S2
S2 New Reader
6/3/18 5:59 p.m.

<Price reduction to$1800 OBO to get it gone>

This 1987 RX7 FC3S rear-wheel drive car with a 1.3L rotary 1988 RX7 factory Turbo charged engine swapped in. The car has a 5 speed manual transmission with factory LSD/Limited Slip Differential.  This car ran in the $2007 GRM Challenge, where it beat somewhere like eleventy-billion other contestants and placed so highly that it was recognized as exceptional in this post due to high attention to detail, keen tuning, and super-mojo by a dedicated team from this board.

@Dyintorace then sold it to me...

Car has been slightly modified from its as raced form - a muffler was added, and Curmudgeon (requiescat in pace; a really good man) sourced hood and other parts were put on which should have added extra Mojo, and a bit of a paint touch up was done.  Otherwise it is pretty well as it ran.

This finely tuned beast of a turbo RX7 then sat up on jack stands as the realities of the arrival of children two and three sank in. 

It turns over and cranks, but currently won't stay running due to old fuel.  I've emptied the tank to get out the (really) old gas and have some seafoam and a new fuel filter on hand to try and revive it, but haven't done so yet.  I'll add to this post if I get it running.

Car is currently posted on CL here and is totally Mine and I'm Affiliated: https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-rx7-turbo/6595525209.html

There are a lot more photos at the link.  Price for GRM is $<1800> OBO.

Contact me via the CL ad, or you can try the email link in my profile.  Ran when parked, bring a trailer...

<it starts, but will not maintain an idle. I drained the gas and put in new with some seafoam, so it is better, but still a project>

Car is prepped for track, autocross, or drifting, and includes a set of red wheels with Hoosier Racing slicks and another set of identical silver wheels with road tires so car can be driven to the track; throw on the racing slicks for added stick, and be ready to go!

Set up includes front mounted intercooler, K&N filter, after-market high-flow exhaust and muffler, and electric pull through fan for lighter weight and better efficiency. Vehicle has a stripped interior for added lightness, manual steering rack for better road feel, and supportive seats. <Tuned with an RTek chip. Thanks for the reminder from Mr. Joshua>

Factory spoiler is included and can be removed around town for cleaner look while bolting on quickly to provide downforce at track speeds. Tokico Blue shocks and Miata springs added for tighter handling than stock. Includes additional springs, and many extra parts.

Enjoy owning and driving this awesome car and piece of GRM racing history!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/18 7:24 p.m.

Is it a SC or FL title?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/18 8:25 p.m.

Is it a Turbo driveline, front to back?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/3/18 9:31 p.m.

And why must I be broke? crying

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/3/18 9:52 p.m.

IIRC it has all sorts of TII rotary goodness done to it but its been so long I forget. Dyinto knows more so I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this. It has an RTek Chip that im sure about. I don't think there were drags that year due to rain but IIRC we ran a low13.xx with it on stock car rear tires at a test and tune at Gainesville Raceway post challenge. 

S2
S2 New Reader
6/4/18 6:41 a.m.

Joshua is right.  It is TII front to back except the intercooler is front mounted with a Taurus fan replacing the standard engine mounted fan.  Thanks for the reminder on the chip - I knew it had one, but couldn't remember what it was.

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/5/18 9:02 a.m.

Don't do it don't do it don't do it....

I really want to do it

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/5/18 9:08 a.m.

$11.00 left in the budget, too!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/5/18 12:15 p.m.
RossD said:

$11.00 left in the budget, too!

It's got more room if you buy some of the included spare tires/wheels separate. It could use a little prettying up but it it should perform fairly well if you can get some drag tires on it and fresher/fatter autocross tires on it. IIRC it got 8th in the autocross on old 225 hoosier road race compound tires. Combine that with what should be mid-low 13 drag times and it could make an impressive showing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/18 7:35 a.m.

That is a good deal. 

S2
S2 New Reader
6/6/18 4:34 p.m.
B13Birk said:

Would you consider trading for a running driving NA miata? No rust Needs paint. Has K-sport coilovers, borla exhaust, ralco RZ short shifter, Racing beat Front and rear sway bars with adjustable links with brand new Faken Azenis? its a 1.6 1993

Figured id ask. 

Thanks, but if I brought another project my wife would shoot me and bury me in the trunk.  Sounds good though for the answer to all things...

S2
S2 New Reader
6/9/18 7:59 p.m.

Added some new info in  <brackets > and dropped the price to $1800 for GRM'ers. I need to move this one out of the garage. Includes parts that can be resold to recoup additional Challenge room. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/18 8:55 p.m.

Sorry I'm late to the thread! Awesome to see this car again. I found my FS ad from when I sold the car. Here are the details I posted back in 2007.

$2007 GRM Challenge RX-7 Turbo for sale

1988 N/A RX-7 with J-spec 1989 rotary turbo swapped in. Perfect track, auto-x or drift car.

The good:

• Full turbo driveline swap (4 piston brakes, driveshaft, LSD, etc)
  • Custom front mount intercooler set up with Taurus electric fan
  • Gutted interior, sandblasted and painted
  • Many new parts
    • cross drilled rotors
    • pads
    • braided brake and clutch lines
    • OEM water pump)
  • Injectors cleaned and flow matched
  • Rtek 1.5 in factory turbo ECU
  • Tokico blues
  • Walbro 255 hp fuel pump
  •  Vacuum hose delete
  •  ACV delete
  •  OMP delete (pre-mix required)
  •  Mazdatrix plug wires
  •  Aftermarket downpipe and custom side exit exhaust
  • Incredibly straight body
  • Lightened factory hood
  • Boost gauge
  • Fixed headlights (used driving lights instead)
  •  4 lightly used Hoosier R6 included.

With zero testing or tuning, car finished 8th in auto-x (raw time) and ran a 13.27 @ 103 mph in the drag (non-drag tires), only running 10 psi.

The bad:

• Speedo not working (cable not attached. ODO stopped at 160k)
  • Power window switches are dead
  • Purplish, bad tint on rear hatch
S2
S2 New Reader
6/10/18 8:20 a.m.

Thanks for posting that up. I couldn't remember all the specifics from when I bought it from you.

Speedo cable is fixed. Manual window regulators included.

The current problem exists because it has been sitting too long. It should be an easy fix, and I'd like to see this stay in the GRM family. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDhWRfdWTIGwPFygQKpCG6IBoiACVDxwJ7DoZRqVRuDqPJv5rwkZlSdMyiBhcwwq