1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/29/15 10:07 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Let me know if I'm misunderstanding this. To reverse, you put the trans in neutral then hit a separate starter button, which directly turns the driveshaft the opposite way?

Close. There is no transmission, only a clutch. You depress and hold the clutch then hit the separate starter button which reverses the truck.

It is not the ideal situation for a reverse, but should work fine. I have been driving my Hayabusa reverse trike for two years now without a reverse gear and it is fairly easy to get used to. You quickly learn to use pull thru parking spots and use ground slopes to back up. Only real problem is nose in parking, so this system should solve that problem.

My Projects

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/29/15 4:51 p.m.

Electric Reverse is done!

YouTube link:

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/31/15 3:58 p.m.

Todays Progress

Still need to fill the radiator, make up a throttle cable bracket and secure some wiring before I can take it out for a spin

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/2/15 5:04 p.m.

Started the Crate engine for the first time! Unfortunately, the pre-installed thermostat never opened, so I swapped it out for a Milodon unit and it runs 180-190 degrees. Road test soon.

Video clip here!

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/3/15 7:44 a.m.

This is nuts... I love it!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/7/15 5:46 a.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/16/16 4:11 p.m.

Modified the bed with a mounting lip around the opening for the engine. In the next day or two I will spray some bed liner on the underside of the bed and re-install. From that point I can build a treadplate box over the engine to mimic a tool box and mount to the new lip. Maybe a ladder rack also to complete the sleeper facade!

My Builds

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/16/16 4:30 p.m.

There is no way in hell, in ANY universe, that this thing could be considered anything resembling a sleeper.

Well, maybe if you were an alien tripping on acid that had never seen a Volkswagen. Then he might think sleeper.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/17/16 3:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: There is no way in hell, in ANY universe, that this thing could be considered anything resembling a sleeper. Well, maybe if you were an alien tripping on acid that had never seen a Volkswagen. Then he might think sleeper.

I agree! I think that I have tripped you up a bit. I have two projects going at once on Grassroots. The VW Street Rod Truck and this one, the 400 hp Daihatsu Hijet Kei Truck

The Build Videos are here:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/17/16 4:18 p.m.

Yup. I was thinking of the vw. But the statement is true of both.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/17/16 8:11 p.m.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/18/16 6:44 p.m.

The original square headlights are no longer available. I have been using these rectangular (ugly) street rod lights so far but am now grafting in some round vw lights.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/16 9:23 a.m.

I kinda like the square ones better. There should be something in the JY from the 80's that would work there.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/20/16 5:42 p.m.

Bed is back on with the new toolbox/engine cover mounting lip in place.

My Builds

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/23/16 1:57 p.m.

Just started working on the lid

The Build Videos are Here:

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/3/16 5:24 a.m.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/5/16 7:30 p.m.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/9/16 6:38 p.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/14/17 3:52 p.m.
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
1/30/18 7:28 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/30/18 8:55 p.m.

Please do donuts and record.  

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/4/18 4:53 p.m.

Well, after driving the truck for 3 years without a transmission, I am finally installing a Powerglide with a 2500 rpm stall convertor. It will require doing a body lift to move the engine forward 8".  Also going to add some taller tires for more ground clearance and lower highway rpm.  Have not decided on all-terrains or a fat/skinny gasser look (it is a straight axle after all). The transmission install should make the truck truly terrifying. #TinyTruckOfTerror.

I removed the cab and the bed

naked hijet by Ben Modified, on Flickr" />

Then pulled the engine.  I crated up the One Speed in case I ever feel the need to put a V8 in a Go Kart!

One Speed by Ben Modified, on Flickr" />

white_fly
white_fly Reader
6/4/18 9:07 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, did you consider using a transaxle? Why or why not? 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/5/18 5:50 a.m.
white_fly said:

Just out of curiosity, did you consider using a transaxle? Why or why not? 

Yes, I did consider a transaxle. I did not use one for many reasons.  At an max. width of 52" the truck is very narrow.  The only reasonably priced (but getting hard to find) transaxle is the toronado. It is very heavy, I have never liked the internal chain drive and the configuration with its offset ring/pinion and long axle tube would make the half shafts very short and create extreme joint angles during suspension travel. 

I looked at the audi but question its ability to handle the power from this engine and the porsche was just waayyy too expensive.  I am happy with the way the engine cradle worked out.  It was affordable and the dana 44 should be strong enough. I have been driving it for 3 years now and have had no issues with this arrangement.  If anyone has any ideas on a suitable transaxle, I would like to hear about them.  I will likely not change out the axle on this truck, but would like other options for other future projects!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/5/18 6:40 p.m.

Clutch-Glide maybe?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ieJLbW96dM0YUUyVlTUxIUsjC237SJhBtaVkqv7z8z71Ctp287BPBaWO8YWoKapQ