1 ... 16 17 18
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/18 7:16 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

No problem,  I have a tendency to do the same thing!  I’ll double check everything.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
6/1/18 9:27 p.m.

Its not a terrible option. Those D52 pads and calipers are about as cheap as they come, and available everywhere. 

The Kingswood Estate wagons used them. They're only... adequate... for that kind of weight, but still worlds better than the drums I'm sure. 

Seth, you're transparent. Cars and kids, we all wish we had done things differently. You're a dad watching his little girl leave on her honeymoon, hoping you did things right, but right or wrong she'll still be your little girl. So think fondly and watch her soar.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/8/18 6:26 p.m.
Crackers said:

Its not a terrible option. Those D52 pads and calipers are about as cheap as they come, and available everywhere. 

The Kingswood Estate wagons used them. They're only... adequate... for that kind of weight, but still worlds better than the drums I'm sure. 

Yeah,  I’ll admit I wasn’t looking for ‘best’,  just ‘better’.  I did get the cut down hubs back from the machine shop today,  so time to get back on it!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
6/8/18 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

As I like to say, Better is Better.

A step out of the stone age for sure!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
1/16/19 2:10 p.m.

Jonesin' for a Fergus fix.

I've gone from Reader to Half Dork since the last update!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/7/19 9:57 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Glad to hear you got home ok.

Here's some links with info on the 3+OD Ford transmissions. Opinions vary on their usefulness:

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-3-spd-od-toploader-manual-transmissions.9688/

The one I had is definitely the OD in the first link. I recognize the offset bolt pattern on the tail shaft for the shifter.

I’ve pretty much decided this is the route I’m taking.  I realize I can’t keep the column shift,  but I’m growing weary of column shift cars anyway.  If I convert it I will keep all the parts just in case someone else ever wants to swap it back. I found this one on eBay,  and it’s pricey,  so if any of you guys know of one floating around cheaper let me know.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Toploader-3-Speed-Overdrive-3-25-1st-Gear-W-78-OD-Ratio-10-28-Spline/183673972047?hash=item2ac3d2654f:g:rsQAAOSwA05cW7XG

Sorry for the lack of updates,  but Fergus is about to head to the body shop for some frame repair,  then because I’m generally a “while you’re in there” kind of guy,  I might go ahead and have the lower quarters repaired.  The good news is he is stopping on his own now,  but the gearing and sloppy column shift is pushing me to do something different.  I did buy new bushings for the column shift in the meantime,  but I think ultimately I need an OD trans.  I’ll try and get some new pics up soon.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/8/19 5:29 a.m.

A buddy and I were just talking about Fergus while driving around yesterday. It makes me exceptionally happy that Cotton picked this up. I have a very short list of cars that I want to visit someday, and this one is at the top.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/8/19 6:15 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

That looks like a good deal.  Part of me wonders why the column shifter wouldn't work with that transmission, assuming it's essentially the same linkage with an added gear?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/8/19 7:00 a.m.

I think the 3.03 we used in the challenge car only had two levers. The overdrive unit has three more like a four speed than a three speed. There for the linkage probably wouldn't work from the column.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/8/19 9:20 a.m.

For what its worth, Im a big supporter of keeping the 3 speed column shifts alive.  There just are not that many left.  Rebuilding the column in The Candy Van made all the difference in the world.  It actually has a firm gate pattern! Did you buy any of the internal parts or just the rod bushings at the bottom of the column?  If the shift collar is sloppy it can really give that "stick in Jello" feel.  

With the 2.70 rear gears the 65-70 cruising in my van is pretty good.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/8/19 9:25 a.m.

It's not just rear end gearing. First gear is long as it sits and it feels like the valves are starting to float over about 62 in third. You could change the rear end but I think Cotton would end up hating first then. I did love the column shift when I had it, but that very much made it a local cruising only car. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/8/19 8:34 p.m.

Seth is right.  First gear is long and 3rd is done way too quick.  Ideally I’ll be able to get a trans with a shorter first gear,  plus an OD.   If I have to convert to floor shift to get it,  so be it,  but it will be way more drivable and I really want to put some miles on this thing.  Would love to see the looks it would get in the parking garage at work.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/8/19 10:32 p.m.

There are lots of column shift 3 speed cars with Borg Warner overdrives that work on second and third gears. Not super common on Ford, but a cousin of mine had a 61 2 door Galaxie set up that way from the factory. This was over 50 years ago, so I don't remember more detail, but it did the "auto down shift" like a '49 Studebaker that I drove recently.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/9/19 12:06 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I had a c4 vette with the 4+3 trans that operated like that.  It had overdrive in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and would kick down like an automatic.  It was actually a pretty fun setup.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/1/20 4:41 p.m.

Time for an update.  Fergus is now on the lift at my buddies shop while we have form a plan of attack for the frame rust.  The front rails are rough and just have to be addressed,  but as you can see from the pics below the rest of the underside is in really good shape.  While we're at it we plan to run new fuel lines.

I also pulled the column and took it to a local column repair shop.  It turns out the majority of the sloppiness in the shifting is due to the column.  The bearings were just gone.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/1/20 5:15 p.m.

Good to see Fergus is still in process! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/20 2:12 p.m.

Love the thread.

I wonder if you could adapt a cable mechanism to a more modern transmission instead of the 3-speed?

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/15/20 9:08 p.m.

So,  we have not been able to find a replacement shift collar for the column.  I've called all the ford places I can think of,  eBay, etc and no dice.  Looks like I may need to convert to a floor shift to get this project moving again.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/20 9:43 p.m.
Cotton said:

So,  we have not been able to find a replacement shift collar for the column.  I've called all the ford places I can think of,  eBay, etc and no dice.  Looks like I may need to convert to a floor shift to get this project moving again.

Does your collar look like either of these?  Mine was the right one and I was able to make the left one work.  The left one is easy to find.  More details here

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/15/20 10:35 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

I'll double check this week.  I need to swing by the shop and get some pictures.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/20 10:40 p.m.

Also, 3D printing may work? Or you may be able to cast something or get it rapid prototype in nylon?

1 ... 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2e05jC2WUX1euTi6mmSdz3CvPzbc3CdtMTiF89f28WO27wVRGD6ZChPtCdZ9HXoG