Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/16/18 4:48 p.m.

The videos below are out of date and show the electronic throttle and load control as they are now.

I'm not sure anyone would want this thing, but I figured I would post it here before I parted it out.

The build thread is here

Anyway this was an experimental dyno that I built in order to develop some ideas.  The dyno can only absorb 30-40 hp so it isn't any good for high performance tuning.

The dyno is pretty much useless unless you are a mad scientist, However it can be used for making youtube videos.  If you are good in front of a camera then you could shoot endless videos on Megasquirt tuning or general engine repair and maintenance.  

The engine runs and the hydraulic power absorber works.

These knobs will adjust the load and move the throttle

I need to clean the garage out ASAP and this thing has got to go.  Sorry, but it is too big to ship. The complete dyno system with megasquirt and laptop computer is $1000.00 

AFTER JULY 23rd the dyno will get parted out.

AFTER JULY 23rd the following parts will be available.

Megasquirt  2 with 3.0 main board Plus laptop computer and Innovative Motorsports LC1 wideband plus Bosh idle air control and a few extra bits. $500.00

Miata transmission $50.00

Ford Festiva 1.3 engine.  The engine block was completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.  It was not rebuilt.  The cylinder head was rebuilt.  Engine runs fine but burns a little oil.   $100.00  ( this engine currently has a Miata oil pan and will need a Festiva oil pan if put in a Festiva)

Also available, but not pictured is another Ford Festiva engine.  This engine was pulled from my project car in April.  The engine is set up to fit in a Miata but can be converted back to Festiva specs by replacing the oil pan.  The engine has 70K miles since full rebuild.  This engine has a .020 shaved head and likes 93 octane fuel.  Even though the engine was rebuilt, it burns a little oil.  The engine's story is here

This stuff is located in Jackson Michigan 49203

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/16/18 6:43 p.m.

tempting.... and close-ish

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/17/18 7:25 a.m.

Once it is stripped down to a basic engine test stand, I may be interested.  For reasons that can be seen on Lemons wrap up videos I need to do some testing.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/18 2:34 p.m.

I don't have a use for it, but holy carp... That's awesome.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 4:42 p.m.

So much desire for a Miata trans and the 1.3.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/17/18 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

It is a sweet setup. AND its cheap! 

Knurled.
7/17/18 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown :

And I have a perverse desire to see how much boost the 1.3 can take.

I mean, if it's the same rods as a 1.6 or 1.8, then they should be good for the amount of wristpin pressure that can make 250ft-lb, no matter how much of that comes from boost and how much from displacement, right?  And if it's the same crank, same block structure, etc.... right?

This would be an outrageous setup to have in my RX-3, in the sense of provoking outrage.  Also, I keep having these weird thoughts in my mind involving stupid amounts of rally style antilag, and four Inconel exhaust valves is cheaper than eight of them...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 8:26 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Doc Brown :

And I have a perverse desire to see how much boost the 1.3 can take.

I mean, if it's the same rods as a 1.6 or 1.8, then they should be good for the amount of wristpin pressure that can make 250ft-lb, no matter how much of that comes from boost and how much from displacement, right?  And if it's the same crank, same block structure, etc.... right?

This would be a REALLY perverse setup to have in my RX-3.

Do it

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I know someone with a truck and space in the basement for an engine test rig...

Knurled.
7/17/18 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Contemplating the logistics.  I may actually BE in the general vicinity the weekend of the 29th (rallycross at I-96 Speedway), but I still do not have a trailer hitch on my S60R, and I don't expect my only hitch-equipped car to be running given that its engine is currently distributed all around my garage.  But I might be able to work something out.  It would involve borrowing cars, and lending cars, and some minor logistical difficulties.

Oh, I should probably try to find the money, too...

Knurled.
7/17/18 8:50 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Engine test rig is all on you, man.  I'm only in it for the 1.3 lulz.

And yes, I do realize that every Miata transmission I have ever bought has been stolen before I could use it.  Nothing venutred, nothing gained.  Every shot you don't make is a shot you miss.  And so on.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/18/18 5:23 a.m.

I'll be passing through Jackson on the 29th, if it's just a test stand by then and of course still available.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/18/18 8:51 a.m.

Id be interested in the engines and transmission,  but I'm not sure when i could get there to get them.  Wonder if Seth has room in his truck and i could meet him somewhere on his way back to tx?

Let me do some research.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/18/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

A few more days and I'll start carving up this turkey.

If you want the engines and the trans, I'll make you a sweet deal  The engine (not pictured) that I pulled in April also comes with a complete exhaust system.

For some reason I'm having trouble with my imgur account and cannot access any of my older pictures.

Knurled.
7/18/18 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown :

I don't have dibs on the engine and trans?  sad

I only need to confirm that I can have the 30th off work, and I need to ask a friend if I can loan him my Volvo so I can drive his Miata and trailer back to Columbus for him with the engine/trans on it, since he's also going to be up that way for the rallycross.  And I am NOT driving to Columbus from your neck of the woods on Sunday evening, and then two-three hours back home to Cleveland, AND getting up for work the next morning.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/18/18 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Whoops, I guess you do have dibs.  Anyway same deal applies.  I will shoot some pictures of all the stuff tomorrow.

turbox
turbox New Reader
7/19/18 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Doc Brown :

Text me at seven73 four66 nine072 not sure if the message thing is working.

Knurled.
7/19/18 7:14 p.m.

Vehicle confirmation, now just need to negotiate a day off of work.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/19/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Knurled and  others .:

Sale of complete dyno is pending.

Knurled.
7/24/18 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown :

Please update if the sale is pent.  (pended?)

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/24/18 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I accepted a deposit on the dyno rig and will hold until the end of the first week of August.

The dyno rig is being sold complete, however I do have the 1.3 B3 the engine that came out of the Miata. It is a 70K mile engine, but no transmission.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQdQBatqmXY3KLMnuX5B05qhgeiczYQHPsY2c6NM2rfC5JArq6IuBnpTPZ3nRtBi