mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
1/4/15 4:44 p.m.

The Good- it's a TDI, and they are said to never die. Engine comes with a full body in decent condition, and being a GLS, it has a sunroof and leather seats.

Located in Central Virginia

The Bad- it's Reflex Silver, like seemingly every other Jetta of that age.

It needs a timing belt job done.

Body shows 217,000 miles of use.

Trans shift hard until warm (4 speed auto).

Battery is on a tender, as it's a bit hard to start on extra cold mornings otherwise.

Small oil leak (quarter sized after a week).

This is a simple appliance, or an engine awaiting transplant, your choice.

PM me for pics.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/4/15 9:18 p.m.

oh lord, please help me step away from the keyboard.

thanks.

Good luck with the sale...should be quick

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/15 5:25 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

Then I won't tell you about the local shop (North Olmsted) that rebuilds the valve bodies in those things. The official fix is replace as assembly, which is why the transmissions are traditionally so expensive to repair.

Or, you could just keep driving it like that for a hundred thousand miles or so, which also seems to be a viable option.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder New Reader
1/6/15 5:31 a.m.

This sounds like a great car for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. I have never been a fan of VW Automatics, but she is not loving the idea of a manual, got to work on that!
Not really looking to buy a project like doing a 5-speed swap, but also not interested in an expensive trans issue. What is the forum's consensus? Car looks great, would love to have it, just scared of trany issues on a car with this bad rep. Mike

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
1/6/15 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: Could you pass that shop information along to me? If it doesn't sell quickly, I might just get it fixed and use it as an appliance further.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ybiwa8SH3s8HGT5jzZmPeNlsYuCMhTWD6yoVvrtRzuEna66Lj3AFKedaXzKCIooT