1 2
HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/9/17 1:36 p.m.

I have owned and daily driven a Ridgeline for quite a while... GREAT TruckUV-ish thing, but not something I liked sliding behind the wheel in. Sold that and picked up a 1968 BelAir yesterday. I always like doing the day off checks of my vehicle. Working on little maintenance things. It is always nice when the parts are actually readily available.

I don't know American iron like my buddy, so I took him with me to get the car. Both for a ride, AND to tell me not to get it if it was too rough or not sorted enough for a daily. Sometimes I get a little excited and do things I should not. 

Here it is just after getting it home. 

As soon as I got it home, the kids had to jump in and climb around.

It has a few issues, a couple rust spots, but overall is a good driver. Non-factory stuff includes stereo, speakers, 350 Chev motor, wheels, front disc brakes, tubular control arms up front, custom aluminum radiator... stuff like that. 

Things on the REAL SHORT list...

• seat belts (I live near the CA National Parts Depot and will probably just get some there today)
  • retrofit some child seat mounting brackets form a newer car (Junkyard)
  • work on getting some of the sloppy panel lines cleaned up
  • clean up and fix some of the interior issues (not that bad)
  • clean up wiring in engine bay
  • turn signals/flashers don't work (probably needs a new flasher relay thing)
  • feed fuel and enjoy

Things on the long list...

• rust repair/prevention where needed
  • manual trans
  • feed fuel and enjoy

I'm sure I'll do more little things here and there to "make it mine," but I really like the car how it is now. Another bonus, after the first night home, it didn't even piddle on the driveway... not even a little bit. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/17 2:00 p.m.

yesI approve 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/9/17 2:04 p.m.

I approve, especially in California where you can use it.

I am debating something similar.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/9/17 3:33 p.m.

Did someone take the seat belts out?  It would have had them from the factory.

Years ago I had a '68 Impala 2 door as a daily driver , they're pretty good old cars.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent Reader
9/9/17 6:22 p.m.

A V8 Crew Cab and a '68 to boot ! My favorite body style and one of my favorite years and definitely the right engine. You're really gonna enjoy that ride !

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/9/17 6:37 p.m.

Power brakes, and quick ratio steering go long ways in making it better every day. Does the jeep grand Cherokee steering box swap in on an impala like a chevelle? 

Also, clean every ground and wiring connection you find. Old chevys love to get slight corrosion that creates interesting electrical gremlins. 

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/10/17 1:23 p.m.

It already has power brakes. As a matter of fact, the first time I drove it, I accidentally stopped 20 feet short of a stop sign. I did not expect the brakes to work that well. The steering is pretty good. The electricals are sorted, I just don't like the presentation, or lack there-of. 

Yesterday was another good Craigslist find day. I picked up another 4 speed. Anyone that has read my Benz build may remember I scored a Saginaw 4 with a Hurst shifter and a Ford Toploader for 50 bucks each last year. Apparently I just have luck with the trannys (there is a joke in that somewhere).

This one was a Saginaw of unknown origin and unknown life. The guy I bought it from said he got it something like 15 years ago and it has just sat in a shed mostly. He was asking 50, I was more than happy to pay it. I only had 20's, so I asked if he had a 10er. If he said no I would have happily gave him the 60. He said no but I'll take 40. This is what I got for 40 bucks.

Before you guys ask, yeah, it came with that chengon shifter mount! If I were like most of the weirdo car guys out here in CA, my Craigslist add would read, "Vintage Hurst shifter mount for sale, 100 obo." Some people certainly hit the pipe before making up their prices. AAAAaaanyway, I opened the Saginaw up and was initially disgusted. There is this nasty goopy, rusty looking crap in there. After further investigation, the gears actually look ok. The synchros would probably better serve the trash can. Somehow someone messed up the 3 and 4 synchros WAY worse than the 1 and 2.

Here the gears look useless and really messed up/rusty, but it actually wipes right off the gears. I think most of it is from the case and ...something else... next slide please. 

I can't help it... gotta say it... This tranny just ain't got the balls to make it in the real world. I don't know where the other bearings went, but some of the other pieces that should be there were stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the case. SOMEHOW someone blew up the bearing and lost some balls. At least I found the really odd click noise from the trans on a slow turn, hahaha. It was the bearings coming up over the top and falling around the race to the other bearings. Oh, and this came with the trans too. 

