1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/18 3:09 p.m.

2002 ranger, 4.0, 5spd and 4 wheel drive

206k, quite literally owned by an old man who spent a lot of time on the highway, I googled him. 

I wss only going to look at it, but when I saw how immaculately rust free it was, especially for the price, I had to buy it. 

It comes home tomorrow, I didn't have enough drivers to pull it off today. While it's inspected until December, there are a couple things that need looked at. It will need a new muffler, a front wheel bearing, and the 4wd lights are on even when it's in 2 wheel. 

This was a somewhat unexpected surprise, and I'm not sure what route ill going to go with it yet. Definitely swapping over my stereo and probably speakers from the vic, but I'm trying to decide about my wheel situation, as in which to keep. I'm leaning towards keeping my steelies with winter tires on them and selling the 18x10s with the vic after I put new front tires on them. 

Be on the lookout for a sale thread for my p71 soon. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/18 3:24 p.m.

Good little truck.

Going to be selling a P71, huh?

Covers ears: LA LA LA LA LA LA LA....

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/23/18 4:05 p.m.

Some of those had torsen diffs front and rear.  I would like the one that comes in the front as I believe it’s a 7.5.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
1/23/18 4:26 p.m.

That is very nice looking truck.  For the right price I would have bought it too.

RevRico
1/23/18 4:36 p.m.

200k miles was a hard pill to swallow, as the vic has 230k, but I honestly don't think my dad's 05 F150 had this good of sheet metal and we bought that new. 

Asking price was 2800, I got it for 27. Not a screaming deal, but my god, compared to the $3-5k trucks on my local CL, I might as well have stolen the truck. 

The tomatoes tonno the bed cover thingy is a new one by me. I've never had one. My dad was big on caps, I prefer open bed. Is there a good used market on those things? Do they actually help mileage?

I'll be getting more and better pics when it comes home, the ones in the add were less than good. 

Clutch feels good, brakes feel pretty good, I can't wait to get it on a rally cross circuit.

The only questionable spot on all the metal I've seen is the bottom of the third door. Looks to be a few years from going the whole way through, and doors aren't that hard to come by, so a non issue to me. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/23/18 4:50 p.m.

Tonneau covers are handy for a couple of reasons: they do reduce aero drag a bit and in a climate with snow, you can just brush the snow off the bed instead of having to shovel it out. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/23/18 5:23 p.m.

That is a nice looking truck, great buy!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/18 8:46 p.m.

4.0 FX4 is an 8.8 rear end.  Only Rangers that came with the 8.8.

RevRico
1/23/18 9:20 p.m.

I honestly didn't realize it was a "special" edition until after the fact, I'm just used to the Fx4 on so many trucks, I never really knew what it was. 

With 2002 specifically it has these options. 

The Ford Ranger FX4. This was Ford's answer to the serious off-roader. Ford new that these trucks were seeing a lot of off-road use, and took in interest in how guys were modifying their trucks. Now, Ford was about to offer lift kits on their new 2002 Ford Ranger FX4, but it did come with these notable features:

• 4.0L SOHC V6

• Bilstein Shocks

• Skid Plates

• 31-spline Ford 8.8-inch rear axle

• Torsen Limited Slip Differential

• 4.10 Gears

• 31x10.50x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires

• 15-inch Alcoa wheels

• Tow hooks

• Manual transfer case

• Sport bucket seats

In 2002 they only had the one Fx4 model, in later years there was also an FX4 Level 2. The 2002 and the later level 2's were model exclusive receivers of the 31 spline 8.8. 2002 was torsen, 2004 on was a trac loc (from what I've been able to find online). 2002-2004 was also the last time with a manual transfer case. 

It's currently sitting on some firestone all seasons with about half tread left. They'll be good enough for summer I guess. 

What is bothering me about the research I'm doing after the fact, is while I can find dozens of solutions for *flashing* 4wd lights, I haven't found anything about lights that are solid on. I'm pretty sure it worked. I can find out for sure tomorrow when I get it home because there's LOTS of mud around right now.  

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/23/18 9:43 p.m.

Light solid on could just be a bad sensor in the case so it's stuck reading as if it's in 4wd all the time. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
1/24/18 9:13 a.m.

Seems like a solid buy especially if it's been serviced and well cared for.  Those wheels look like standard run of the mil  steel wheels that came on the base models.  If it still has the correct lug nuts on you can just get a set of the OEM chrome center caps and pop them on and it would clean it up a bit.  

