1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/25/17 12:12 p.m.

I went and did inspections at this weeks Insurance Auction.  In my past writings about these auctions I have commented that of the 10 cars I usually like enough to go see, the one I think will be great is not and some other previously less desired model rises to the top of my desire.  

Link

This week that happens to be a '03 Legacy wagon with 238,000 miles.   Yeah, thats a lot of miles but boy is this car clean.  I mean like recently hit with amour all type clean.  More like the kind of clean from someone who never lets it get dirty.  The oil change sticker recommended a change at 236k miles or 9-14-17.  Lets assume the sticker was for 3k/3months.   Okay, 2k over is still only 5k miles but since this car has likely been sitting for 2months of the 3 month of driving the car racked up 5k miles in about a month.  This tells me of someone who was driving the car a lot and also of a car that ran well.   AC works! 

First thought on Subaru is HG but at 238k miles that has certainly already been attended to.  Am I correct in assuming that once its been done once it is likely good for the rest of its life?   

Has a hit in the rear bumper.  The insurance page says it has $1,751 worth of damage .  Also that if fixed the car would be worth $2,379.  This is an example of where the insurance company just paid the previous owner rather than fix the car.   The hit is such that it has bend down the metal support of the bumper.  If I were to own this car, there is no reason to even bother with any repair to the back.  Sure, the bumper is deformed but there is not rattle or shake or unsafemess about it.  Rear hatch works just fine.  

The junkyards will likely bid this up to $200.  I think it can easily be won between $225 and $275.  Of course, auction fees and taxes takes a $275 bid up to $515.   In Ohio, if you want it on the road it will cost $50 for a state Salvage inspection too but it will cost you nothing in repairs to pass that inspection.  Add in maybe $200 for my efforts and does anyone want what looks to be a really nice Legacy for $750?   

I have no need for it, If I buy it I will just flip it.  Should sell quickly since snow is just a couple months away.  

If interested, I have to know by 7am tomorrow, Tues. which is when pre-bidding closes.  

cj32769
cj32769 New Reader
9/25/17 3:51 p.m.

What is snow?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/25/17 3:58 p.m.

I have a '97 version as my winter beater (it was my all-season beater until I came up with a P71 for a summer beater).  

I highly recommend having a Subaru in one's winter life.   Just an unsolicited endorsement wink

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/25/17 4:13 p.m.

How rusty? Id definitely be interested for my neice. Shes headed off to college and needs a college car.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
9/25/17 4:23 p.m.

If Duster's niece is no-go, my mom needs a car to replace her rusted Taurus.  Would you be willing to get the Ohio salvage inspection done do it can come to PA on a r-title, with  according price bump to cover your efforts/expense?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/25/17 4:33 p.m.

Yeah, I would complete the Salvage portion if you are out of state.  Then it would have a fine and ready to go title.  Last time I had to make an appt for a salvage inspection they were 3 weeks out for the inspections so keep that time frame in mind.  

As for rust.  I would say this is very low rust by Northern standard.  This means that you can only see rust at the wheel wells

Zoom in on this pic and you will see just some rust at the edge of the wheel well but notice that all the stuff that is newly exposed looks quite clean.  

John 419. Five41. 133five

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/25/17 5:16 p.m.
u
etifosi said:

If Duster's niece is no-go, my mom needs a car to replace her rusted Taurus.  Would you be willing to get the Ohio salvage inspection done do it can come to PA on a r-title, with  according price bump to cover your efforts/expense?

Would you. need a enhanced inspection when the car comes into Pennsylvanian?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/25/17 8:03 p.m.

My brother wants to pass. Apparently hates subaru because of his ex wife.  I aint asking....

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
9/25/17 8:06 p.m.

Timeline is fine as my Mother won't be back from Alaska for another week and I'm headed to Texas for a disaster housing inspector gig for at least 3 weeks. Of course if you feel the bids go too high or find reason to not buy it, I defer to your wisdom.  And I respect Duster's first right of refusal too.

Last minute packing now, should be able to ring you tomorrow.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/25/17 8:43 p.m.

No need to call tonight. I'm gonna bid on it to the numbers I put above.  If it happens then it happens. Any higher and it is beyond my comfort level. 

You two are lined up as potential buyers. I'll honor the plans here if you continue to be interested. But, let's be clear, I'm buying this to flip. If it turns out to be less of a good car than I think then I'll just unload the car locally.  No one is forced to buy the car. 

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
9/25/17 8:50 p.m.

That sounds great, if it's a dud I won't mind if it's unloaded on someone other than my mother.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/26/17 6:26 a.m.

