Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/24/17 8:57 p.m.

I've never done a build log but I figure it's a decent way to keep myself motivated.

So I went ahead and picked up a 2003 1.8T 5spd VW Passat donor for my Europa. Tonight the project officially kicked off. The old Toyota 4AGE and Renault Gearbox came out .  The pictures below are sorta before and after except I didn't think to take a picture until after the exhaust and cooling lines had been removed.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/24/17 10:12 p.m.

You can count on me waiting for updates.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/17 10:21 p.m.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Any notion of relative weights and dimensions of the new/old? Did I miss that in another thread? I think I remember you asking around about Passat bits...

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/25/17 7:33 a.m.

I'm in for the build thread!

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/25/17 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Sorry I'm new to the whole build thread thing. I usually just work away without taking photos or telling people what my plans are.  I'll post the total weight of the original drivetrain vs the new. I'll also post some measurements. Stay tuned.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/25/17 9:24 a.m.

Does the Passat you bought have the 012 transmission? What three letter name does it have (ie DVZ or FRR)

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/25/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

Ross. I know it's a 012 tranny but I haven't removed it yet. I'm new to the VAG world. What's the difference between the two?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/25/17 10:04 a.m.

I have no idea either, but I'm piling through both numbers and letter designations and I'm trying to wrap my head around it. lol.

I want to keep the Renault bits but I'm being tempted by relatively cheap transaxles that afford me more gears for better ratios, CV joints, higher strength, parts availability....

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/17 12:18 p.m.
Wayslow said:

In reply to Ransom :

Sorry I'm new to the whole build thread thing. I usually just work away without taking photos or telling people what my plans are.  I'll post the total weight of the original drivetrain vs the new. I'll also post some measurements. Stay tuned.

Just curious! I'm happy to follow along, whatever you decide to post or not post.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
11/9/17 10:04 p.m.

Donor drivetrain came out of the 2003 Passat fairly easily. I still haven't decided if I'm going with the stock ECU or Megasquirt. I'm kinda leaning toward the Megasquirt just because I've always wanted to play around with one.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
11/9/17 10:08 p.m.

I split the transaxle from the engine tonight, mounted the engine on a stand and started taking it apart. Not sure how far the teardown is going to go. New timing belt kit is on order. 

I also discovered that I've somehow ended up with four engine stands. I only remember buying two of them. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
11/9/17 10:11 p.m.

Had the last of my New Glarus beers that RossD gave me as a thank you for giving him some rusty old Renault parts. For some reason he thought I was doing him a favour.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/10/17 7:11 a.m.

Besides the trophies.....is that a Dwarf car thingy against the back wall??? For some reason i can't seem to get enough of this Europa madness......party on garth   wink

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/10/17 7:33 a.m.

There's not much better than a beer in the garage. laugh

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
11/30/17 7:02 p.m.

I really suck at this whole build thread thing. So since my last update I've replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. Pulled the pan and checked the bottom end. Scoped the cylinders but didn't pull the head. Put everything back together. Dropped the whole assembly into the chassis and fabricated the mounts.

Still a long way to go but making slow progress. The old 4AGE/Renault gearbox combo came in at 370lbs including intake manifold, exhaust header, starter and alternator. The VW 1.8T and transaxle came in at 410lbs including the turbo. Not bad really. The bottom end of the VW is wider so it had to sit a bit higher in the chassis. Trunk lid still clears with an inch or so to spare.

I started going down the road of really cleaning up the engine and doing a full rebuild on it but these things are a dime a dozen around here. I may pick up a spare and build it up but I want to get this one running and driving before our test and tune on Easter weekend.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
11/30/17 9:26 p.m.

Looking good!  I'm excited to see that I'm not the only one with the same bad idea!  My build is a bit behind yours, but let's talk details! and sorry for the 20 questions :) 

• What are you thinking for a shifter?  
  • Alternator: Are you going to need to notch the frame for the serp belt routing?  I think I figured out a way and use the stock alt mount without a frame notch - I'll update my build log this weekend to show how I hacked away at the stock alternator mount to make it fit. .
  • What are you thinking for axles?
  • Does the turbo fit?  Mine looks like it's going to clash with the chassis, but then again, I haven't tried fitting the body - I guess I should do that prior to building mounts.
  • What are you doing for EFI?  Throttle by wire?

I'm glad to see that it fits under the hood.  Do you think the intake manifold will work as is, or will you need to convert it to move the throttlebody to the rear face, a la the Audi TT?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/17 9:38 p.m.

There was a guy who lived down the street from me in the late 80's who had the most heavily modified Europa that I've ever seen. I can't even remember if it started life as an S2 or a Twin Cam, but I do remember that it had a GM V6 turbo. This pre-dates the Grand National and the supercharged 3.8s, but in retrospect, it seems like a pretty smart choice for the time, given the size and shape of the engine compartment.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
12/1/17 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

I likely have more questions than answers but I'll do my best.

1) I already had a cable shifter arrangement on my car so I just have to modify it to work on the VW transaxle. The fore aft throws on the VW is 2" the Renault unit was only 3/4" so I need more cable throw. This is on my list to correct.

2) I removed the entire alternator mount casting from the block and intend to use the alternator I was running before. This was a 40A unit from a John Deere Gator.

3) My plan is to use the original axle at the hub and weld the VW inner section to it. Basically make a hybrid of the two.  This way I can retain the original rear trailing arm suspension and that bit of Lotusiness. I'm adding an additional link off the rear hub carrier to the transaxle. I've just started mocking this up to see how the suspension geometry works out. I may have to abandon this plan and redo the rear suspension but we'll see. I also don't want to add width or flares to my car. I've been running 185/60-13 tires on Revolution rims and everything works and it still looks like the original. Each to their own on this one though.

4) The turbo is clears the passenger side frame because I set the engine a bit higher than I'd like. The feed from the turbo just passes by the outside of the frame rail.

5) Megasquirt and an earlier cable driven throttle body. There really isn't enough room in the footwell to install the pedal assembly for the throttle by wire and there isn't a simple aftermarket way of controlling it.

6) I think the Passat intake manifold will work but it's going to take some imaginative plumbing.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
12/1/17 10:20 a.m.

Wayslow,

In regards to the axles/hub, have a look here:

VW Bearings in Lotus Hub

More VW/Lotus Stuff

It might help with adapting the axles.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/19/19 2:37 p.m.

It's been a while since we've heard from you, how's the project coming?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yH1NqNXeogQhFkPYHqcJXMuALI1B5QL729PwfgoNhPy6hxyZCtJ1aTXcoLZLx2J2