Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill
12/29/19 8:10 a.m.

Hi all looking for info and input ....I'm new here....

I have a 1932 Pontiac frame that I narrowed on the rear end. It's going to be a boat tail racer.

it has a straight 8 flathead Oldsmobile motor .

im wanting to move the rear suspension from under the frame to the side and thinking this is a good place to ask,if I figure out how to add pics will post some .also should I upgrade the suspension and brakes at this time,I kind of want to leave it 1930s but not sure what's out there.

any good resources I should be looking?

thanks phil

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 8:14 a.m.

How do I add pics

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/29/19 8:17 a.m.

There is a little mountain in a box next to the smiley button above the text box. Select the upload tab and find the picture. If you dont select the upload tab, just paste the URL of the picture. Here is a whole thread explaining it: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/the-total-noobs-guide-to-posting-pics-on-the-grm-forums/127805/page1/

Welcome to the fun house! I can wait to see your project!

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Yep just got it thanks

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 8:48 a.m.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 8:54 a.m.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 8:57 a.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/29/19 9:02 a.m.

Welcome to the asylum! You fit right in here!

Not sure i understand what you are asking as far as rhe rear suspension. I think you mean.the leaf spring mounting points from u der tbe.frame witb straight shackles to sides of tghe frame with hangers and shackles. 

Right?

If so, whats the ultimate goal of the car?

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 9:03 a.m.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yep your right ...... leaf springs 

the goal is to race ,hill climb and have as much fun as I can  don't think it will be street legal.

I have ah sprites and compete in them this is something different.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/29/19 9:17 a.m.

Ok. Is period correctness important? If not, go for it. For pre-war, yhe way it is now. Post, quarter elliptical would get my vote for awesomeness factor.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 9:28 a.m.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 9:29 a.m.

The middle one  is not mine,the two sprites are...

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yep I agree,quarter elliptical would be cool ,need to do some research 

Would like it to look 1920s 1930s so are limited to a degree.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/29/19 9:47 a.m.

Yup. Dont remember seeing much in the way of quarter elliptical pre-war. Just under rail like it is now.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/29/19 10:44 a.m.

Bugatti used 1/4 elliptics a lot pre war. The disadvantage they have is concentrating all of the load in a small area of frame. The advantage is the strong frame can end at the shock mounting, not far rear of what is now the front spring perch. Look at Bugattis, they are all well documented, but most put the chassis end of the 1/4 elliptic behind the axle. I would put it at the front for weight saving and more natural loading, think about dragging a sheet of anything over a bump to get my meaning. At least one additional trailing arm is neccesary too, it can be inboard in the middle. I think a Brooklands style nose cone would finish the body off in super style.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
12/29/19 11:58 a.m.

Yep I agree still looking for a nose cone......anyone...got one....I'm going to pull the wood mockup off the car and start to sort out running gear brakes and the rear end im in no hurry so can look around would be nice to hide the rear end springs as it takes away from the boat tail

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
1/20/20 1:13 p.m.

Hi all need some help 

on the frame is a tag    S2274-p8

i was told it's a 1934 Pontiac but can't find any info with this 

any ideas and help much appreciated 

thanks phil .

Dusterbd13-michael
1/20/20 1:17 p.m.

No idea

Maybe ask over on the h.a.m.b.?

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
1/20/20 1:22 p.m.

Looked over there did see anything.

someone will know just a matter of time.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/20/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Kiwiphill :

Poking around during lunch because I love a good complex search query.

This thread  on AACA says that on 1932 Pontiac chassis tags the -P8 denotes it was a V8 car. I'd PM the 32Pontiac6 poster and since he states he's the technical advisor for his club.

Jalopy Journal says there were 6,282 of the V8 cars produced in 1932 but doesn't give a serial range like the AACA thread does for the V6 cars.

Cool project.

Kiwiphill
Kiwiphill New Reader
1/20/20 3:50 p.m.

Will be interesting to see what they say 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/20/20 5:32 p.m.

1932 Pontiac V8 cars were pretty uncommon, the engine came from the Oakland car (Oakland was around first, then Pontiac was introduced in 1927 and within a few years replaced Oakland altogether.)  There used to be a man in my area who had a '32 Pontiac V8 coupe that was perfectly restored, it was a handsome car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7QhRXNDe4cEIx0ZzJzwJyrvIdibRWBgZETUhA54osu2kpPWSNQYI12ALvxZdrpA6