1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 74
stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/3/18 11:17 a.m.

A little progress goes a long way to motivation, especially if it look like a lot has been done to others...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/3/18 1:15 p.m.

where did two months go by!?

Has Fergus gone to his new home yet?

Pete

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
4/30/18 8:35 a.m.

Bueller?......Bueller?....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/30/18 11:45 a.m.

Life has a rhythm to it. Certain projects fit well into certain rhythms. Ferdinand, the Airstream, and most of the house projects work best when things are calm enough that I'm almost bored. When I'm busy, running around, with only small snippets of time to work on things, it's hard to get started on those projects. Things like the Accord and the Subaru and the Mustang that just got dropped off work well with my brain right now. A million small fixes to fit into the million small bits of free time that I have. There is some kid stuff that has made this spring especially hectic and that's unlikely to slow down before summer. There is also some school swapping coming up as the kids finally age out of the elementary grades, and I'm hopeful that will bring things back to a better rhythm. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/18 11:57 a.m.

The lack of activity on this project is making me think (and not for the first time) that Mrs. Deuce is an amazing and patient woman.

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
4/30/18 12:57 p.m.

Nice brother.....I understand fully. Just ask my wife how the "rhythm of life" changes during hunting season.....

At least you're getting some better weather now for the outside stuff. 

We get to live vicariously through you and your cool stuff!

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
4/30/18 3:09 p.m.

Shoot, speaking of the airstream,  AFTER one-lap of course,   I still need a weight ticket for the thing to get the title re-issued.

-Hans

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
4/30/18 8:33 p.m.

You do you, Deuce. I'll just spice up the thread with some #goals 

https://youtu.be/-xJENOQPcjE

mazdeuce - Seth
5/14/18 10:37 a.m.

Time to come clean with you guys. Not about being lazy, you already know that. Not about getting in over my head, that's been obvious for a while. No, I'm going to admit that some very good things in my personal/family life finally got to where they needed to be, and maybe that's an explanation for the lazy bit. 

Firstly, Mrs. Deuce has been killing it at her new job. Not much to say about that other than the usual adjusting to new schedules and expectations and she's crushing it. 

The big one is that a week ago Deucekid#1 was accepted to college two years ahead of schedule. She's an overachiever if there ever was one (like her mother) and just under a year ago she found a program where the state of Texas allows you to skip your last two years of high school in exchange for jumping directly into an engineering undergraduate degree at 16. This is full on dorm living attending regular college classes major university stuff. She's ready, she's excited and it's happening in the fall. 

So all of that had me sitting down this fall/winter with my coffee, looking at my projects and trying to sort it all out. This was a large driver in selling the V-wagon, Fergus, and hopefully the R63 in the next little bit. The indecision of not knowing how my next year was going to work out affected my ability to focus on Ferdinand. Every time I tried to get back to it something seemed to pull me away. I NEEDED to be distracted and things like the Miata and the Subaru and the Mustang do that better than the big stupid International right now. Those projects are bite sized and can get done within the period of these life changes. Ferdinand will be around (as I now know) well after I have kids in college. No hurry. Or that's what my brain tells me. 

Now I know roughly what my coming year will be. Lots of driving back and forth 4 hours each way to school. These are 16 year old kids and the program (rightfully) sends the kids home at least once a month so that they can continue their family bonds into regular adulthood. Somehow my kid going to college means even MORE driving for me, but I'm ok with that. 

It's almost summer and I already want to flee the heat that's descending on East Texas. This is where I'm at going into my yearly break and this is why. I feel like I let a bunch of you down when I slowed to a crawl on the project but I hope you understand why that happened now, and why I waited to tell you. Next fall will be different schools for all four of my kids as they all move up and I'm hopeful that it will provide a pace that lets me work on the truck and write about it more. Life first, projects second, always. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/14/18 10:46 a.m.

Hey man, life does get in the way sometimes, but this sounds like a positive thing rather than a negative thing, like someone being sick. It’s awesome that your oldest got into college early. Tell her congrats from the Cubs bandwagoner. wink

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/14/18 10:48 a.m.

Wow! Congrats to your oldest!

