1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/18/17 4:39 p.m.

Okay, well maybe not a steal, but it got you to look didn't it?  This car was my DD until I decided to make it a father and son project when my twins turned 14.   That was 8 years ago.    Why didn't it happen?  None of your business.

The car is mostly disassembled at this point, as the point was to teach my kids about all the different systems in the car.  It rolls, but the brakes and shocks/springs have been removed.  Everything in the interior is removed except the dashboard, which is in good condition.  The interior as a whole was in good condition, and my plan was only to replace the carpet.   Even the factory Recaro seats are nice. 

The body is solid, but the outer rockers need replaced ( Replacements go with the car).  The replacements cover ALL of the rocker rust, so once they are installed the serious rust will be gone.  I can install them (the right way) for an extra fee.   It will also need a gas tank.

The engine was running well and the trans was fine when I stopped driving it.   I'm going to have to go out and look at the mileage, but by memory it was around 115k.  I also have another engine and rebuilt trans that could go with it for a nominal extra cost (have you seen the price of used stuff for this car lately?).  I also have a DC header and custom made stainless steel exhaust, although the muffler needs replaced.  I have everything to put it back together and some extras as well. 

This would be a great car to restore or turn into a race car.   If you wanted to build it into a challenge car, you could probably sell enough parts off of it to make the starting point free.  

Here's a link to pictures.   These are to give you a general idea of the condition, but I have enough that someone could use them as a guide to put the car back together.  Believe me, this is one of those rare instances where the car looks better than the pictures, especially the underside.  The rust is nothing, trust me (you can do that, can't you?).

The picture below is shortly before we started disassembling it.  As you can see, its still a pretty good car.   Go Kart and wheels and tires are not included.  

Asking $1400.   

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/bravenrace/1990%20Honda%20Civic%20si%20For%20Sale/story

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/18/17 9:04 p.m.

I may be slightly interested in the spare engine and trans. What are the details?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/20/17 8:50 a.m.

Engine is good, but needs rings.  Trans is rebuilt.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/21/17 12:03 p.m.

Damn no money, space, time.... I would love this as a project, but sad panda don't see it happening.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/25/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to LopRacer 

Funny.  I hear those sentiments a lot.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/8/17 5:05 p.m.

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/11/17 8:54 a.m.

I am amazed this hasn't sold.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/11/17 10:42 a.m.

Now this would be worth getting. But I just don’t have the cash. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/17 11:17 a.m.

You say it's rolling but springs and shocks are out? Is it sitting on the bumpstops or something? (not super important but might help to know if work needs to be done before it can go on a trailer or not).

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/11/17 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

2x4's.  I have stock springs that go with it and may be able to scrounge up some stock shocks, but I need someone to be interested enough first before I'm going to dig it all out of my barn.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/14/17 9:22 a.m.

C'mon, this is a good deal!  come look at it and you'll see!  Don't like the price?  Make me an offer?  There's enough parts that come with this car that you could significantly offset the cost of buying it. 

danneskjold
danneskjold GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/14/17 9:42 a.m.

I'm in the market for a civic of this type, but am staying clear of this one. Stop reading now if you're easily offended, but here is some friendly advice::

1. You ad copy sounds like a bad used car salesman. Anytime somebody says, "believe me" or "trust me" warning flags go up in the buyer's mind. Starting off by calling it a steal, and then making the reader feel like a sucker for clicking on it makes the issue worse, and saying "none of your business" to a question that wasn't asked is...weird. 

2. Clearly state what is included with the car. You mention the possibility of extra engine (which is good, but needs rings?), transmissions, shocks, or fixing the rust. If you're willing to include those, state the price. You're trying to use them as bargaining chips, but it just muddies the water.

3. Based on your post history, this is the second time you've tried to sell the car, and it looks like the price is significantly higher this time. Why did you nuke the first posting? Again, it just makes it look like you're hiding something. Your car is rusty, in pieces, and possibly incomplete-you need to have the trust of the buyer.

This car should have sold by now. Fix the listing so you sound credible and post the pictures of what you claim to have. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/14/17 10:09 a.m.

Dan, I realize you're new here but bravenrace isn't. He is well known and well liked, as well as trusted. He is talking to us, not some CL junkie. Please look at the ad through those eyes, instead of one who is marketing to people unknown. We are a community, and not a bunch or unknown, no faces.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
12/14/17 10:11 a.m.

