WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/17 9:38 p.m.

Stats:

-Engine: 1.3l 2-rotor turbo engine with street port, 460cc primary injectors, 1000cc secondaries, front mount intercooler, manual boost controller and crushed DSM BOV, racing beat 3" turbo-back exhaust

-ECU: Megasquirt 1 on 2.2 board, using *error's daughterboard for spark control and relay board.

-Suspension: KYB AGX with racing beat springs, energy Suspension bushings everywhere, rear toe eliminator bushings.

-Body and interior: surprisingly good shape, very little rust, only behind the drivers door where there looks to be a poorly repaired dent. Otherwise just scratches and minor dents.

-----The story so far ------

It's time to face reality and realize I'll never get to do half of what I wanted to accomplish with this 1988 Rx7. 

I bought this car more than 10 years ago, swapped in this street ported engine, wired up a megasquirt to tune it and immediately pushed it to the back burner. A few years later, determined to do something with it, I sorted the wiring enough to get it running well, did some tuning, put in the KYB agx, hawk HPS brake pads, racing beat 3" turbo back exhaust and took it out to a track day and a bunch of autocrosses. It was running well!

5 years ago, it moved to CT with me where it drove onto the trailer and off. There is sat (on pavement). I started it every few months, even took it on a few spins around the block, but then some fuel leak sidelined that 2 years ago. 

Tonight, it fired right up until the fuel leak kicked in again and it died.

You should probably plan on a complete rewire at this point as well as replacing all rubber lines. Obviously, it needs work to be finished and put back on the track where it belongs :)

Let's make it $1850 for a GRMer, $2850 if you see it on Craigslist :)

I do have some spares you can have with it too help recoup costs, too, like a spare tranny and turbo.

Please call with any questions,

Aaron

570-974-1786.

​​​

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
9/10/17 4:20 p.m.

i may have missed it, where is it?

WonkoTheSane
9/10/17 4:21 p.m.

No, you didn't miss it.. I totally forgot to put it up.

I'm in Stafford, CT.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/17 4:32 p.m.

Good luck with the sale! Glad you're far away and the ad has the word "rust" in it.

WonkoTheSane
9/10/17 4:37 p.m.

Thanks!  One of the reasons I bought this car aeons ago was because it doesn't really have any rust underneath, just that spot near the door.  That's due to a crappy repair, not due to the latitude..

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/17 10:42 a.m.

Don't make this hard for me!

WonkoTheSane
9/11/17 10:59 a.m.

...Mayyyybe I'll take some undercarriage pictures tonight.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/11/17 2:05 p.m.

Im not looking...la la la la ...Im not looking....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/17 8:25 p.m.

Oh my........

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/11/17 8:28 p.m.

Gah I want this but for the wrong reasons. I couldn't do that to you...

WonkoTheSane
9/11/17 8:33 p.m.

No such thing as the wrong reason.. feel free to part it out as long as you use it for awesome..

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/11/17 8:36 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Is it an S4 or S5 TII motor? 

Let me talk to the wife. The RX3 needs a heart and trans plus I know someone here (paging Mazda605) needs parts for his 10th anniversary for RX7 cheap or free. This would speed things along greatly.

WonkoTheSane
9/11/17 8:38 p.m.

An Rx3 would definitely qualify as awesome!

I believe it's an S4, but I'll have to verify it.  It does not have an OMP, it's blocked off..

WonkoTheSane
9/11/17 9:31 p.m.

Yes, it's definitely an S4.

WonkoTheSane
9/11/17 9:32 p.m.

Oh, and I do have a mechanical MOP & injectors if you want to put it back on in the box o' spare engine bits..

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/12/17 9:49 a.m.

Exterior wise it looks like a photo copy of my Lemons car.

Great price for a simple project.

WonkoTheSane
9/12/17 10:13 a.m.

Thanks Dave! 

That has me thinking..

Perhaps sweeten the pot:  You can borrow my air over hydraulic tubing bender for three months, and I'll sell you a bunch of 1.75x.095 DOM for what I paid for it with purchase of the car? :)

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/12/17 11:19 a.m.

Interesting, but my car is neither an S4, or an Anniversary Edition. Just a regular 89 TII.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/14/17 9:10 p.m.

Damn. I really don't need to see this. Same color as my old FC. I already have a rusty RX-8 that I need to do things to tho... 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/15/17 6:53 a.m.

Well if I lived in ct still we'd be talking. But no longer. 

WonkoTheSane
9/15/17 6:56 a.m.

Yeah, I don't think this one is worth shipping across the country :)

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
9/15/17 11:07 a.m.

Hrm, I only own one RX-7. That probably isn't enough RX-7s. Good thing I don't have space for this, it looks like it'd make a really fun RallyX car. GLWS!

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/15/17 11:10 a.m.

Dragging my feet because I need to see how this month turns out before I can make any commitments. I hate delaying projects so if I commit to moving forward with the RX3 it's going until it's done which might get expensive.

SWMBO is on board though.

WonkoTheSane
9/15/17 11:12 a.m.

I totally understand that one.. I've parted out two 91 BRG Miatas to acquire a perfect interior and good exterior base..  I haven't done anything to MY 91 yet, because when I do, it's going down to a shell and getting everything sorted out properly.   No sense in starting a project with the intention to do it half-way.

WonkoTheSane
9/24/17 4:12 p.m.

Whoo hoo!  It runs again under it's own power!

New fuel lines, tightening a few others and draining the 5+year old (nasty green) gas did the trick!

It's not quite running well yet, but it's doing a lot better :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ekVH3CYDcGnziT9TqhBg5nVHm5weBAEJBl5M4cMGoEicdRXOkOehTk8a3RL5bkOB