singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/25/14 11:50 a.m.

So I have finally started working on my Galaxie again. As things tend to do, life got in the way. We bought a house, I have been trying to start a company (slow but moving), changed jobs twice, and got into motorcycles. Some of you might remember some of my earlier posts regarding this car:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/boosted-ford-300-for-my-galaxie/51256/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/upgrading-the-suspension-on-my-66-galaxie/50746/page1/

Nothing every happened with either of those but after driving it a bit early this year I noticed that one of the rear brake cylinders was leaking. Instead of doing the sane thing and replacing the cylinder, I decided to swap out all of the drums (there were 4!) for disks. I ordered a couple of kits (Scarebird for the front and Mustang Steve for the rear) and started collecting parts. The front kit uses standard Mustang rotors from 68-69 and S10 calipers. This isn't what I wanted but this is what I could justify spending money on right now. The rotors are only 11.5" if memory serves and the caliper is a floating single pot. It should work much better than 50 year old drums but it doesn't have that hot rod look the kids crave. The rears, however, do have said look. These are units off of a 2001 Mustang Cobra and while they are similarly sized, they will provide all the stopping power that I could ever need on the rear of the car. Lastly, I took a shot in the dark and ordered a 2003 Crown Vic master cylinder to replace the old unit. Initially, I am trying it without a booster to see how stiff it is and if the wife can use it. Uhh... I am still talking about brakes.

Anyway here are things as they are now.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/21 9:55 a.m.

Zombie threading my own build to self shame. 

I have moved  this car twice and it has been down since the first post. The brake upgrade turned into a complete suspension overhaul and I lost interest. I have little kids now and think this would be great fun to take to the car show or cruise with them. Plan is to get it moving under its own power, finish up the master cylinder and line for the disk brakes, and then maybe do some mods over the winter. The throttle body fuel injection systems are neat. Holley makes the Sniper 2300 that would match the stock intake (I think) nicely. 

Life happened and I found myself stepping away from car stuff as other things took up my time. Trying to get back to it at least a little bit. Maybe I will even hit up the 2022 Challenge. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Thinking about a project counts as progress in my book.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

you're going to want the brake booster.  discs are nice for stopping in a straight line and for managing heat, but they generate significantly less brake torque vs drums, for a given wheel diameter.  the Crown Vic or Mustang booster and master would work well on this project.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I have  a booster from an 03 Crown Vic that needs to just be fitted. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/21 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I actually crawled under it yesterday to start installing the rear pan hard bar. Need to change the oil and put some ATF or something in the cylinders before trying to start her. Also, drain the tank. It reaks of varnish.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/19/21 11:10 a.m.

Still a beauty. I hope you get it back on the road! Don't be ashamed of it sitting, my MR2 Spyder took 5 years to get to and I've enjoyed it a ton since.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/21 8:00 p.m.

Jammed the pan hard bar in, spent 30 minutes looking for a bolt that once found doesn't have a nut, vacuumed out the engine bay and knocked off some wasp nests, and lastly I pulled the plugs and put a little bit of atf in each cylinder to sit overnight. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
10/19/21 9:12 p.m.

Cool seeing another 66 on here. Interested to see where you go with this one!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/19/21 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

I have been lurking in your build on and off for years.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
10/20/21 10:06 a.m.

Woo Hoo!  Another old FoMoCo product build thread on GRM!  Love it!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/21/21 5:20 p.m.

Working on bleeding the master cylinder out before install. It is not really going as expected. The front circuit isn't flowing what the rear one is so I am letting it sit a bit. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cJyVmtrueKhBbRsiPjRDnsyO4E29hZxK14QIKWwHmUXJhROdhBM651yXIXVY0MK