Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/12 12:35 p.m.

Long story short here is: You can make massive amounts of downforce even at low speeds, if you design around that low speed. The multi-element wing as seen in the linked pictures is the most effective way to make big downforce at low speeds. The aerodynamics at low speeds presents a special design case as well. At high speeds (as in the OP descriptionof the cars he works on) the attachment is less of an issue. For high angle of attack and highly cambered (curved) surfaces the attachment is even more critical. End-plates help with this, but even so the design is very critical to size/angle/speed/number of elements and gaps between elements. The most efficient downforce is generated on the body itself, but the wings can help drive the bodywork aerodynamics.
The biggest problem with high downforce at low speeds is the drag trade-off. You will pay big drag penalties for big downforce. This will lead to an ultimate condition of maxium speed at all times on the course (max speed everywhere = avg speed everywhere) that hurts striaghtaway performance, but increases corner performance.
JG mentioned the speed effect of aero devices and the drag and downforce increase at the square of the speed. Example: double the speed the aero forces quadruple, also halve the speed the aero forces are one-quarter.
The tire limit issue is one that does physically exist, but I have never come across anyone who has created enough downforce to overwork the tires. You would have to change construction of the tire sidewall to counteract the loads before the compound starts to react negatively to increased downforce. That is not to say that the compound will remain usefull at the increased lateral loading that increased aero loading allows.
Long answer, but it is what I do...
S Stafford

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/12 12:42 p.m.

I know certain feminine hygiene products feature wings and they are not performing at anything near 70mph...

tugiaou
tugiaou New Reader
6/29/12 1:58 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was wrong based on the facts from feedback. I should have mentioned the car that I was to improve times! I was wondering for a Miata whether a wing would improve my times and my calculations showed drag was to high for stock horse power. Some people seem to had success with properly proportion wings .I also could see Multi layer wings could work for it seems for light weight open wheels cars as long as the drag is not over the horse power . As for airplanes that have STOL, the wing length has a lot do with stalling and most wings on slalom cars the the single layer wings are much shorter. Sorry for the controversy and any person I might have upset. Tugiaou

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/29/12 2:41 p.m.

In reply to tugiaou:

I doubt anyone is upset with you. Personally I love these discussions since I learn from so many people "in the know"

Would love to pull the trigger on a huge rear wing. I just need it easily removable so I can drive the 20 miles to the autocross course.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/12 2:49 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Would love to pull the trigger on a huge rear wing. I just need it easily removable so I can drive the 20 miles to the autocross course.

Or really ADJUSTABLE so you dont need more than a few tools or space to carry it and set it up...

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
6/29/12 3:04 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: You may be interested in this. Or even the entire thread. http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?p=1061627#post1061627

I was going to mention Terry's excellent work on the subject. He always provides a good read full of tech.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
6/30/12 8:13 a.m.

For sure grip is improved with the right BIG wings even at very slow speeds,I run single element wings on mine due to costs but they were designed for the speeds involved.To keep the build simple I use a flat floor so no diffuser,undertray,skirts etc and even at low speeds the dust can be seen attaching to the flow under the wing. My car is seen at :50 and 5:15. http://youtu.be/c4usa5IIYKA

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
6/22/14 2:19 p.m.

Anyone know where I can buy a cheap, but somewhat effective wing element? Most of the ones on ebay don't have enough camber.

This one would be perfect for my LeGrand, but at $2200 it's about $2000 out of my budget.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/445456

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/14 3:13 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: But would it be possible to create a configuration such that a car would not be able to negotiate a given corner at speed x, but due to additional downforce the same car would be able to negotiate the corner at speed >x. Basically, is there ever a point where the additional aero force curve is steeper than the additional slip angle curve?

IIRC, this concept was discussed in the 962 vs. Miata article. I remember something about having to go fast enough to use the aerodynamics, but you have to use the aerodynamics to go fast enough.

On the 962, that is.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/22/14 7:31 p.m.

This was a good thread to resurrect.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/22/14 9:26 p.m.

It was. You guys should listen to the podcast this coming Wednesday.

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
6/26/14 6:11 p.m.

Where do I find something like this at a GRM friendly price??

These are on an old indy car, most likely street course high downforce package.

Ever think something like this will come up on Ebay? Maybe a FSAE team selling off old stuff?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nEmckOjhppYoipnJK0jZLab8FWHklGuHV8EpY8XUXlI3bRdxD9wIEJDjdCzjd6Gq