I've got a '96 although it's the 2.3/auto, reg cab long bed.  Purchased for 400 w/ a broken timing belt.  I ended up replacing a whole lot of other things but probably all in under 2k including purchase price.  I would prefer a 5 speed w/ this motor or at least the 3.0/auto, but truck was nearby and I prob saved it from the crusher.  Fairly solid underneath, may need rear hangers replaced soon.

Before shot:

Present condition (I couldn't stand the farm truck bed cap)

Yes, needs center caps as well, looking for some aftermarket push through style since I'm running splined lug nuts.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/18 9:18 a.m.

The 8.8" rear is a corporate "theft" of the GM 12-bolt.  Good, strong axle.

Looks like a great bargain

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/24/18 9:40 a.m.

I bought a 93 Ranger at an auction. It was a 4x4 RCLB 4.0. 

It had served as a county parks department truck. I guess I might be wrong, but I thought at the time that it had an 8.8 with a limited slip. I wonder if that axle package was available for fleet sales. 

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/24/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

8.8s were common among trucks with the 4.0 v6. What makes this truck special is the fact that it has stronger 31 spline axles and a Torsen differential, while most others were 28 spline axles with open differentials, or Ford's Trac-Loc limited slip.

RevRico:

That's a nice truck. Be sure and listen for rattling from timing chain guides (1 front of engine, and 1 rear). They're a known issue with 98-04ish 4.0 SOHC engines and can be an engine killer if left unattended. Repairing them is an "engine out" affair.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/24/18 11:02 a.m.

Nice score. smiley 

RevRico
1/24/18 1:34 p.m.
STM317 said:

RevRico:

That's a nice truck. Be sure and listen for rattling from timing chain guides (1 front of engine, and 1 rear). They're a known issue with 98-04ish 4.0 SOHC engines and can be an engine killer if left unattended. Repairing them is an "engine out" affair.

That was my biggest worry with the miles when I went and checked it out. I can now say for sure while it's a noisy, slow truck, that particular noise isn't present. 

Just brought it home. The heat is overpowering. It corners better than I thought it would. I definitely need to replace the muffler or go over the exhaust pipe, very droney regardless of gear or rpm going down the road. But it does have some nice burbles while engine braking. 

So issues: door ajar light stays on, so I removed the dome light bulbs. 4wd light stays on, there's a left turn signal out, and the exhaust. And I think the shift knob could be heavier. Oh and an annoying wind noise from the broken vent visor.   Not to too shabby overall. 

How do I get the tonneau off? I tried pulling up on a corner and started shaking the whole bed instead. I thought they were just buttoned on?

Oh and bonus, the tires are year old firestone winter forces. Steel 15"wheels instead of aluminum stock. I prefer steel anyway. 

RevRico
1/24/18 1:52 p.m.

just a few pictures to tied everyone over until I start a build thread/it's not 30 degrees outside.

I can't get over how clean all the steel is, especially there at the tailgate/bed edge. I did notice a worrying spot on the front bottom of the bed, between the bed and cab, that I can't get my camera to focus on. Oh well. 

jmabarone
jmabarone New Reader
1/24/18 2:08 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Floating Doc :

8.8s were common among trucks with the 4.0 v6. What makes this truck special is the fact that it has stronger 31 spline axles and a Torsen differential, while most others were 28 spline axles with open differentials, or Ford's Trac-Loc limited slip.

RevRico:

All 90+ 4.0s had the 8.8.  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/18 8:23 p.m.

Both the work trucks at my last job had the door ajar issue. all we did was take out the dome light.

RevRico
1/24/18 11:46 p.m.

I thought about it, and decided this might as well just be the build thread, there's pictures and questions and answers already. If I could trouble a mod to move this to the builds section and change the name to "Ranger FX4 daily and.." I would greatly appreciate it. 

Sorry if I repeat myself with some things, I'm just trying to get organized. 

Door Ajar light - CRC spray lube the latches, open and close a few times. Or keep the dome bulbs for spares. 

4WD light - Clean 4wd control switch contacts in passenger kick panel. 

Chase the wires at the back of the shifter. Figure out where the CB looking plug leads and remove or repair. 

Check air and age of spare tire

Swap speakers and stereo from vic. 

Oil change, send a sample to blackstone. 