I am currently high bidder on the Subaru.  Heck, I'm the only bidder.  If you look at the link you will see that I am high bidder at $25.  The bids move in $25 increments and only go as high as they have to.   When the auctions go live I expect that the junkyards will  throw on a $200 bid and that will be trumped by my max bid and moved to $225.  We'll see.  Subaru Link 

I am also the current high bidder on this '06 Kia Minivan.  My max bid is pretty low but ya never know.  When i looked at the van it has a clean interior by minivan standards and looks to have been cared for.  The side scrape is such that I will never repair it but it has no effect on its functionality (other than it will rust quicker in that area.) Kia Link

We also don't know if either of these two vehicles have a hidden reserve  

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/26/17 8:09 a.m.

I had a low, max bid of $775 on the van which would net to $1,123 which would be $1,200 once I paid tax.  

It sold at $800.  I resisted the urge to go up any further. I don't know if there is a reserve on the car and if $800 is enough.  

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/26/17 8:27 a.m.

Well, I watched the auction live.  Someone onsite bid $200 and then $250.  My $275 held and now I own a Legacy with a ton of miles.  No mention of reserve but I would guess there is none.  I'll get an email later today that will serve as a Bill of Sale and total price computation.  

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
9/26/17 7:01 p.m.

Still a player.  Jetlagged & worn out from adjudication and badging event.  On the hunt for food & beer, then back to hotel.  I will try to touch base with you tomorrow.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/26/17 9:41 p.m.

I might be interested for a friend with a dying Grand Prix (which some would argue is a redundant phrase) if etifosi doesn't end up with it.

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
9/26/17 11:48 p.m.

Geese, where do I find a thing like this in my area?  Maybe I shouldn't, I'd end up with a Monday heater, a Tuesday beater......

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/27/17 4:46 a.m.

JustJim, 

Do you happen to be in or near a State that allows Public buyers at these types of auctions?  Is your schedule such that you can complete these transactions during Mon-Fri  "office hours "?  

I've been trying to share my learnings and experiences in threads like this https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-auto-auctions-copart-brokers-iaas-etc/132812/page1/ and https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-sumo-wrestler-01-mitsu-montero-limited/130334/page1/

Yesterday I got to the bank and picked up a required, certified check.  Today around 10am I'll be going to get the Subaru.  I'm eager to get my hands on it and take it for the 20 minute drive home. Then I will better know what I really have here. 

Jerry, noted.

All, I'll have follow up documentation later like more photos and maybe a quick video so check back later.  

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/27/17 5:34 a.m.

I missed both those topics.  Thank you for the education, lots of good stuff.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/27/17 6:29 a.m.

So - Questions.

Jumping onto the IAA I found a site 25 miles from me.  Doing a filter for Public auctions in my area returned 0 vehicles.  I then opened it up to search the entire state and found 0 vehicles.  Am I doing something wrong, or are there no IAA publicly auctioned vehicles in the state of PA at this time?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/27/17 6:53 a.m.

At least for me Willis I went to IAAI.com clicked location and then state. Scrolling through the list when I get to NC I see it says "Public can buy" when I go to PA I do not see that.

That being said when I got to Copart and choose the Philadephia location and click "no license required" I get a bunch of vehicles. However its possible when you went to bid it would tell you that you need to use a broker which adds some overhead.

John I'd love to talk to you more offline/in email about your experience with this in general since my buddy and I were looking at the same thing here in Raleigh. I have both IAAI and Copart in the area with multiple locations within an hour or so. Too bad open yard days are only M-F

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/27/17 6:56 a.m.

Looks like York Haven has an auction every Weds.  This week with only 131 cars (mine location has nearly 500 cars per week)  

https://www.iaai.com/Auctions/BranchListingView.aspx?branchCode=664&aucDate=09272017

I am not sure what the PA State rules are on "public"  

The other big name in this Auction business is CoPart and they too seem to have a York Haven location but I could not figure out if it is public.   https://www.copart.com/locations/york-haven-pa-127/

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/27/17 7:16 a.m.

Ha.  That CoPart is two miles from my house.  I'm new to the area, so I'll blame that.  The copart website was pretty helpful - I just needed to filter their site for "No license required" vehicles.  Of which there are 400 listed and 124 that "Run and Drive".  Thanks for the pointers..

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/27/17 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Happy to talk.  Cell number above for talk or text.  Today will be busy until after 10:30am because of adding this car pickup to my day.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/27/17 7:18 a.m.

Copart in PA is open to the public not sure about the iaai. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F5kBvYbLr4ZRKM86EZ0CVmdTDBi7BJoJHycyy83eOSXLHdEnsuSUHuvf1Kq9h9p0