Also, the weather has been lovely lately here in the Upper Midwest. laugh

Also: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/ferrari-mondial-cabriolet-1987/6575877843.html

mazdeuce - Seth
5/14/18 10:59 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid and RossD:

Thanks guys, this is HUGELY positive. She basically got a full ride scholarship to an engineering program at 16, as well as having the flexibility to apply to college like a normal kid in two years with high school transcripts that are really two years of college. The program was designed as a springboard for talented Texas kids and it has worked exactly that way since it's inception. Being accepted is one hell of a way to kickstart your college career. 

And thank god I've sworn off convertibles. laugh

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/14/18 11:14 a.m.

Congratulations to your daughter! That is awesome. But its two less years of her being in the house, enjoy your time with her now. Family is important. I am realizing how fast time is flying by with my kiddo.

The truck is not going anywhere laugh

corybrown50
corybrown50 New Reader
5/15/18 12:04 p.m.

Congrats Brother!!!

Having a daughter even into engineering would be absolutely AMAZING!!!! Having her kicking so much butt that she gets into college 2 years early, well, I'd say priceless, but I'm definitely sure there is a LARGE price tag set by someone much higher up than me. 

I can tell from personal experience heading to college early (17 not 16) is a very tough journey, and new freedoms can get you off track quickly. I'm not saying this is the case, just my experience and something I wish someone would have been there to help me with.....

Congrats again, and keep the semi-shiny side up!!!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/18 12:16 p.m.

Dude.  No apologizes or explanations needed.

Congrats that things are going well for your family.

On a personal note, this project has taught me something.  When I am unmotivated to work on a project, even though I have teh time and tools and energy to do so, I sit back and think about it (2 coffee cups = think it through).  Everytime I do this, my brain comes up with an unforseen issue or solution that I was not going to address in my initial action plan.  Once everything "clicks", I get to wrenching.

I think it has caused me to slow down on my projects a bit, BUT, I rarely have to REDO projects.

Thanks!

Rob R.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
5/15/18 2:21 p.m.

Dude, family first, always! That's nothing but good news. NMI still has snow in the shade, but it's been over 70 the last few days, so it's finally getting nice up here.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/15/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to corybrown50 :

The program she's in admits 200 kids her age each year and they have a special dorm with way more supervision than "normal" college. If anything I think they give the kids less freedom than they could handle, but we'll see what she says after her first bit of time there. She's pretty awesome though and I'm proud of her. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
5/15/18 2:29 p.m.

That is a proud moment in parenting if ever I've heard one!

Congrats to all of you- that is a big deal!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/18 8:36 a.m.

A) super congrats to you and DK#1

B) how bout you build-thread the summer residence to tide us over?  I vaguely remember a pic of some deck work or something..

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/18 9:11 a.m.

That is a complete win for your daughter! 

This can only happen if you start with a smart kid and add lots of support from mom and dad - so congrats to you, too.

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
5/17/18 5:05 p.m.

Awesome!  Remember - life doesn't get in the way of projects, but projects can get in the way of life.  Good on your for keeping things in the right order.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/17/18 5:22 p.m.

Awesome news Seth, may I ask what path is she pursuing engineering wise???

Kinda neat when life fires on all cylinders eh? 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/17/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

She's looking at the fields that combine medicine and engineering though it wouldn't surprise me if she moves further toward the medicine  side as she gets into the college thing. Engineering degrees done creatively are a pretty solid way into med school with a better than usual fallback. 

And thanks everyone, we're all excited. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/18 9:36 p.m.

Trucks are still there when you get back, but look up and your baby is 5 years older than he/she was yesterday.  The kids are the important thing, not the cars.  I let myself get outbid on a car i REALLY wanted this morning because i would much rather give the time to my kids.  Maybe we can cross paths on your summer vacation 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/18/18 9:19 a.m.

Congratulations to your daughter, you and Mrs. Deuce.  Godspeed on her journey.

The biggest "project" I've ever taken on was a happy marriage, and raising our children.   Luckily, we've been successful at both.  Our kids are grown now, living on their own, with good careers.  I'd say that was a very well done "project".  

Life is full of things to do, and accomplish, regardless of outcome.  You will persevere, I'm sure.  Just keep plugging.

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DafwrhuWtYv4UpNusQ9ILIwn9vDE2gxiegvnmfwi60Cb6h6nZmHyWLqyhJG92WpY