Presented by Nine Lives Racing
DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/28/20 4:03 p.m.

Having seen it done a few different ways, which is the better way to go for mounting a spoiler?

1) Mount directly to the trunk as had been done by OEM's for ages.

2) Mounting (as close as possible) directly to the frame.

3) Mounting to the body of the trunk hole.

I am working out a design for some aero for the Intrepid (not any time soon, want to get more seat time first) and I want to begin putting ideas on to paper to get an idea of how to best implement the entire package as a whole, and depending on seat time it may be a ways off (re: years) before it is something I **need** to do. But it is something I'd like to experiment with. 

For what its worth, the car would end up classed as 'Unlimited FWD' because of the turbo. Locally (Gimli) I want to use it for the 'Time Attack' they do there, so I believe I have fairly open ended parameters for aero. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 4:33 p.m.

Spoiler or wing? They'll mount differently.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/28/20 5:40 p.m.

Wing.  In my head I see it sitting higher in cleaner air. I need to dig further to see if there is any aerodynamic information available for the car aside from the drag coefficient posted to allpar. Or when the time comes pay to get my car 3D scanned and get the data from it.   

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 5:52 p.m.

First, ignore what OEMs have done because all they really do is sell styling products. 

If your wing is intended to be functional, it will be providing a fair bit of downwards force and no lack of rear force. So the mount has to be solid. Mounting to the edges of the trunk hole is a pretty good way to get a strong mounting surface. The trunklid is more likely to deform. And yes, you'll want to get that wing into clean air if possible. There are usually rules on how tall and how far back they can be.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/28/20 6:10 p.m.

From what sticks out from my reading of the rules, I can not exceed the height of the roof or extend beyond the edge of the bodywork. I think. I would have to double check, I may have been checking lower classifications rulings on aero because I thought I'd never be competitive in unlimited, but further reading I realized based on what I have already done, it falls into unlimited. It is something I need to double check on specific restrictions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
idSnS2vvW9stf8djAWxUpdf4lLCAwd9OFmuvcuxfvoCeuQq1Tqh7tqZ9bU42qVgd