1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/8/18 3:41 p.m.

SOLD!

PRICE DROP - Details in a post further down in the thread.

Want to be one of the fastest aristocrats at the Challenge this year, or, with a bit of work, have a nice comfy, quick daily driver?  I'm probably going to regret this, but I've been too busy to get around to dealing with issues this car has, in addition to my multiple project cars, so the siren song of buying something with a warranty is calling to me.  It's been my daily driver for a little over a year.  I bought it from fellow GRMer.

2001 Lexus GS430, 276K miles, automatic transmission, HID headlights, 16" wheels with winter tires with decent tread depth, dark green exterior, tan leather interior, heated seats and a hilariously outdated navigation system.  $2018.  Located just a bit east of Cincinnati, Ohio.

More pictures on my Flickr album.

The car runs great, is an awesome highway cruiser, and actually handles pretty well for a midsize sedan.  Very comfortable.  The interior is in nice shape for the mileage/age.  Power seats work fine, as does the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.

At about ~230K miles, the prior owner installed rebuilt cylinder heads, and a new timing belt, water pump. etc, so there's almost 45K miles left before the timing belt should need to be replaced.  He rebuilt the front suspension at ~260K miles, and it shows.

In the last year, I've replaced the rear rotors/pads and the battery.

Includes a bin of spare engine parts that could be sold down to get budget room if you take it to the challenge, or to keep in case you need them.  Also includes a new, uninstalled trailer hitch.

On to the bad stuff.  Here are the significant issues it has.  Nothing to keep it from being driven, but they are annoyances:

1.  CEL light is on, for some evap emissions codes, and O2 sensor issues.  The evap codes may be tied to a hose needing to be replaced, or even just attached more securely.  I just haven't gotten around to digging.  Since it runs fine, it hasn't been a top priority.

2.  Stereo is dead.  It is the much maligned (and really nice sounding) Mark Levinson system.  It had been working intermittently when I bought the car, so I replaced the amp with a used one off Ebay, and it was working fine until it died about a month ago.  Still have the old amp.  Best bet would be either another used amp, or send the spare in to be rebuilt.  EDIT: I picked up a non-touchscreen HVAC control module at the junkyard.  This can be used to make it easier to swap to a normal stereo, and retain complete control over the HVAC system.  I probably won’t install it myself, but it’s included in the sale.

3.  Blend door motors need to be replaced.  Another common issue as these cars age.  Right now, the only vents that get warm air are on the driver's side.  Used replacement motors are included with the spare parts. 

4.  A/C was weak at the beginning of summer last year.  I was able to get it working fine with a can of refrigerant as it did still have some pressure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'll need more this year.  Hasn't been warm enough to really find out.  EDIT:  Was out for a drive at lunch today (April 13), and it was warm enough for the AC to kick on.  It's still working.

The car isn't perfect, and has issues beyond the above, but those are the biggest problems I can think of.  It'd make a great daily for someone who has the time to do a little maintenance, or could be a really good challenge car if you stripped it out, and threw some race tires on it.  If you do that, though, I'd appreciate it if you let me take it down the drag strip a time or two smiley

If you're interested, or have any questions, reply here, or email me at ohiotim   at    hotmail  .  I have a yahoo address linked to my GRM account, so PMs don't work for me.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/9/18 10:29 a.m.

This really is a great car. I'm not in a position to buy it back right now but still keep thinking about it. Whoever buys this will enjoy it.

The stereo breaking again is one reason I sold it to Tim, and it's sad/funny that it's broken again again. Too bad some car functions are controlled by the head unit.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/9/18 10:56 a.m.
dculberson said:

This really is a great car. I'm not in a position to buy it back right now but still keep thinking about it. Whoever buys this will enjoy it.

The stereo breaking again is one reason I sold it to Tim, and it's sad/funny that it's broken again again. Too bad some car functions are controlled by the head unit.

Yeah, it was kind of annoying to lose audio again.  At least the touch screen still works fine, so all the other functionality is there.  I also learned the the nav unit appears to just use a pass through, because it still can talk.  I’ve heard it may be possible to swap out HVAC controls from a non-nav GS, then you’re able to install a normal stereo and speakers, but I’ve never found any documentation to confirm it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/13/18 11:32 a.m.

Bumping due to update on the air conditioning system, plus GRM has even provided a racing livery suggestion:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/26/18 8:46 a.m.