Yup, another Hurst shifter. This one needs to be taken apart and cleaned, already did that with my last one. This one is a newer version than my other one. That or someone drilled and bolted the shift lever in there. I'm fairly certain I will need to mount the shifter further back on the trans and get/make a different lever. My buddy has a bell housing for me. At this rate it won't be long before I can do the manual swap.

For seat belts, I went to National Parts Depot and bought some belts. Went to put them in and I was missing two bolts for the belts in the front. I installed the rears and actually took the best of the old belts and put it in the middle of the rear (no one will likely ever use it, but it is there). The kids' car seats fit well with just the lap belts.

Remington hung out with me for the entire time I worked on the belts. First climbing around the front seat, then immediately to the back once the seats were in. Kid approved...

So, this morning I took the kids out to breakfast with my grandparents. Car runs very nice, she roared up on the cold start better than my Ridgeline did, and certainly sounds better. They enjoyed the car, both my grandfather and my kids. My 3 year-old figured out the crank lowered and raised the window. He was SUPER excited when he made it work. After breakfast, back to NPD I went and bought two brandy new seat belt anchor bolts. The guys at NPD are always really helpful and quick. They also gave my kids a poster of their chosing. The kiddos picked the Camaro. Back home and now it has front and rear lap belts.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/10/17 1:37 p.m.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
9/10/17 2:08 p.m.

Nice score! That's a rad daily driver, way more fun than a Ridgeline. It's pretty awesome having a daily driver that you can also take to a car show.

If I had that, I would be soooo tempted to put in a 454 big block and stroke it to something like a 496.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/21/17 5:40 p.m.

My car buddy tells me every time he comes over it is time to put a big block in it. I have to tell him, "Dude, I drive this thing to work and fuel is too MFing expensive." Trust me, in CA it is I think we are at $3.13 a gal for 87. The man has 3 old school Chevys, if anyone should be big blocking one, it should be him. 

Anyway, I have a cool cruise story and some work done.

On to the story, I was driving my kids to daycare the other day (I know, not really a cruise, but in this car, every time I drive it is a cruise) and I saw an older gentleman on the side of the road with a flat. He was all ready for 18 holes and seemed to be having trouble getting the spare out from under the car. I pulled over and changed the tire for him. He was a really nice guy and wanted to pay me afterwards. I told him no way, and it was no big deal. He looks at my kids in the back of the BelAir, they were real good while I changed the tire out, and tells me to take the kids out on him. 

I couldn't say no to that. I ended up taking the kids out for some chow and ice cream after I picked them up from daycare. A lot of fun. The BelAir is a good ice cream eating platform.

The work is much less exciting, I went to the local scrap yard and pulled the kiddo seat mounting points out of a 2010ish Impala (kinda funny it came from a new version of the car) and then found some good looking top ones in some craptacular Saturn. I had to cut a center section out of the mounting bracket to get it to fit nicely. After A LOT of cussing and head bumping and squeezing bolts in areas they frankly should not have fit, I had this. There is a spacer behind the bolt on the right, it is made from some tubing.

You can also see I did some refreshing on the pass side seat divot. I also freshened up the seat springs to hopefully stop this from going much further, the floorboard is actually solid as it gets, just some surface rust. Most of what you can see is actually rust flakes from the seat springs.

I the popped in the top one fairly easily.

Here is the pass side, all done.

It looks crooked, but it is not, I promise. As odd as it is, I am actually excited about this. It makes it SO much easier to mount and take out the seats.

I still have to do the driver side for the other kiddo seat. Fun fact, I will actually have spots for 3 seats when this is done. Though it won't be MY 3rd kid sitting there. Two is PLENTY!

I also cleaned out the trunk and found some good stuff. A SBC shop manual of some kind, an '80s Chilton manual for the '68 full size Chevy's, a car cover, and a motorcycle cover... I guess it is a sign, I should get a motorcycle again. I can't let a perfectly good motorcycle cover go to waste. I used to have a 2006 CBR 600RR, LOVED that thing. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/21/17 6:09 p.m.

