1 2 3
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/1/17 8:25 a.m.
dherr wrote: In reply to AWSX1686: Yes, I have a title for the car. Not that there is much left of the 1975 Spitfire other than 1/2 the frame and body shell

Sweet. Well like I said, I'm not going to swoop in an buy it right this moment, but if no one else does, let me know.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/1/17 10:06 a.m.

Hey dHerr, if you have tags on it, you might try bringing it to an autocross with a for sale placard. The group I organize with has at least 2 more weekends in Frederick this year, so you wouldnt be going far.

http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/schedule.php

(P.S. there are times I miss that E30 I bought from you, last I heard it was up in new england with a black paintjob)

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/1/17 10:14 a.m.

No tags on it, but good idea if it does not sell here. I need to check out the autocross anyways, as I have modified my daily driver MX5 and need to see what it can do!

Great to hear the E30 is still on the road, my son still talks about his first car.... Now he drives an NC MX5 too

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/1/17 10:32 a.m.

Since this car is clearly destined to continue being a challenge contender, how is the "transfer of budget" handled?

I see two ways it could go:

A) The existing budget, recoup values, etc are carried over from 2008 to be added to
or... B) The purchase price is $2017, all tires and parts included are part of sale, recoup is reset to $0.

I'm pretty sure it's option B, right?

dherr
9/1/17 10:51 a.m.

Should be option B: you are purchasing for $2017 but can remove/resell parts or run as is. I'll throw in some extra spares you can resell to get some budget left to finish the car.

dherr
9/1/17 12:13 p.m.

Just bought a new battery for my TR4a and put the old one into the Spitfire, fired right up!

Come get it this weekend before I change my mind.....

AWSX1686
9/1/17 12:23 p.m.

You keep making me want this more and more... I have reached out to a friend to see if he want's to go halves on it....

AWSX1686
9/1/17 12:25 p.m.

I should really focus on getting the z3 ready for the challenge though.

dherr
9/1/17 12:35 p.m.

You know this would be much more fun than any Z3!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/1/17 4:11 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

You can't transfer a budget.

Your budget starts with your purchase price- $2017.

You will be playing entirely in the recoup allowance and trades.

You can add tires, brake material, etc- no budget hit.

Then you could add to the budget (for example) a parts car (up to $1008.50), as long as you can zero it out with stuff you sell from that parts car deal.

The best gain on this car will be the sorting- no cost.

And, that will make this car a direct competitor with the Mumpkin (which I sold for the same price/ terms).

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/1/17 4:21 p.m.

Pm ed you hit me up karl 1-352-302--24 5six

schnapsmann
schnapsmann New Reader
9/1/17 4:49 p.m.

Please give me a call this weekend (pref Saturday) at 478-225-68o1 or 478-538-7o49. I'd like to ask you a few questions about the car.

AWSX1686
9/2/17 1:03 p.m.

Sent a PM.

dherr
9/2/17 5:28 p.m.

Okay, car has been sold to AWSX1686, he is picking up the car on Monday. Thanks for the interest and support and I can't wait to see it in the Challenge!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/2/17 5:31 p.m.

Congrats!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/17 7:24 p.m.

berkeleyin aye

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/2/17 9:13 p.m.

Nice it stayed in the family

AWSX1686
9/2/17 10:00 p.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote: Nice it stayed in the family

Dad convinced me. (It didn't take much.) Plus I had my doubts about having the z3 ready in time for the challenge, so that relieves some stress since I'll be taking this. And I'll also be able to kill it at local autocrosses too hopefully. :)

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
9/3/17 12:10 a.m.

Yeah, that's me. Purveyor of bad ideas and catalyst to projects.

Someday I'll finish one of my own!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/3/17 8:09 a.m.

Glad to hear it's staying in the family as well. I really wanted it, but time and space... And I took too long to mull it over. Oh well. Probably for the best. I am inundated with projects already.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/3/17 2:16 p.m.

Nice deal now to figure on what Ima gonna do

dherr
9/4/17 9:06 a.m.

So Andrew is picking up the car this morning. Just to document exactly what he is getting for his $2,017, I have inventoried the spares as well as the car which runs and drives, but needs sorted.

This should allow for some budget wiggle room to sell of some of the spares he does not need to complete the car before the challenge. Definitely a good deal, but more importantly to me, the car will be in the challenge this year!

Don't feel too bad for me, I have this project already started, building a rat rod Spitfire for the street with a Turbo MX5 drive train, Subaru R160 rear and rotoflex rear suspension with CV joints. Plan is to keep the body looking as is, but will build the chassis and interior. This one is for the street. I have the car- 72 MK4 (as rust free as they get, been sitting in a garage since 1980), have the full kit to convert the rear suspension to a LSD, Triumph Rotoflex but with CV joints and will be picking up a JDM MX5 drive train this week. So if a lowered, crap brown 1972 Spitfire with nice wheels pulls along side of you at a stoplight, beware

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/4/17 2:24 p.m.

Congrats to Andrew.

That said, I am more interested in your new Spit project. More specifically, the R160/CV conversion. There is apparently a guy in Australia offering conversion kits but they're $800 (plus shipping). Ouch. And not really meant for a CV conversion I think.

If you are having something made and need help with "quantity pricing" let me know. I have a Spit and a GT6 and would love to put a R160 in both of them.

dherr
9/4/17 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Well, here is what I bought last year. I purchased a collection of parts that included the special New Zealand casting for the back of the R160 to put it in the Spitfire, but also included two Rotoflex rear suspensions, MGF rear hubs and and axles, an LSD R160 and multiple leaf springs and various axles. Basically everything to put a Rotoflex suspension in my Spitfire, but add the R160 and will need to have a driveline shop make me Subaru to MGF CV axles to make it all work. I'll document and be happy to share the results and what is required to make it all work. Goal is a stock appearing and working rear suspension on the Spitfire without having to resort to cutting up the frame. I am hoping to fit 205 rear tires and 195 on the front, but might have to roll the fenders to make it work. If you know someone that can sand cast the aluminum rear mount (the hard part of the conversion), I would let you copy it before I use it for my car.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/4/17 7:57 p.m.

Ah. Sounds like you got one of the same R160 kits. I might be mistaken on NZ vs AU. Was hoping someone found a non-$800 solution.

My thought is to replicate the rear plate in welded steel rather than cast aluminum, which should be easier to make at home. Doesn't look to be all that complicated.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3s3ZC38fH4qCGR036el7eIaYQ8i5ORcCBUG6PxCVunHTwpr4RmpuCxbyzwoAX4dm