Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:12 p.m.

Hey guys here is my 68 Charger build! Tons of work has gone in to this 1968 charger stock car build so far.  There is still a ton of work to do! The car started out as a perimeter pavement oval track car with a 12in shorter wheel base which I extended right down the center to allow more room and to match the factory 1968 charger wheel base. The motor is a mopar 383 big block backed by a 727 built transmission and a winters quick change rear end. A lot of body modifications had to be made to fit on the chassis but keep in mind the car I started with was extremely rusty and 80-90% of that need to be cut out anyway. In the future I plan on adding vintage style race numbers, windshield and back glass, finish the fire wall, and a lot more to make it actually "street Legal" and drivable. Stay tuned for more updated on the Heavy Metal build! let me know if you guys have any questions about the build!

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
Floyds_Mayhem_Garage New Reader
11/12/21 3:13 p.m.

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:14 p.m.

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:16 p.m.

Here is a video walk-around of the build!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 3:18 p.m.

That's hawt!

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
11/12/21 3:29 p.m.

Awesome!  I had a 68 charger (stock) as my daily driver in the 80's.  Wish I still had it. 

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:30 p.m.

Heres how it started

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:30 p.m.

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:31 p.m.

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:32 p.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

Best car and year! what color?

mjlogan
mjlogan New Reader
11/12/21 3:47 p.m.

Can't decide what I like more the charger or the crew cab power wagon!

What did you have to do to the chassis to make it turn right?

Floyds_Mayhem_Garage
11/12/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to mjlogan :

nothing to the chassis since its actually built square compared to some of the dirt oval track cars that are actually build offset for turning left only. The suspension is extremely adjustable and was able to straighten out the camber and alignment fairly well. one issue I still need to address is they have different spring rates from left to right in the front but that is easy enough being a coil over style suspension.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/12/21 5:45 p.m.

Very nice!  The Roadkill guys could learn a thing or two from you.  smiley

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
11/12/21 6:05 p.m.

That is crazy cool!!!!  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/12/21 6:17 p.m.

I am feeling it this is an awesome looking build. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
11/12/21 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Floyds_Mayhem_Garage :

It started as a basket case. The dented body was green.  It had a ripped black vinyl roof.  The 383 was junk and the trans was too.

I was working on it as time and funds allowed.  I tore the engine down and had machine work done.  I had the trans rebuilt.  I stripped the interior and was working on the body.(I lived in Phoenix, AZ so, the car was rust free). 

On a Saturday night my primary driver (Plymouth Fury) was totaled in a hit and run accident.  It had been parked on the street.  My girlfriend lived in Fresno, CA and wanted me to go there the next weekend to meet family.  I had airplane tickets but the airline was on strike.

I worked every night until early in the morning for that week putting the car back together.  I fired it up Friday morning and dropped it off for an alignment and tires.  I picked up the car after work and drove non stop to Fresno.  We went to a football game that night.  The next morning my girl friend broke up with me.  It could have been me.It could have been the state of the car. :). I never knew.  :)

I drove home Sunday and went to work Monday.  I continued to work on the car.  I had the top replaced and I painted it white.  The day it was painted it got hit in the drivers door.  Had to redo that.

I drove the car for 4-5 years with out any issue.  

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/21 7:52 p.m.

Build thread anywhere?

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
11/13/21 4:05 p.m.

This is so 'wrong' it's way 'right' OHY!!!

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/21 5:27 p.m.

Well damn that thing is cool!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/13/21 8:40 p.m.
twentyover said:

Build thread anywhere?

Just check out his other videos on the car, they document its build.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
11/14/21 9:56 p.m.

My goodness. Full sized charger is on the dream car list for me. I wish rusted out examples weren't 20k. 

your build looks nasty, carry on good sir

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BQ11dDMroYtLxidXyv0IOvRW43r1ItbiLRbAsm69lFrOU5LzRs5cjef4ltuusb6K