I love it!

My folks ALMOST bought a '68 Impala late in '69.

Us kids wanted it BAD!

Dad bought a new '70 Chevelle instead. 2 door, 350, 3 on the tree. Obviously, a few years later, I was glad he got the Chevelle. Might have something to do with my lifelong love of Chevelles.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
9/21/17 6:18 p.m.

I guess putting in a big block makes more sense to me since I live in Arizona, where gas is $2.29 a gallon for regular. My daily driver 540it gets like 16mpg on average haha

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/21/17 7:24 p.m.

Nice!

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/29/17 8:58 p.m.

I put a little work into the car the other day. It developed a leak from the rear of the oil pressure gauge. As much as I loved having oil dripping on my pant leg, I figured I'd fix that and a few other things.

First, the problem was just the line as I am sure most of you automatically thought. Also, the middle gauge on my pod of 3 did not light up and some wiring on the inside of the engine bay was gross and just hanging on the throttle linkage and the steering column. As much as I love living life in the danger zone, I don't think I want my igniter and distributor wiring hanging out on moving parts. A clump of wiring and gauge stuff also made an unnecessary trip to the driver's side clutch pedal hole. 

Then, I found there was a pretty nice looking hole with a grommet RIGHT where I would have drilled a hole if I were going to put one in myself. Only problem was this dum-dum vacuum canister had a line going inside through the grommet. Well, the vac source line was not hooked up to anything. I figured I wouldn't miss it if I never had it, so it is gone. If anyone knows what this was supposed to be for, I'd like to know!

Fixed it all up. Looks good. No more worries about linkage or steering pulling the power line from the ignition coil.

Before:

After:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/29/17 9:03 p.m.

Usually the vacuum canister was for extra vacuum to operate the flappers in the ac box.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/30/17 6:58 a.m.

Fun!  I've got a '60s 4 door family cruiser too (albeit slightly smaller).  Our '65 Skylark is ready for a little attention to a few details, but it sure is fun to just hop in with the family and cruise.  

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
12/31/17 8:19 p.m.

Whelp, this last couple months has been a MESS. I had a work incident where I lost some significant hearing and got tinnitus real bad, got a terrible case of pneumonia, then my back went out due to coughing with pneumonia... oh yeah, then most of Ventura County lit on fire. Over that time, I got a tiny bit of stuff done on the BelAir.

I took a day , drank some whiskey and lowered the front end. The front was about 1.5 to 2 inches too high. I cut off a coil and it is now exactly where I want it. The top picture is lowered, the bottom is one of the only photos I have that show the height of the front end. It is from the PO's craigslist ad. I did not think it would make that big of a difference while driving, but I can actually tell the rake is different. P.S. The Nova in the back is my friend's.

As I mentioned above, I bought a 4-speed Saginaw for this beast. However, the trans sat in the last owner's shed for 15 YEARS! It was a little nasty inside (I guess on the outside too). Well, I have almost finished the rebuild. It has been pretty interesting considering I have never rebuilt a trans before, though I did have some help. Being a Saginaw 4-speed, the teardown was pretty straightforward.

The help:

This kiddo LOVES to be around when I am working on the cars. After getting all the guts out, I painted the case parts.

This is the only picture I took during the actual rebuild. My hands were just messy with grease and oil. I took this one because it is pretty much the only way I could think of to keep the roller bearings in place while I assembled things. I bought a rebuild kit for the trans for something like 65 bucks. It included all seals, bearings, and synchros. I bought a new countershaft shaft because there was some scarring on the shaft and a new one was 13 bucks. I probably could have re-used it, but for $13, why?

Here is where I am at now. I have not started the side cover yet. I still have to pull out the shift forks and associated shafts and clean it all up.

I have THISSSSS for when the trans is done. I have everything I need but the trans breather (yeah, yeah, it is like 3 bucks at NPD, but I have not had the time to pick one up), and I need to figure out the driveshaft. I don't know what, if any, difference there is in the length of the driveshaft from the Powerglide to the Saginaw. I have the part that slips into the output end of the trans, I just need to get it all figured out. I got the Speedway Motors hydraulic T/O bearing, so that will be new to me to set up.

As I said, fire... there was a MASSIVE fire in Ventura County, I ended up working a ton because of the fire, a lot of people did. I got very lucky I did not lose my house. My grandmother did, so did a lot of people. One firefighter lost his life fighting it, one person crashed their car trying to outrun the fire when they stayed in their house too long. With the things I saw from this fire, I am amazed more people did not lose their life. At one point, the winds were so bad the fire was moving faster than 1 acre per second. In this picture, my house is right at the foot of the mountain that is the big glowing blob here. My house is literally almost in the center of this picture.

Luckily, my house dodged the fire. This is three days later. Still burning, still lots of smoke.

The fire is actually still burning. At one point there were more than 6,500 firefighters from all over the country in the county working on saving homes. They did not start actually trying to put the fire out for a week and a half or so. 

Once the fire let up and I could travel out of the county, I got myself a treat. The 29th was my birthday, so it was fitting this happened Friday. Remember the motorcycle cover from the back of the BelAir? I figured I'd put it to use. I have been wanting one of these since they came to the US 7 years ago. This is a good 200 cc's more than anything I have ever ridden, but very controllable and predictable. This is just before my ride home.

It is a 2010 KTM RC8 R, this thing really moves. I think it is solidly into the STUPID fast category. This one is not quite factory fresh, but it is in great condition and has just under 8,000 miles. I got lucky and almost immediately located the bike when I started looking, the exact year bike I wanted. The R trim came out in 2009. I keep seeing conflicting versions of this, but I have heard it never came to the USA in 2009. The R trim changed in 2011 and got a somewhat redesigned motor and a few other things to make it more "streetable." Things I would rather not have, like a heavier flywheel and a less aggressive suspension. Though this one has been modified a bit, I don't think it is THAT much more fast than a stock one. It does throw some sweet fireballs when you throttle back after a good acceleration period. I'll try and figure out how to get it on video, but my GoPro suction mount is not overly fond of sticking to the matte bodywork that has 0 flat areas.

The funny part, it does not fit under the cover. So the cover went in the trash. HAHA, oh well, it was a good excuse to buy the motorcycle. She sleeps in the garage anyway. This next week I'll be moving. I'm hoping the new living situation will be a bit more conducive to car work. The new roommate is a buddy of mine, between us we have three cars from the 1960s and two cars from the 1970s. Should be some fun!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/17 9:52 p.m.

How sturdy are the LATCH mounts in the old car?  Did the impala ones just unbolt at the junkyard?  Have considered adding them to the chevelle on one side.  

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
12/31/17 10:27 p.m.

It is as study as it gets. I used 2.5~3 inch washers under the body. It is way more study than using the lap belts only.

The impala I took these out of unbolted. Some cars they are welded in and others it is part of the rear seat assembly. I just checked a bunch of cars until I found one I liked.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
1/1/18 4:24 p.m.

this is awesome, i'll be watching this.  Good thing you missed the fire, that looks frightening 

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
2/8/18 6:06 p.m.

I had to take this behemoth to LA the other day. I went in a parking lot that ONLY had compact spots, LA can get pretty pretentious. I hate going there. My car totally fit... Totally. Any Archer fans here, got my new plate the other day.

I was out there to get a cast off and have my hand checked. A month and a half ago I hurt my hand when I hit it on a dryer vent. Cut my hand good and hit part of the tendon. Now I am hand therapying it up.

I'm hoping I can have the hand strength and dexterity to work on cars two handed soon.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/18 6:15 p.m.

In reply to HunterBenz :

Squeeze those balls!  And roll 'em around a bit too!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/18 6:22 p.m.

And after some serious PT, you can work your way up to blue balls.

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
2/9/18 2:04 p.m.

I love this thing. I spent a lot of my teenage years rolling around in dad's '68 Impala 427 convertible. 

kneebone
kneebone New Reader
2/9/18 5:02 p.m.

fantastic daily driver, well done.

Everything is repairable without a computer, parts are everywhere and your kids will have fond memories.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tipqp1NLLylo5KkCpgpykmELi9tHHCiQ9KFwNw9JLNa5ZNmjd54FhKG8457OqnZc