Presented by Nine Lives Racing
loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/25/20 5:51 p.m.

If I go ahead and attach tufts of yarn all over the race car and get video of it at speed, what should I be looking for? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/20 5:53 p.m.

Dead spots and active spots.  Active is where the air is flowing, that's where you can put aero, dead shows where you need to adjust your aero in order to redirect air flow.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
1/25/20 7:04 p.m.

Is the goal to get as many areas active as possible or to get air all flowing in the same direction?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/25/20 10:34 p.m.
loosecannon said:

If I go ahead and attach tufts of yarn all over the race car and get video of it at speed, what should I be looking for? 

What are you trying to accomplish?

Here's a pic of me using a car like mine for tuft test. Some things aren't what most people want to see. As an example the area by the fender vent opening, people want to see the yarn being blown straight back like there's a fan in the vent opening but that's not what occurs.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/AERO/6f143724-b140-4041-afd0-9e28ebedf759_zpscvvsgdeg.jpg.html][/URL]

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/25/20 10:50 p.m.

This pic shows the high pressure area at the base of the windshield doesn't extend far enough forward for a "Ram Air" Trans Am hood scoop to actually get a ram air effect. It gets more of a bullet effect as you can see by the yarn. And that only really occurs enough to notice in yarn movement when I opened the throttle enough to open the scoop flap. So really a "Ram Air" Trans Am scoop probably just increases drag other than providing ambient temperature intake air.

Note the turfs at the leading edge of the hood up waving "Hi!".

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/AERO/20160820_181315_zpstilrhaop.jpg.html][/URL]

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/25/20 10:59 p.m.

There is also a liquid you can spray on a car to map airflow.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/26/20 1:01 p.m.
loosecannon said:

Is the goal to get as many areas active as possible or to get air all flowing in the same direction?

It depends on the area, and it depends on what your goals are for that area.  Also, sometimes tufts won't always tell you something, or you'll need a longer tuft and/or a 'suspended' one to get an idea of what's going on...

kind of like what KTR did with a FF Daytona Coupe:

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/27/20 7:07 p.m.

Shouldn't that tuft behind the wing be kicking up?

Johnny_at_NineLives
Johnny_at_NineLives GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/4/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to BA5 :

yes it should. the wing is stalled and not working as intended.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
45hb3uWcNX9PO9RhI417v6Px5vYzbN74ODDG67utp2XWuvCOpS5MtaGO6ulVOdKG