (the doors are a different color, for one thing). The head-gasket is blown, though it still will run, and it will need a battery and alternator. I would love to see someone swap a different drive train into this thing. You could almost zero-out your budget just by selling the triangle wheels and tires, and there's a lot more left to pick off to make a bit of money on the side.

This is the car, but since this picture was taken, the C-pillar trim, clear visor, side skirts, exhaust, and mud gaurds have been sold off. Also the doors were replaced with different (straight, rust free) doors of another color. (Someone needed a nice black door).

Also, imagine it a lot dirtier and covered in leaves.

quark
quark New Reader
11/19/17 4:21 p.m.

interested, will PM when I get back later today!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/19/17 10:42 p.m.

I didn't receive anything yet. You might try james31416  at  g m a i l .com

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
11/20/17 9:23 a.m.

Thank goodness you're far away from Florida. If you were close enough that I could do it this week, I'd already be on my way to your house.

For anybody that buys this–I have the entire drivetrain + accessories from a supercharged MR2 (manual trans) sitting in my shed. Even have the ECU, A/C compressor, etc. Let me know if you're interested.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/20/17 4:08 p.m.

If I didn't already have a Challenge car in progress or didn't have a SWMBO-imposed limit on vehicles, I'd be snatching this up- I love the old MR2s and have always wanted one.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/21/17 10:32 a.m.
Ashyukun said:

If I didn't already have a Challenge car in progress or didn't have a SWMBO-imposed limit on vehicles, I'd be snatching this up- I love the old MR2s and have always wanted one.

Yeah, that's too bad. It woulda been cool to chat with you again. Honestly I thought someone would snatch this up pretty quick at this price, but I guess I'm in a bad location.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/17 11:48 a.m.

If I didn't already own 2 $250 mid engine cars that have no engines, I would be all over this. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/17 3:43 p.m.

Is it truly rust free or rust for an IL car?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/21/17 4:55 p.m.

It came from Texas. There are definitely no holes anywhere - nothing hidden behind the skirts or in door jambs. If there are areas you want pictures of I can take some more.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/21/17 4:58 p.m.

The pic above shows a dent in the door and the door handle pushed in a bit, but that door was replaced with another straight one from another Texas MR2 I have but wish I didn't. And that's not rust peeking out of the edge of the skirt, behind the door, its dirt.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/17 5:30 p.m.

Any chance you also have the parts lying around to manual swap this guy?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/17 5:41 p.m.

Man this is a 14hr drive away :( 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/21/17 5:57 p.m.
psteav said:

Any chance you also have the parts lying around to manual swap this guy?

If I did I probably wouldn't be selling it. Even if I only had the shifter, cables, and pedals, I'd probably try to keep it.

But I'd never get to it.... I really need to pare back and focus on other cars and other things.

If someone wants this to become a street car, I might be able to help with C-pillar trim, and my other Texas parts car still has a decent exhaust. We could work out a deal.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
11/21/17 6:14 p.m.

didn't these cars use the same transmission as the corolla ?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/21/17 7:21 p.m.

I believe that is correct.

mtgawesome
mtgawesome New Reader
11/26/17 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Would you include the drivetrain and accessories if we bought the car?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/26/17 7:17 p.m.
mtgawesome said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Would you include the drivetrain and accessories if we bought the car?

He and I are not the same person. (I hope I am correct in interpreting your comment as a mis-reading of this thread -  the alternative is frightening.)

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/27/17 7:02 a.m.

Dammit.  At the Challenge after seeing the Toyota with no suspension bouncing around the autocross I made the comment I could buy (yet another) MR2 and do the same thing, and shoot for the 1/2 budget award.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/27/17 8:39 a.m.
Jerry said:

Dammit.  At the Challenge after seeing the Toyota with no suspension bouncing around the autocross I made the comment I could buy (yet another) MR2 and do the same thing, and shoot for the 1/2 budget award.

You ain't that far away.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/17 11:27 a.m.

Damn it would you sell this already so I can stop thinking about it?

quark
quark New Reader
11/27/17 11:36 a.m.

sorry i didn't email, held up with some other things and no longer in a position to buy. good luck with the sale!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ZNyvQYSFSksBD5vKfKDnlG4KUzmKY3K5QzgNrHoBnjhFLEisj1mh7skS4fjRa01