Bumping, as now that the weather has been getting better, I've been driving the Miata more, and this less, and I don't feel like swapping the summer wheels back onto the Lexus, only to have to switch them back off when it is sold.  Throw me an offer if you are interested.  I may also be interested in partial trades, especially if they involve a 1994-1997 Miata engine/transmission or hardtop.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/28/18 6:09 p.m.
dculberson said:

I nabbed a non-nav HVAC control module at a junkyard half off sale today, so now the nav and Mark Levinson system can be deleted in favor of a double din setup, and the heater and AC system controls can still work.  Apparently, the 98–05 wiring connections for the HVAC system are supposed to be the same, regardless of how they are controlled.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/18 8:51 p.m.

I'm gonna hate myself for asking this...

What manual transmission options exist for this?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/18 9:03 p.m.

There’s an adapter to mate a toyota supra w58 gearbox

cghstang
cghstang Dork
5/2/18 2:06 p.m.

Does the summer wheels comment mean the car only comes with one set at this price?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/2/18 4:11 p.m.
cghstang said:

Does the summer wheels comment mean the car only comes with one set at this price?

Yup, only comes with the winter tires/wheels.  If I buy what I’m leaning towards to replace this, my summer wheels/tires should fit the replacement car, so I want to keep them.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 8:57 a.m.

So, I'm hearing some slightly increased road noise that could be a wheel bearing or CV joint at the early stage of going bad.  Or it could just be a slightly sticky brake caliper or uneven tire wear.  Car still drives fine.  I really don't feel like paying a shop to diagnose and fix whatever it is, and I'm not really in a position to do much work on cars right now, so I'm dropping the price to $1500 Firm. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/11/18 9:16 a.m.

Well dang. I think you might have hit my buy back price. If nobody else steps up we need to talk. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 9:28 a.m.
dculberson said:

Well dang. I think you might have hit my buy back price. If nobody else steps up we need to talk. 

I’m free this Saturday if you want to come on down to Cincy smiley

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
5/11/18 10:57 a.m.

I'd really like this for my new daily driver. I can't act as quickly as this weekend. Want a partial trade? I've got a few cars that could be trade bait. They're mostly junk though.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 11:14 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

I'd really like this for my new daily driver. I can't act as quickly as this weekend. Want a partial trade? I've got a few cars that could be trade bait. They're mostly junk though.

I don't need to be rid of it this weekend, was just trying to bait dculberson into coming to get it tomorrow  smiley  I'm probably not game for a partial trade right now (some health issues are probably going to keep me from doing a lot of work on cars for a bit), but what do you have?

5/11/18 11:56 a.m.

Any interest in any of the following:

222k mile daily driver Saturn Sl2

1980 Sqare body. Rusty with lots of needs, but good built 350 and four speed (three pedal)

or a soon to be running and driving '86 Fiero GT.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 12:01 p.m.

Ooh, if I were looking for an extra project, the Fiero or the truck could be cool, but I'll have to pass, due to space, time, and health constraints.

5/11/18 12:18 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

No worries. It was a long shot.

Someone's going to get a good deal. It'll sell quickly

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Maybe, I never know with this kind of car.  I know I could probably have it gone this weekend if I tossed it onto CL, but I really hate dealing with selling cars there.

5/11/18 1:43 p.m.

Oh, and best well wishes for your health.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/11/18 1:45 p.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

Oh, and best well wishes for your health.

Thanks, nothing life threatening, should just be a bit of problem for the next few months at most, I hope.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/21/18 7:58 a.m.

Bump for the upcoming holiday weekend.  I won’t really be able to show it during this week, but should be around most of the Memorial Day weekend if you want to check it out.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/7/18 7:59 a.m.

Bumping again.  Please don't make me deal with Craigslisters...

wae
wae SuperDork
6/7/18 8:10 a.m.

...or, we put that engine in the S10.

devil

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
6/7/18 8:55 a.m.
wae said:

...or, we put that engine in the S10.

devil

I guess that’s a possibility if I still have it after the Challenge.  Although, from some reading I’ve done, might need to reengineer the S10 front suspension in order to fit.  The 3UZ is a relatively compact engine, but it is wide.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xC4XrWq7ugJi8Vwp9BetY5cyjM7BhO3ioSB3lOXNVzQitwMwup343aOUFBBCqYsD