Bravenrace, FWIW, I'd love to buy it and may be interested in a few months. If I were to buy it now, I'd be looking for a marriage counselor, or divorce lawyer. LOL

danneskjold
danneskjold GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/14/17 10:39 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

If he thinks the ad is marketing to the few dozen people on the forum he "knows" then there is an additional problem-he doesn't understand his market. In general there is a 1:10 ratio on internet forums of people that actively participate vs. people that lurk. For every possible buyer (like you) that knows Braverace through forum interaction, there are 9 (like me) who don't. I would suggest he view his ad through the lens of the other 9...because right now he hasn't found a buyer while "talking to us", despite trying for months.

Actually, having this discussion in public is probably helping him sell it-more visibility and you've put the community on the spot to ante up.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/14/17 11:29 a.m.

In reply to danneskjold :

I know how to sell a car. I've owned over 100 of them.  I am only interested in selling this car to a forum member, so that's how it's worded.  Most people here know this car to one extent or another, and I've been on this forum since it started many years ago.  So while I know you are trying to help, I really don't need it.  But thanks for playing.  :)

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/17 12:22 p.m.

Welcome to the forum! Geesh guys. I think he was trying to help and I think the feedback is valid. Bravenrace, you asked why no one is coming to look, got and answer, and then said you don't need help selling.

I don't know what comes with the car. From re-reading the ad, it looks like you are selling a car that should mostly be complete, minus a carpet and wheels, and plus a header and exhaust with bad muffler. You have and engine and trans you are willing to sell too, but you don't list the asking price. You keep saying you are including enough parts to nearly zero out the cost of the car, but unless a DC header is really valuable, it sounds to me like to recoup anything I'll be left with an incomplete car!

You also state that you need someone to be interested before you go dig up what you have out of the barn... That sounds like the wrong order to me.how can someone be interested in what you are selling before you tell them what you are selling?

I'm interested in this project, but I am too far away to just swing by your house and dig through your barn myself. And even if I do that, are you then going to try and negotiate those extras as increasing the selling price? 

I can't even start to get serious about this until you are serious. Simple as that.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/14/17 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Hey, then don't buy it.  I'm okay with that.  This is great car for a cheap price, and anyone that knows these cars knows that.  Don't expect an ad on par with a $50,000 collector car.   I'll have more details when I dig it out of the barn, and I'm not doing that until someone says they are seriously interested.  I'm recovering from surgery and digging it out right now is a big undertaking.  Sorry if you don't like that, but I have a life and life circumstances, and sometimes I just don't feel like I should have to go into extreme detail to justify myself.  Look at the car.   If you like it, contact me and we will talk more.  If not, fine.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/14/17 1:51 p.m.

Look, I'm not advertising this car anywhere else.  I want it to go to a forum member.  I thought if anyone, you guys would understand my circumstances, and the need to know someone is a serious buyer before I go through a ton of trouble.   If I was desperate to sell it, then yes, I would inventory everything, take more pictures, etc...  But then the price would be higher and the link I provided shows just about every part of the car, so if you need more information, just ask a question.  I will have an answer.   Sorry if I sound snarky, but its been a really bad day (true story - 3 cars stuck in the driveway before 7am that I had to unstick.   Then get a call and one that had left 10 minutes earlier is dead on the road.  After that debacle, I go to fire up the tractor to plow the drive and it doesn't start.  Once I get that resolved, I freeze my ass off plowing the drive.  I go inside to warm up and the furnace isn't working and its 59 degrees in the house!  I mess with that for hours, diagnose the problem and then find out I can't get parts.  Now I'm waiting for the repair man to show up, who I am pretty sure is going to tell me he can't get parts...and charge me a couple hundred bucks for the information) and my tolerance for criticism is very, very, low...

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/22/17 10:29 a.m.

HOLIDAY PRICE DROP!  $1200

Fueled by Caffeine
12/23/17 12:09 p.m.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

how the hell do I get a car that isn't together, shipped to Minnesota..  this is such a good deal..  my parents garage in Philly is full.. arrrrgh..

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/23/17 5:42 p.m.

I have too many cars and no money, so I'm not in a position to do anything despite very much wanting the car indecision

Fueled by Caffeine
12/23/17 6:38 p.m.

buncha  summers eve’s in here.  

Bravenrace:  good luck. Wish I could buy it.  

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/26/17 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I can deliver it for a cost.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/17 11:31 p.m.

LMAO @ summers eve

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners