Presented by Nine Lives Racing
67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
12/26/20 5:18 p.m.

I thought I would share some pics of the air dam I just added to my 66 Chevelle. It's actually from a Chevy Tahoe and cut down for width.

I made some mounting plates to mount it to that allowed me to set the outer edges back some while the center is right at the bumper.

I thought about having it body color so I painted it white with peel paint but I like it better black. It seems to disappear more. I've taken the white back off.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
12/26/20 5:40 p.m.

I like it! Should help reduce highway float. Agree with black looking better.

Any hidden support for the lower edge?

johndej
johndej Dork
12/26/20 5:41 p.m.

Looks great and the black looks better I agree. Will mention it to my dad who also has a 66 Malibu convertible.

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
12/26/20 7:08 p.m.

Thanks.

The shape of the air dam keeps it pretty stiff without any back supports. It has pretty thick flanges top and bottom. Plus the way I narrowed it up was to cut the center out and the new center, which is a piece of aluminum formed with a slight V, adds strength because the two halfs can't fold back on one another.

I've attached a couple pics of the spoiler in a jig I built to narrow it up. The final version is much more peaked in the center.

In the jig after relief cuts and narrowing.

Some of the relief cuts. I haven't yet but I will probably plastic weld these cuts up.

This same air dam is available with fog light holes which could be used for brake cooling ducts. Plus it's cheap to buy.

Dogdish
Dogdish New Reader
1/9/21 10:17 a.m.

Like the black also.  You'll also pull more air through the radiator at speed having that low pressure beneath.

Nice work, looks "stock" and unobtrusive.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/21 10:33 a.m.

Bonus point for putting a newer Chevrolet part on a 55 year old Chevrolet. 

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
1/9/21 3:42 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Bonus point for putting a newer Chevrolet part on a 55 year old Chevrolet. 

Thanks. The whole project was marrying old Chevy with new.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/21 6:35 p.m.

Looks tits 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/10/21 7:26 p.m.

Looks Great in black......

67LS1
67LS1 New Reader
2/11/21 8:05 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah, black is it. Now that it seems to be solid I'm going to take it back off, eliminate the center piece and have the two sections plastic welded together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xQYrvyLDQYP5cvNKbOyUXCAwRyxi0rpEHAntMJdK2a0Au7ygyPx5RToK8yt5666p