1 2
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/18/17 11:29 a.m.

$1600 Festiva Race Car

Seems like an "easy button" to have fun at the Challenge.

For sale is a beloved gem and unique car. This car will have you smiling around every corner. Perfect for autocross. Fun on the track and an exciting weekend toy. 1990 Ford Festiva 1.3L Fuel Injected SOHC 5 speed manual transmission Stripped down to 2 seats and 1600 lbs ~130,000 miles ~10,000 miles on complete engine overhaul and head work Does not burn or leak any oil, or consume any coolant whatsoever, unlike my miata. The oil even after several thousand miles is still golden amber. Shifts smoothly into every gear. Geared for great acceleration with an efficient 5th gear for highway cruising. Easily gets 40+ MPG on the freeway. This car has completely changed my perspective of FWD sports cars. Over-steer is completely possible. The car is controllable yet easily tossed, making for a confidence-inspiring fun drive. -The original engine puts out 63 HP, but with some light head work and an optimized exhaust and intake the power has been brought up to ~75 HP. The torque is available at low RPM and spins the tires easily in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, also due to the extremely light weight of the car. -The original suspension was based on the original Porsche 911, with wishbone control arms up front and a rear semi-trailing arm design, which adds camber as the shock is compressed. Originally with MacPherson strut design, the suspension on this particular Festy has been redesigned utilizing adjustable shock dampers and threaded adjustable coilover sleeves, making ride height and stiffness completely adjustable. There are front camber plates to allow for adjustment. Overall, the cars handling is its absolute best quality. It has completely blown my mind in terms of maneuverability, grip, and handling. -The chassis has been greatly modified to enhance stiffness and rigidity, and to add lightness. In fact, this Festiva weighs ~600 lbs less than a Mazda Miata. There is both a front and rear strut tower brace, as well as a brace behind the seat for use with a racing harness and seat (both included). The drivers seat is a Sparco racing seat and the passenger seat is from a miata. The windows are lexan and have some cracks and bowing, but do not leak too bad. There are 2 sets of doors included, the ones shown and another set which are painted the flat black and have been completely gutted for even more added lightness. Clear title in my name. Currently registered and inspected. Ready to drive away, no trailer needed. Starts up every time. Has been featured in Sport Compact magazine. Huge supportive online community of Festiva owners. Definitely not good for a daily driver. You Could perhaps turn it into a daily driver, and it would get stellar gas mileage. The windshield wipers work, but the windows leak a small bit. Perfect for somebody looking for a fun weekend racecar or a cheap ticket into the world of motorsports.

-Rob

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/18/17 11:55 a.m.

I like that a little too much...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/18/17 12:04 p.m.

I like that a whole lot. I kinda like the paint how it is.

I wonder if it would be possible to get a LSD in it in challenge budget, or would it even be an improvement?

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/17 12:13 p.m.

Anybody notice the bumper sticker?

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/18/17 12:30 p.m.

My random thoughts: One of my friends in college had one we called "The Festarrari". It probably belongs in the "slow car fast" thread. We had WAAAY more fun with that car than we had a right to. It was death in the snow though. With the short wheelbase it would spin like a top on a slippery road. I have distinct memories of going around twice and then continuing on without ever leaving our lane.

One of you should totally do this . . .

Thankfully, too far away for me.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/18/17 12:43 p.m.

That pushes a lot of the right buttons. If it weren't so far away I'd probably be on my way to get it and I'd be posting the Civic for sale on the way

Edit: I could even try a crazy fly and drive but I wouldn't have the time until August. Sad

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/18/17 2:04 p.m.

Yeah, id put wider tires on it, fill out the flares and call it a day.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/18/17 8:29 p.m.

Ah hell, excuses are for the weak. Something about this car is just really cool to me. I sent an email now let's see what happens.

Why must I be inexplicably drawn to 90s Ford compact cars?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/18/17 10:25 p.m.

Good man! That is a tempting ride

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
6/19/17 10:12 a.m.

This is making me think about the Festiva that's been on the local CL for months.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/19/17 12:34 p.m.

Dang...it's in my hood and even has classic plates already. Does the BP swap over to a Festiva?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/19/17 1:00 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

It's definitely been done

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
6/19/17 2:26 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: In reply to calteg: It's definitely been done

.... So . . . When's the fly and drive?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/19/17 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

Ha. I haven't even heard back yet.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/19/17 3:24 p.m.
calteg wrote: Dang...it's in my hood and even has classic plates already. Does the BP swap over to a Festiva?

Front and rear aspire subs for the better bolt pattern, and it's pretty much a drop and swap. Turbo bp ftw.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/17 3:44 p.m.

Yep, a 1.6 from a Fiesta ST would wake that right up...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/17 6:08 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

But cost more than a turbo BP and makes less power. Though the ST trans won't grenade.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
6/22/17 7:07 a.m.

I've got a B6T, aspire front hubs, a bunch of parts, and some 13 X 8? - 9?" wheels for sale. Just sayin...

calteg
calteg Dork
6/22/17 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Smarta$$ McPoopyPants:

Quit tempting me. How much for all of it?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/17 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Smarta$$ McPoopyPants:

I might be interested in the wheels if calteg passes.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
6/22/17 2:21 p.m.

Gahhh!!!! The WANT!!!!! This with a mid mounted turbo engine would be group B madness!!!!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/22/17 2:53 p.m.

I've always liked those. If it still has the non roller rockers, I could probably grind a nice cam for that on the cheap. It would definitely need it.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/22/17 2:58 p.m.

I'm digging the overall craptastic Mad Max look of this thing. I'm liking the drawer handles on top of the hood too.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/22/17 3:21 p.m.

I emailed about it yesterday, haven't heard back yet...

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/22/17 6:15 p.m.

I never heard anything back either. I found this. I think it's the same car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvJbkJH0oKuIKst4la74eue7hnQgzIs4voMzhCm4Jwcfll6qCpnIwt22wNEqjndx