1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
damarble
damarble Reader
7/15/21 10:39 p.m.

And that's one way to fit an EB alternator. Just tacked right now.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/21 1:59 a.m.

Looks great

onsight512
onsight512 New Reader
7/16/21 1:19 p.m.

I can't wait to see how this all plays out. That'll be a great swap.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/16/21 9:12 p.m.

The unholy marriage of Miata and Mustang.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 10:10 p.m.

Unholy?  More like, keep it in the family.

Better a Miata transmission than whatever truck transmission is used in a Mustang.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/17/21 12:35 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Unholy?  More like, keep it in the family.

Better a Miata transmission than whatever truck transmission is used in a Mustang.

It sounds better that way I guess. The Mustang would have had the infamous MT82, which is not too loved.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/18/21 3:28 p.m.

As most of you probably know, Miatas don't use a traditional transmission mount. Pictured is an ND trans with power plant frame, but it's functionally the same as my NC trans. My thought right now is to replicate the front of the PPF, but have it terminate into a poly bushing instead of reaching back to the live axle, which would be a hilarious fail. Any better ideas?   

damarble
damarble Reader
7/18/21 6:10 p.m.

Oh yeah, the hood closes.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/18/21 7:01 p.m.

I did the other end of the ppf in my engine swap miata. Used a chunk of factory ppf, and a rear sway bar endliink from a suburban. 

Good enough of 1.8 60ft times. 

Cant imagine it would be different at the trans end. 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/18/21 8:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I did the other end of the ppf in my engine swap miata. Used a chunk of factory ppf, and a rear sway bar endliink from a suburban. 

Good enough of 1.8 60ft times. 

Cant imagine it would be different at the trans end. 

Sounds like the way to go.

Shifter placement. Not bad. I did end up having everything offset 1/2" to the passenger side, it just fit better.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/19/21 9:21 p.m.

Eww, rust. Looks like my firewall reconstruction project overflowed into a cowl reconstruction as well. Had a nice fat mouse nest over the hole.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 7:31 a.m.

And the scope creepeth...waiting for this thread to devolve into a sheetmetal patching adventure :) 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/20/21 10:16 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

And the scope creepeth...waiting for this thread to devolve into a sheetmetal patching adventure :) 

It gets us all.

I have to fight it as much as possible. I only want to do enough sheet metal to keep my feet dry. Trying to save all body work for a second phase after it's mechanically sound and drivable. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 10:55 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

That's what I told myself a year ago. I finished painting in January lol

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
7/20/21 11:01 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

At this point I am covering holes with rtv and sheet metal to avoid the sheet metal rabbit hole. Best of luck!

damarble
damarble Reader
7/20/21 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

That is a fantastic idea! 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/21/21 10:42 a.m.

Dropped a little coin on a radiator and intercooler. The Del Sol is a favorite of Datsun owners and is known to fit pretty well. I went with the 3 row. 

It will be mounted slightly different than they do since I have to cram this IC in there, and probably leaned back a little. With a 18x12x3.5 core it should be slightly more effective than the stock mustang core of 20x6x5. Luckily I have a ton of length in front of the engine. It's just not very tall or wide. 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/22/21 7:39 p.m.

Here's my solution for converting the Miata trans to a traditional mount. I used an Anchor 2268 I had laying around, which goes for like $7

damarble
damarble Reader
7/23/21 5:51 p.m.

Installed some 2.3 prototype mounts from my buddy. 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/23/21 6:27 p.m.

My brake work was spot on this time, it fits perfectly. Yes, those are super duty lug nuts, it's all I had around in that thread. And speed holes because race car. Except it's really not. But maybe some day. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/21 8:43 a.m.

Nice progress.  I like your trans mount better than the one I put together.  Mine is a bit of a fiddly mess.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/24/21 3:35 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I basically bent a Z shape and trimmed it up a bit. I was thinking of just chopping up a PPF but this was cheap and easy.

Tacking in tabs today. I think I found a name for this old girl in this picture.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/25/21 2:50 p.m.

I'm very pleased with how that worked out. Tucked up high so the exhaust can pass under it, instead of through it like stock.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/21 10:01 a.m.

You're wasting no time with this now. Love it.

damarble
damarble Reader
7/26/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Something to keep my mind occupied while I wait through delay after delay on my Bronco. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JcU7582GT0MJxTFQm4qIhrTGTa8l75BnZML60jz0v1wDAP0vUrgwkvIn5qp9cuop