Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
2/13/13 9:20 a.m.

I was planning on making one outo of layers of corrugated plastic and aluminum or plywood but then I was told about Alumalite.

PS, this thread needs more pictures ;)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/13 9:33 a.m.

Here's mine. Too short for the wing, I need more! It's 3" right now.

D_Eclipse9916
D_Eclipse9916 New Reader
2/13/13 10:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: BTW to make coroplast (or alumalite) stronger you can glue on a second layer with the corrugation at a right angle to the first. It will be WAY stiffer.
Ooo, I like that. The "it's so strong I can stand on it" test always seems to be done by little asian guys. I have yet to see a picture of someone with my build standing on their splitter or wing

I wish I had a picture of me standing on this, (6'2 180lbs), but I could stand on it and it would not deflect. Plywood, $18 at the local home depot.

(not me in the photo)

Took half an afternoon and about $30 in supplies during NASA nationals in the paddock. Actually performed better than my alumalite previous one!!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
2/13/13 11:59 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Why did I read the title as "Learn me homemade log splitters"? Man I'm getting old.
You are getting old. I was thinking some kind of signal splitter.
Don't get me started! I've been doing wiring all day. I HATE wiring. I HATE electrical.

Log splitter is a piercing in your back hole as to when you take a #2 it comes out like a split hotdog thats been microwaved . Knowledge is Power !

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/13 1:09 p.m.

Does a splitter need to be level with the car? What I mean is this...

Can the splitter angle down a little at the front?

Thanks,

Rob R.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 1:10 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Does a splitter need to be level with the car? What I mean is this... Can the splitter angle down a little at the front? Thanks, Rob R.

It should be raked a little to create negative pressure behind it.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/13 1:18 p.m.

There was an article in GRM a while back (May 2010)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/issues/details/161/

and there was some discussion on it:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/questions-on-the-aero-article/20399/page1/

Hope this helps.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
2/13/13 5:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Here's mine. Too short for the wing, I need more! It's 3" right now.

Too short in what dimension? (do you mean it doesn't come out in front of the car far enough, or go back under the body far enough?)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/13 9:19 p.m.

It needs to protrude from the car more. Underneath, it's all smooth until behind the front wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KuCwdcYYVLoEzdCMFWhIR6d90Lie88nr9AXeYg1qP8hRKOXHkuoB81ziIennJZyO