1 2 3
lrrs
lrrs Reader
12/22/17 2:57 p.m.

Re-base line the carb adjustments now that it runs and give it another go.  Then do hook up the timing light to dial in the timing to factory spec.  

Rock on, it's great to see another sleeping project come to life again. 

klipless
klipless Reader
12/22/17 4:53 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yup, I just snugged it so it wouldn't vibrate all around. After I found a position that worked I put an extra 1/8 of a turn in or so to tighten it.

In reply to Irrs:

Any good resources on dialing in a carb? Right now it's 30 *F out, and the car it self is a ways from being road worthy. I needs the brakes gone through as well as the fuel system and steering. I noticed a few ball joints need to be replaced (or at least their boots). SWMBO requests a spot in the garage this winter, so I'm going to have it flat-bedd'd to a stoarage location next week. I'll pick it up again mid-March.  Happy wife, happy life. Plus, I'll be spending most of my time out in Arizona this winter for work.

klipless
klipless Reader
12/22/17 10:25 p.m.

Another video of it running. The rattling scared the crap out of me until I figured out that it was the valve covers that weren't bolted down. I was so used keeping my left foot on the clutch and my right hand twisting the ignition that I forgot about them when it started. I'm sure I didn't do the starter or the throwout bearing any favors.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/20 12:45 p.m.

If you're still around, I'd like to get my oil pump primer back.  I have a use for it.

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/9/20 8:22 a.m.

Your memory is enviable.  I have several empty slots for tools that I cannot recall for the life of me who I loaned them to. And I swear they were occupied a week ago!

i think the parts stores have the priming tool in their loaner program if that helps. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
5/9/20 9:12 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

If you're still around, I'd like to get my oil pump primer back.  I have a use for it.

He's around and a (forum supporter) also,  so recently active.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/9/20 9:58 a.m.

This is why I don't loan tools to anyone.  Happy help you use them in my driveway, but they stay here, with me.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/20 10:02 a.m.

I'm sorry I missed this thread. Similar story with a friend of mine and his 68 SS 396 convertible. 

He first saw his car when he was 16, was about 60 when he finally got to buy it last summer.

It had sat for about 30 years with the heads off of the 427 it had in it, so it got a full rebuild. Modernized it with some AFR heads, and a custom solid roller cam. 

I've ridden in it. It's a monster. I'm going to do a full thread on it after he gets it sorted.

In reply to docwyte :

Not mad about it, just looking to get it back. Still. Another 16 months since last request. LOL.

also, I like this thread on page 1. Maybe Klipless will be checking in since Woodward is just around the corner.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dyax8Qvz1P8UvDovPkiKVFFjaMDlOMgModeHaYiBAECEHzkQ1ZhCjl8auiFz7k9r