Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/13/17 4:09 p.m.

Apparently this is what you get when you take the front subframe from a Q45, engine, trans and all, and shove it under the nose of an RX8 with some S13 and S14 parts.

Currently priced slightly too high, but apparently this isn't an easy sale.

Seller said: Money TALKS. PRICE DROP PRICE DROP PRICE DROP 2,600$ cash takes it home. OBO. NOT WANTING TRADES. Will throw in the GPS I use to know how fast I'm going. Has rebuilt title. It has 116k miles. The engine has been swapped out with a VH45DE v8 engine. Out of a 94 infinite Q45. Does have automatic transmission. Car runs and drives great. It's really fun car and will get up and go if you step on it. Had red and black leather interior. Working sun roof that doesn't leak. Working navigation system. None of the gauges on the cluster work, ONLY the gas gauge works. You could buy a digital cluster if you wanted to have all gauges working. Car does have some rust on the rockers under the doors. The rust isn't on the frame rails of the car, just the rockers. Can be repaired. Trunk could use paint, it's chipping. Car sounds really mean, and drives good. It does sit pretty low to the ground. All the mounts are custom up front. Used the Q45 subframe. S13 coilovers up front, S14 knuckles up front. all the swap was done at Swap shop garage in Paintsville Ky. Be done a great job at the swap, it's the only Rx8 in this country with this engine swapped inside it. If interested in buying, or have any questions. Feel free to message me.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/13/17 5:02 p.m.

Interesting and strange. The VH45DE from Gen1 Q45 is not the most supported engine out there. This however is a '94 engine which got metal chain guides rather than plastic.
Estimate 300 hp.

In other oddities, I have a set of FD rims that mount exactly (same exact hub bore and pattern) to my Q45.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/13/17 5:37 p.m.

Wait, so is this thing fwd Now?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/13/17 5:47 p.m.

Off hand I can't think of another RWD to FWD build that was done in the name of performance.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/17 6:01 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Wait, so is this thing fwd Now?

No the plenum on q45 is sideways

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/13/17 6:14 p.m.

The goofy Q45 plenum makes it look like a transverse engine but it is really a traditional fore/aft V design under the plenum and rwd.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
7/13/17 6:33 p.m.

I'm strangely intrigued by this thing.... It's close enough to go grab, but sadly SWMBO would not be amused. Oh and the lack of funds right now (mostly that).

300 hp and more torques would really make this chassis interesting.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/17 7:58 p.m.

They're probably not in an area that does OBDII instpections. I can't think of how this thing would pass a test, otherwise.

That said, it's interesting.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
7/13/17 8:38 p.m.

Indiana doesn't do emissions testing....

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/14/17 6:44 a.m.

I'd be more interested if they kept the rx8 front suspension

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/14/17 7:41 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

Yeah, I agree.

I don't mind the weirdo engine, but I'm not keen on berkeleying up the chassis dynamics of the RX8

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/17 9:49 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: The goofy Q45 plenum makes it look like a transverse engine but it is really a traditional fore/aft V design under the plenum and rwd.

Ah, that makes the project make more sense...sort of...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/14/17 9:53 a.m.

Love the idea but now the stance is awful. Front track looks 6 inches wide than rear!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/14/17 10:19 a.m.

It says they used the Q45 front subframe with S14 uprights and S13 coilovers. So I believe that means it has struts up front now.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
7/14/17 10:54 a.m.

I'm surprised the seller isn't asking a lot more. Has it been for sale for long?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/14/17 2:01 p.m.

First I've seen it, this post is 8 days old.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/14/17 2:03 p.m.

Needs moar wide in the heiney.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/17 10:58 a.m.

It's very easy to put an sr, ka, z32 manual trans behind the vh motors.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
7/19/17 9:12 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

Aren't 5.3s,LSXs easy to do so too?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/17 11:21 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

Into an rx8? I don't know. I just know the vh45/41 engines have decent manual transmission options.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/19/17 11:41 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to yupididit: Aren't 5.3s,LSXs easy to do so too?

No. But there is a lot of internet hype.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/17 1:54 p.m.

Isn't one of the major advantages of the RX-8 the weight balance, which putting a larger & heavier engine further forward would completely berkeley up?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/19/17 3:29 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: Aren't 5.3s,LSXs easy to do so too?

Easy? prolly not.

More fun? Oh hell yes

A family friend has a LS swapped RX8, and...well...I have impure thoughts when I see it at full hoon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DKIYIh8KWNh6mzebCBn5EKPZFhg4enFz2yKubJPA6eTpahVZgFTjzFtj3D7d7Scd