1 2 3
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/11 4:25 p.m.

Some of you might remember that I ran the Targa Newfoundland back in 2008 with Flyin' Miata as a sponsor. Well, for 2011, Flyin' Miata has entered a factory team. Really factory, we're entered as a manufacturer and will be running against Dodge, MINI, Kia, Mercedes, Audi or whoever shows up this year. By the way, I managed to beat the factory Dodge and MINI teams in 2008 :)

It's going to be a bit different this time around. The rules have changed, and there is no longer any handicapping in the Targa division. So we've decided to step up to the plate and go for the big price. The Targa Miata from 2008 will be reworked as an Open class car, running for the overall victory. The big change is going to be under the hood. The high compression 2.0 is coming out and a high compression 5.7 (or 6.0) is going in. The car has the handling, now it will be able to vaporize straights. I'll be driving this car again with my wife Janel returning as navigator.

We're also bringing Elvis to run in the Touring class. This is a class for street cars, so we'll be leaving in the leather interior. The purpose of Elvis will be to show the world how fast a street car can be without giving up any comfort. Bill Cardell will be driving, and his navigator has yet to be announced.

However, we need your help. We simply can't afford to do this alone. We're searching out sponsors and several companies have already stepped up. ASF Machine will be building the engine for the Targa Miata, V8 Roadster is providing the conversion parts and Hard Dog supplied the safety gear. But we'd like to give all Miata enthusiasts a chance to be part of the team.

We need to raise at least $10,000 to make this happen. If we can't hit that target by March 11th, we'll pull out of the race - that's the last day we can back out without a major penalty. If we only get partway, we may choose to just send the Targa Miata to compete for the win.

We're asking Miata fans to help out by pledging their support. Join the team and make a donation. If we hit our target, every cent will go towards the costs of running the race: entry fees, car transport and event costs. If we don't and we have to back out, we'll simply delete your pledge and we'll never charge your credit card. This is basically the same way we run our group buys.

Depending on how much you pledge, we'll make sure people know it. Everyone will get acknowledged on our website, even if we're not able to go. We haven't designed the special T-shirts yet, but we'll make sure they're super-cool ones you can wear with pride.
Fan (up to $50)
Team member ($50 or more) - get a limited production team member T-shirt that identifies you as one of the coolest Miata people around.
Patron ($500 or more) - limited production T-shirt only for patrons as well as your name on the cars.
Sponsor ($1500 or more) - get your name/business prominently displayed on the car and in all media communications.

Pledge your support

Full details, including car specifications

As you can imagine, we're pretty excited about this.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/7/11 5:30 p.m.

This is awesome

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts New Reader
1/10/11 3:08 p.m.

Have you thought of using kickstarter.com for this? Seems like the perfect use.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts New Reader
1/10/11 3:10 p.m.

On second thought. Maybe that doesn't make sense now that you've already started to collect the cash.. and sponsors :)

Keith
1/10/11 4:52 p.m.

We did look at kickstarter. The problem is that it's not flexible enough. For example, if we get a big corporate donation, there's no way to apply it without running the money through kickstarter and losing 5%.

Also, if we get close but not quite, kickstarter still deletes all the pledges. There's no way for us to say "well, if we do this and use the trailer that Joe offered and all sleep in the cars, we can do it for what we have". For example, we're ready to scale back the team and send just one car instead of two if that's how the funding works out. But kickstarter wouldn't let us do that.

So we're doing the same sort of thing - collecting pledges but not collecting the money until we've got the green light - but on our own.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
1/10/11 6:49 p.m.

Pledged.

Will it be blasphemy to wear my FM shirt when I drive my Solstice?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/10/11 8:26 p.m.

I'm in. Wish I had more to give....what are spectator costs like, and do you need an overnight guard (so I can sleep in the car)?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 8:33 a.m.

In for $50 (the t-shirt offer was one I couldn't refuse)!

mapper
mapper Reader
1/11/11 9:41 a.m.

Done for $50.00.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/11 9:47 a.m.

Hm. Working on scaring up some sponsorship dollars via mah mazda club. More info as it becomes available.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/11/11 10:41 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: In for $50 (the t-shirt offer was one I couldn't refuse)!

Why not $50.01 to get the team member shirt?

dyintorace
1/11/11 10:56 a.m.
T.J. wrote:
dyintorace wrote: In for $50 (the t-shirt offer was one I couldn't refuse)!
Why not $50.01 to get the team member shirt?

Huh? Keith's post said $50 or more gets a shirt. So I sent $50. Did I misunderstand?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 10:58 a.m.