Basic tune up, plugs, wires, filters. 

Check diff, trans, and transfer case fluids. If low, drain and refill. 

Order Wheel bearings for spring. They list front inner, front outer, and rear is rear. Are the fronts two piece or is this a weird way to say driver/passenger side? Should I just buy the whole hub ($50) instead of pressing the bearings($2.50)?

Buy a damn manual or find a digital one. 

I wanted to upgrade to rear discs. The cheap and easy junkyard way is for the 28 spline axles, not my fancy 31 splines. I can use explorer axles from what I've heard, but I need a 7/16" spacer made to clear the caliper(that I can't find a picture specifically of) and then figure something out with the parking brake. There isn't a good writeup I've found for the explorer axle swap, and digging into things I'm also seeing a lot of people say no junkyard parts available, need to buy a $700 kit from summit. But almost all the threads are from 2011 or before. Seems like a big gap in information and home engineering since then. 

In one of those old threads, I saw talk of people paying stupid money for the fancy chrome tow hooks. I don't like chrome and would happily replace them with something from a junkyard, so I need to look into that market. 

The hitch confuses me. It has both weight distrubted ratings(5000) and not weight distributed ratings(3300). It looks like a standard truck hitch to me. There is a qr code on it I can scan, but how can it be both a weight distributing and non? I don't plan on towing much or often, but it would be nice to know the limits. 

So I just ran the math on putting these wheels on it. I thought it would be funny. 

They're 18x10 aluminum, 275 35 in the back, 235 50 in the front. 27.25" total diameter, which is 4 smaller than the 31's on the ranger. Here's why it's a terrible idea. 

So, any summer or highway tire recommendations, since it now looks like I need to buy some? Preferably 15"

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
1/25/18 1:55 a.m.

It's too bad that those wheels are 18s.  I'm looking for some 17s for the Mighty Mint.

jmabarone
jmabarone New Reader
1/25/18 6:14 a.m.
RevRico said:

I wanted to upgrade to rear discs. The cheap and easy junkyard way is for the 28 spline axles, not my fancy 31 splines. I can use explorer axles from what I've heard, but I need a 7/16" spacer made to clear the caliper(that I can't find a picture specifically of) and then figure something out with the parking brake. There isn't a good writeup I've found for the explorer axle swap, and digging into things I'm also seeing a lot of people say no junkyard parts available, need to buy a $700 kit from summit. But almost all the threads are from 2011 or before. Seems like a big gap in information and home engineering since then. 

FWIW, in my '96 2WD Ranger with the 2.3, I can lock the rear tires up LONG before the fronts are near locking.  More braking in the rear isn't necessarily a need of Rangers based on my experience.  

You could swap in the Explorer axle and sell the 31 spline axle for $$$ because it is so highly desired.  

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
1/25/18 7:42 a.m.

WIW, in my '96 2WD Ranger with the 2.3, I can lock the rear tires up LONG before the fronts are near locking.  More braking in the rear isn't necessarily a need of Rangers based on my experience.  

That seems odd, unless your ABS was out or disabled?   Pretty sure all 3rd gen & up got rear ABS standard, 4 wheel optional(mainly 4wd models?).  I know my '96 has it and it still works, as tested a few times in the snow.  

jmabarone
jmabarone New Reader
1/25/18 8:46 a.m.
Stanger2000 said:

WIW, in my '96 2WD Ranger with the 2.3, I can lock the rear tires up LONG before the fronts are near locking.  More braking in the rear isn't necessarily a need of Rangers based on my experience.  

That seems odd, unless your ABS was out or disabled?   Pretty sure all 3rd gen & up got rear ABS standard, 4 wheel optional(mainly 4wd models?).  I know my '96 has it and it still works, as tested a few times in the snow.  

No ABS on my truck.  I put in a Trak-loc and I was surprised to see the ABS ring on the diff carrier.  

EDIT:  I'm now wondering if the ABS just never functioned in my truck.  After looking at the ABS controller, I recognize that it is much smaller than the ABS pump I was expecting.  Hmmm...I'm okay with a lack of ABS. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/18 8:54 a.m.

I think 4wd extended cab rangers are really good looking trucks.  Nice buy! 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U1dWjohuXCEm8vO9AgKUJzRj0yLc1XvOHRB1gaQDdSLiUKAmbFPeH5jNjNc5nUxy