1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/2/16 7:21 a.m.

Another big update. Dad was busy yesterday too.

Patching holes in the firewall, and making clearance pockets for the front tires.

Got the other side too.

This was the hole for the cabin filter.

Won't need that. Because racecar!

Heater line holes

Deleted!

After soaking overnight. Kapow! Clean as a whistle.

Had to take windage tray off for a trim. It will not clear the oil pan at full length.

This is why the engine was so cheap.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/4/16 7:42 a.m.

Another big update.

Made water pump mount.

Made a cowl induction hood mold with lots of help from Jim Thwaite. This is the scoop we started with.

The stock hood getting ready to be molded.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/4/16 8:14 p.m.

'twas a very fun and productive day. Cant wait to see the first hood come out of that mold. Some very um...creative thinking went into getting to the quickest path to success....Credit to your dad on the unique ideas, but they worked and you have a good mold to work with now.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/6/16 7:21 a.m.

Update.

Took the mold off of the hood. It came out really good. The gray brown patches are either paint that cam off of the hood, or mold release.

Finished assembling and installed LQ4 into car. Also, painted the intake.

Continued assembling car.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/16 7:33 a.m.

How are those puny little brakes going to put up with this BEAST?

Awesome job! This thing is awesome.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/6/16 8:20 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: How are those puny little brakes going to put up with this BEAST? Awesome job! This thing is awesome.

We are doing everything we can to lighten this thing up, hence the fiberglass work. I'm sure the brakes will do just fine.

Thanks for the kind words. I cannot wait to drive the thing!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/8/16 8:10 p.m.

Update time.

Gas tank and battery are installed.

Msd ignition controller is installed.

Coolant system is done. Coil packs are installed.

We're getting close!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/11/16 7:46 a.m.

The hood is about 80% done.

Preparing the mold. Filled all of the voids with clay.

Gelcoat

First layer.

I didn't get any pictures of the woodwork, or susequent layers, but here it is currently.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/11/16 8:45 p.m.

Update time!

I got a picture of the wood work on the hood.

Dad is better at the precision grinder work. Couldn't do it without him.

We were able to lower the car to the ground and get some pictures.

We also weighed the car. 2802 pounds with me in it. We still have a few things to add, but I'm pretty happy.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/16 9:43 p.m.

didn't like the lime green intake, eh?

i know i was just there a couple weeks ago, but you and i both have accomplished quite a bit since then. looking forward to seeing how far along it's come. i'm down to 6-7 minor things left on the to do list.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
9/11/16 11:47 p.m.

Looks pretty impressive! Curious what it will look like by the time you get to the Challenge.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/12/16 5:58 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Looks pretty impressive! Curious what it will look like by the time you get to the Challenge.

What's wrong with the way it looks now?

Fuzzy is focused on trying to get there, not the looks. The hood was completed while assembling the engine, installing the engine, assembling the front end, wiring, plumbing, it's a long list...21 days ago the project was started/restarted.

He has been working on the car since he was 16. It got rear ended and fixed and then rear ended again while he was driving it to his intern job during college. The car was parked while he finished college.

The main focus was on another car that was planned for 2016, and now should be there in 2017. Plan A was shoved into the barn and the Stude is coming in its place. It kinda' cool to see an Ol' Stude with a new story. Hope you like whatever form it shows up in at the Challenge. It has been a monsterous effort.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/12/16 10:20 a.m.
patgizz wrote: didn't like the lime green intake, eh?

Nah. I couldn't stand that thing.

patgizz wrote: i know i was just there a couple weeks ago, but you and i both have accomplished quite a bit since then. looking forward to seeing how far along it's come. i'm down to 6-7 minor things left on the to do list.

We're pretty much in the same spot. Can't wait to see you down there.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/12/16 10:23 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Looks pretty impressive! Curious what it will look like by the time you get to the Challenge.

You mean you don't like the different colored body panels. Come on, you have no sense of style.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/12/16 10:57 a.m.

Wow, that hood came out looking great!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/12/16 1:16 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Wow, that hood came out looking great!

Thanks. It was a rush job, so I am very satisfied with the results in spite of that.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/12/16 4:10 p.m.

I can't believe more people don't use those wheels for fronts!

patgizz
9/12/16 8:32 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I can't believe more people don't use those wheels for fronts!

they're hard to find anymore. i wish i had a couple pairs of them.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
9/12/16 8:58 p.m.

I didn't mean anything bad by it. You guys seem to get a ton done and are good at what you're doing with the car. I meant it more like "the surprises keep coming from this build" and as a compliment.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/12/16 9:28 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I didn't mean anything bad by it. You guys seem to get a ton done and are good at what you're doing with the car. I meant it more like "the surprises keep coming from this build" and as a compliment.

I was just giving you a hard time. I guess it is hard to convey sarcasm over text communication. Thanks for the kind words!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/12/16 10:38 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I didn't mean anything bad by it. You guys seem to get a ton done and are good at what you're doing with the car. I meant it more like "the surprises keep coming from this build" and as a compliment.

Ya, I was teasing too.

We're going for the cool factor, not the drool factor. At least in our feable imaginations.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/13/16 9:23 p.m.

Time for an update.

Hood pins are done.

Wiring is 99% done. I just need to figure out if the alternator needs a swithe 12V input. Won't know until we fire it up.

We're hoping to fire it up on Saturday, so look forward to that!

patgizz
9/13/16 10:12 p.m.

B terminal on alternator plug should get ignition power with a 470w 1/2 ohm resistor soldered in line to excite it.

I have resistors but if you have a radio shack in town it's quicker and almost as cheap to go grab one. Think theyre about 1.10 for a 5 pack.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/13/16 10:23 p.m.
patgizz wrote: B terminal on alternator plug should get ignition power with a 470w 1/2 ohm resistor soldered in line to excite it. I have resistors but if you have a radio shack in town it's quicker and almost as cheap to go grab one. Think theyre about 1.10 for a 5 pack.

You mind grabbing a picture?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
9/14/16 5:59 a.m.

I think he means 470 ohm, 1/2 watt, as a 470w 1/2 ohm resister would be massive. Like a battery tester.

Ref: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1408951-98-ls1-wiring-harness-alternator-exciter-wire-what-should-voltage.html

Here's a supply for such resistors; https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-470-ohm-1-2w-5-carbon-film-resistor-pk-5?variant=5717273285

1 2 3 4 5 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GwEZEf8nOzOhisiMSUBNAf0P1CHpqtGQv6qLT0GQM3VPBoaZUGwl3ydyXiuIbUPr