1 2 3 ... 7
XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/17 6:41 p.m.

I can't figure out what this is based on. Longitudinal FWD with upper and lower transverse leaf springs, very small bolt circle 5 bolt hubs. Something French?

CL dude says: I don't know what I have here exactly. Its the remains of an old race car of which I have no history. It has a transaxle up front , I don't know if it was VW or what ever. It came to me with a one piece Karmin Ghia fiberglass front end . The body ( which is made of fiberglass ) only has a drivers door .The body is certainly useable however the steel parts I see is very rusty. As seen in the photos somebody wrote Bill Randal Driver on the door. Bill was a very established Radio announcer in the cleveland area years ago. Check out the photos and let me know what you think. Call or text greg at show contact info

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/17 7:09 p.m.

I'm glad the Karmann Ghia nose isn't shown on it because I just don't think they'd work together.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 7:15 p.m.

It could be Panhard based.

Woody
5/10/17 7:17 p.m.

Those look like Panhard wheels.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/10/17 7:21 p.m.

That's an odd duck there

a rusty ol odd duck

H Mod

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
5/10/17 7:21 p.m.

Yeah, I'm saying Panhard

Woody
5/10/17 7:22 p.m.

And it might be a Bill Devin body

I would buy that for $650 and figure it out later if it was close.

Bill Devin with a Devin Panhard:

Woody
5/10/17 7:27 p.m.

I bet that the Kamm tail was added later.

Woody
5/10/17 7:30 p.m.

BUY THAT CAR!!!

Woody
5/10/17 7:42 p.m.

Gahh! 529 miles away!

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/10/17 8:00 p.m.

Good call Woody! There were only a handful produced - 750-850cc panhard engine - first car to use a gilmer belt for timing - panhard engine case, Norton manx cylinders - only 3 still in action, all in France. Devin's first car and it punched above its weight. Neat and rare sports racer find.

devin panhard

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/17 8:02 p.m.

Wow that cleans up nice .

I'm about 96% certain that an unflattering picture of me would end up on milk cartons if I dragged that thing home . However, it's about 10-15 minutes from me if you'd like someone local to take a look.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/17 8:17 p.m.

Contacted, trying to go with cash after work tomorrow

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/10/17 8:27 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Would you restore it for vintage racing?

If so, you got more ambition, time and money than me.

patgizz
5/10/17 8:43 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: In reply to patgizz: Would you restore it for vintage racing? If so, you got more ambition, time and money than me.

I dont know but i know it needs saved before some idiot gets their hands on it. Honestly if he gets back with me I'm going to buy it with no plan other than get it indoors for now. I have 2 challenge builds going on and mid resto on a 72 chevelle, but tucking it away would just let me source bits over a few years. I'd assume one would need to builda front end from scratch/pics and de modify the tail. I am up for the challenge, the thing needs to be on a track or in a museum.

I promise i will not LS swap it

Woody
5/10/17 8:48 p.m.

I'm glad that you're going after it Pat.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/10/17 9:07 p.m.

OMG, I really hope you drag that home Pat. That is beyond awesome

That is the kind of thing I would drool all over. That would be an awesome project and then an awesome way to go vintage racing.

You could have tons of fun with that at something like the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix.

patgizz
5/10/17 9:10 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: If so, you got more ambition, time and money than me.

Maybe, maybe not but you'll always have the Amy story

patgizz
5/10/17 9:11 p.m.

I HAZ REPLY GOING TO LOOK AFTER WORK OMGGGGGGGG

If this happens you guys are going to have to help me source a panhard engine

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/10/17 9:11 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Or maybe Tim and crew might be interested. He's mentioned in his CMS column how he might be looking for a new vintage racer for the magazine now that the TR3 has been gone over a couple of times.

Woody
5/10/17 9:23 p.m.
patgizz wrote: I HAZ REPLY GOING TO LOOK AFTER WORK OMGGGGGGGG If this happens you guys are going to have to help me source a panhard engine

Please give us the good news as soon as you hand him the $650.

patgizz
5/10/17 9:28 p.m.
Woody wrote:
patgizz wrote: I HAZ REPLY GOING TO LOOK AFTER WORK OMGGGGGGGG If this happens you guys are going to have to help me source a panhard engine
Please give us the good news as soon as you hand him the $650.

Dude, GRM. Going to ask if price is firm before handing over anything.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/10/17 9:30 p.m.

If you can pull off a Panhard Challenge car, you will be a god.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/17 9:38 p.m.

Can you imagine how unbelievably scary that would be with an LS in it? Nose heavy doesn't begin to tell the story, not to mention if you did hook it up to that baby transaxle out front you would roast those baby tires at anything more than 1/4 throttle.

That said... Good luck man. That looks like it would be a RIOT!

BMW/Guzzi bike motor for semi accurate weight out front. Power/usable rpm band has to be leaps and bounds above the original.

Woody
5/10/17 9:47 p.m.

I like the BMW idea if you can't find a Panhard engine. Or if you want to keep it French, a 2CV engine shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Of course, French cars were just a white flag away from becoming German car's anyway.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lIhAntSrGCRl4W2eQAR6KofWIpBDcBzHk1EJsvXtcgXXcXvIDo02eOrGUux4WYBr