Yeah, the FM page says $50 or more gets you a T-Shirt. Less than $50 gets you bumpkiss.

So if 10 GRM forum-goers pledge $50, can we put 'the GRM peanut gallery" on the car?

I'm in for $50!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/11/11 10:59 a.m.

awaiting payday to pledge

dyintorace
1/11/11 11:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Yeah, the FM page says $50 or more gets you a T-Shirt. Less than $50 gets you bumpkiss. So if 10 GRM forum-goers pledge $50, can we put 'the GRM peanut gallery" on the car? I'm in for $50!

Better yet, if we get 200 members to pledge $50 each, can we chose the overall design???

Keith
1/11/11 11:06 a.m.

About clubs - if we get a total of $500 or more in donations from members of a club, we'll put the club (or race team, or pet ferret, or whatever) name on the car. Anyone in the club who made a donation of at least $50 will also get a shirt. Just give me the names of the people in the club and everyone can donate individually.

At FM, we're car fans, not Miata fans. If you want to wear your shirt in your Solstice, go for it! Even better, bring your Solstice and run it. If you like a wide variety of cars, Targa Newfoundland is a candy store.

If you can get 200 people to band together and put in $50, you get to decide the graphics on Elvis Warning, executive veto will still be in effect. Elvis is actually going to get a bit of cosmetic work to get a bit more pop - he's a gorgeous car right now, but understated.

$49.99 does not get you a t-shirt, but it does get you two things. First, we'll publicly thank you and list you as one of our supporters. Second, you'll help us land bigger sponsors, as it's great to go to a company and say "look, here's the sort of support we have from your potential customers - they're so invested they've actually, well, invested". And three (I'm bad at counting), a warm fuzzy feeling and our gratitude. If you want the special Patron shirt (possibly a jacket, we're still talking about that), that's the $500+ level.

Spectating: I've had a couple of questions about that. I'll put together some details and do a separate post, as it's a good question even if you hate Miatas and want to see us crash into the Atlantic.

Javelin
1/11/11 11:23 a.m.

Okay, so who wants to band together to choose the graphics on Elvis? List so far:

• Javelin
  • Marty!
  • Junkyard_Dog
  • dyintorace
  • mapper

Anybody else?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/11 11:25 a.m.

Keith, I sent you a PM. Also- I do have a pet ferret (two actually) so don't tempt me.... I think it'd be hilarious to have Monster and Bandit on the car. They're gearheads themselves, as I've had to clean brake dust off them more than once, along with the time they adventured into the catalytic converter that used to inhabit my ms3.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/11/11 11:37 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Okay, so who wants to band together to choose the graphics on Elvis? List so far: * Javelin * Marty! * Junkyard_Dog * dyintorace * mapper Anybody else?

Did I miss the part where donors got to help with graphic design?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/11/11 12:12 p.m.

Tom- look at Keith's last post in this thread.

I had to come back to this thread, since the first time I saw it I didn't bother to open it. I just went straight to www.flyinmiata.com instead. Thankfully I saw another thread in one of the other forums. Will donate when I'm not on sketchy Edge network.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/11/11 12:33 p.m.

So if 10 of us can all agree that we want a giant Vagasil logo on Keith's car and are willing to donate $50 to make that happen....

Javelin
1/11/11 12:41 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: So if 10 of us can all agree that we want a giant Vagasil logo on Keith's car and are willing to donate $50 to make that happen....

Exactly! Though they are retaining Veto rights.

I say we cook up an all-original epic race car scheme (like Gulf, Martini, Pink Pig, etc) for the GRM forum...

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/11/11 12:45 p.m.

I do believe you have your first 1500$ commitment

davidjs
davidjs Reader
1/11/11 1:10 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Okay, so who wants to band together to choose the graphics on Elvis? List so far: * Javelin * Marty! * Junkyard_Dog * dyintorace * mapper Anybody else?

Count me in! I was going to do it anyway, but the possibility of combining to do some minor just makes it better

Keith
1/11/11 1:12 p.m.

mndsm, that's excellent news! I was about to answer your email...

In order to get the rights to deface Elvis, the deal was 200 people at $50 Still, if we get 10 donations through the GRM forum we'll definitely acknowledge that. Heck, the Targa car already flies a GRM sticker.

I am definitely up to seeing an all-original epic race car scheme though. I tried before going Martini. We're considering wrapping Elvis for the race, but wrap him with what?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gbs9gqnfAWRkZifzyYtsDZRhFPCSetjpZkfFK7vZtkPujr0kiMZsiHg5m7vkDuaq