1 2 3 4 5
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/24/18 12:10 p.m.

Welcome to the GRM Corvair family! 

Now I just need to scrape some money together and get my ‘68 out on the road. 

Next year the Corvair National Convention is being hosted by my club here in Chicago and that’s my motivation to get it rolling. 

Your ‘66 looks great. Maybe at some point you can find all the stuff for the 180 Turbo and make it whole again. They are a blast to drive. 

Congrats on the purchase! 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/24/18 3:30 p.m.

Nice!  I've always liked those!

wawazat
wawazat Reader
8/24/18 4:10 p.m.

Love the 2nd gen Corvair and you have a nice one!yes

Bring a Trailer had a very nice deep brown 2nd gen recently sell for a ton.  It was very nicely done and had a great look.  Petrolicious has a nice black 2nd gen featured recently as well.  

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/18 11:34 p.m.

Hmm could that 102 be a 110 as in 110hp two carb motor. Not familiar with a 102, I think it was 110, 140 and turbo as only options. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/31/18 12:09 a.m.

102 was essentially the same as the later 110, only it was the smaller displacement found pre-1965 (I think I remember them leaving the rating at 102 in '64, but I could be wrong on this).  My '63 was a 102 4-speed with the rare 3.08 final drive, only available that year (my dad was a gas mileage guy).  A 2nd gen should be a 110 (or a 95, that was also a 2-carb).

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 1:07 a.m.

80, 95, 102, 110, 140, 150, and 180 were all the stock Corvair hp ratings through the model years. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
8/31/18 6:36 a.m.

I didn't even know telescoping was an option.  Does it telescope, but not tilt?  

The 60's were awesome, and so is this car.  

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/31/18 6:51 a.m.

INSANELY SIMPLE,  I took Apart my first one in 67 and have dreamed of a flat 8 ever since then.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/31/18 7:11 a.m.

Must be something in the water this year.   I had never even seriously looked at Corvairs but my dad wants a Lakewood wagon so I started hunting and researching.  Still havent found a good one but went to look at a local convertible just so I could see what a good one felt like to drive.   Seller ended up being in a bit of a spot and really needed the money so I made an offer he should have refused but didn't.  There will be no build thread on this one....for once I'm going to leave well enough alone :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/18 7:26 a.m.

I love the tissue dispenser, man I could use on of those for Mrs. Pinchvalve! 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/31/18 9:26 a.m.

I am picking it up from the body shop today.

As far as the engine goes the seller said it has 102 heads.  Based on my research they are from a 63 or 64. I am assuming he used them because they were available when he rebuilt the engine, which is bored over and has a cam.  There is no telling how much power it makes.  It runs well and doesn't leak so I am happy.

I am possibly going to buy the stock turbo engine from him which is partially dismantled.

In other news I bought a chin spoiler and scored a set of 16x8 iroc wheels from the junk yard.  

I will do an update when I pick up the car...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 9:54 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

IROC wheels are one of the best looking OEM wheels to put on the Late Model. I have a set in the garage that are waiting for tires, so I can put them on my ‘68. Depending on what has already been done to the car, it may need longer wheel studs for the wheels. 

The chin spoiler is also a good investment, it not only looks good, it will keep the front end from feeling floaty down the highway if you don’t have anything in the trunk. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/31/18 9:54 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Maybe at some point you can find all the stuff for the 180 Turbo and make it whole again. They are a blast to drive. 

I'm curious - has anyone updated a Turbo car with a modern turbocharger and modern technology?  Seems like it would be a big upgrade over the original configuration.  I'm guessing they have but I just haven't heard of it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 9:57 a.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Early Model Convertibles are a blast to drive. I drive my dads ‘64 Monza all the time (since my ‘68 still isn’t done frown). The 110 isn’t a rocket, but it’s peppy and probably the best of all the Corvair motors. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 10:05 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Maybe at some point you can find all the stuff for the 180 Turbo and make it whole again. They are a blast to drive. 

I'm curious - has anyone updated a Turbo car with a modern turbocharger and modern technology?  Seems like it would be a big upgrade over the original configuration.  I'm guessing they have but I just haven't heard of it.

Actually, there used to be a member here who had a couple different late model coupes. I believe he was from Canada. One had an LS1 swap all the way in the back (no mid-engine conversion) and the other one was a 180 Turbo with a different turbo plumbing setup with a more modern turbo and an intercooler. 

I believe his SN was AUTOXR. Yes, it was, here’s a crappy picture:

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/18 10:25 a.m.

a local friend of mine (Saline MI) did an EFI turbo with water/air intercooling, milled the original intakes off the heads and welded on individual runners, etc.   he did not document the build on the net, and i haven't seen it since he finished it.   he tells me it runs like a raped ape, and we all know that raped apes are pretty quick.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 10:32 a.m.

I really wish someone would cast new heads for Corvairs with updated valve train.  As much as people pay for *good* aluminum heads, I would think  people would drop some coin on new ones, especially with the fact that Corvairs have been significantly going up in price for the last decade. 

Problem is, they are still considered “thrifty” classic cars. The standard Corvair owner mentality is to be as cheap as possible, but then what’s funny is that if the engine takes a dump, then the motor is too expensive to rebuild and it’s time to sell the car and find another running one for pennies on the dollar. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/31/18 12:58 p.m.

Actually, there used to be a member here who had a couple different late model coupes. I believe he was from Canada. One had an LS1 swap all the way in the back (no mid-engine conversion) and the other one was a 180 Turbo with a different turbo plumbing setup with a more modern turbo and an intercooler.

There was a guy over on the HAMB board who swapped a 409 Chevy engine into an early Corvair.  It was rear mounted as well, not like a Crown kit.  The installation looked really well done but I wondered how the transaxle was going to hold up to that engine.  He kind of disappeared off the board so I don't know if it ever got finished and streetable.

I really wish someone would cast new heads for Corvairs with updated valve train.  As much as people pay for *good* aluminum heads, I would think  people would drop some coin on new ones, especially with the fact that Corvairs have been significantly going up in price for the last decade. 

Just the other day I saw a picture in a car magazine of an overhead cam Corvair engine that Chevrolet had been working on back in the 1960s. It apparently was just an engineering exercise that was never close to production, so who knows how much improvement it would have been over the OEM heads.  Nowadays with CNC machining and 3D printing and all that, it still wouldn't be cheap but it would seem relatively straightforward to manufacture new heads.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/31/18 1:21 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Early Model Convertibles are a blast to drive. I drive my dads ‘64 Monza all the time (since my ‘68 still isn’t done frown). The 110 isn’t a rocket, but it’s peppy and probably the best of all the Corvair motors. 

Quite agreed.  It does NOTHING well but it sure does put a smile on your face going down the road.  It handles terribly, its not fast but somehow...I have more fun driving it than most anything else I own.  Then again...few, if any, of my cars would be deemed performance oriented at this point so my standards are low :)

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/31/18 4:39 p.m.

Picked up the car this afternoon.  It was fun driving it home and I got a ton of thumbs up from other drivers.

Made it home no problem...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/31/18 5:12 p.m.

That’s always the best way to get home. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/31/18 5:43 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I would definitely get the original turbo engine off him.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/31/18 6:48 p.m.

yes get it, it has value,

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/1/18 6:41 p.m.

So I was bored this afternoon and this happened...  it looks very European now!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/18 7:58 p.m.

Nope

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WO4iYdxaKXK9uDSoanzeRD7nAOGY2zwT9xvCbg5IsQWhJB9oer6F8BhWfr2gPAoD