1 2 3 4 5
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/21/22 8:15 a.m.
Akbarratt said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

Fenders, quarters, and hood are race-weight fiberglass from a vintage racecar that went back to metal. 

I was wondering where those came from too - suddenly the car seemed to have a set of perfect widebody fenders from out of nowhere. This is an awesome build.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
3/21/22 8:29 a.m.

geeeez this build is cool!!  325-350 would be plenty for that little car.  You should be able to keep the balance shaft and single timing chain if you're only running LS6 springs.  A little more valve spring would do that NIC cam some justice too.  Of course it'll still sound nice though. haha

Akbarratt
Akbarratt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/21/22 9:11 a.m.

In reply to V6Buicks :

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get that cam at least partly for the idle. I'm going to limit it to about 6k so the springs should be ok. NIC isn't to high lift either.

Hoping it will help with air temps too. 

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
3/21/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Akbarratt :

Fair enough!  Sound is mostly why I'm doing an ST5 in my car.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
3/21/22 2:11 p.m.

Akbarratt, why run wasted spark with sequential injection? Is that just a function of siamese coils? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/22 2:37 p.m.

Excellent!

I am obviously a fan of way-over-to-the-top Datsun roadster race cars.

Akbarratt
3/21/22 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Because for now it's the easy button. The C3i (I think that's it?) DIS in the 3800 wires up to the Ms3 just like an HEI distributor, plus a position signal I can use for injection events.

I don't have to decode the somewhat weird crank position signal that way. 

The modules and coils are pretty proven anyway, so I'm taking the easy way. 

Akbarratt
3/21/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I watched your build closely! I also had a F500 car at the time, so the closeness in size wasn't lost on me. 

Akbarratt
3/22/22 1:28 a.m.

Got my deka 60lb injectors today, so I got those installed.  

I was planning to mount my regulator on the firewall, running the lines up the firewall and to the back of the intake. But now I'm concerned about it being above the header. 

Thinking i may run the fuel lines all the way forward, mount the regulator on the forward inner fender, and bring the lines up the front of the engine.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks Reader
3/22/22 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

You can't fire just one side of the coil, but these ICMs and coils are pretty robust and effective as long as you can keep them away from heat.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/25/22 4:51 p.m.

Awesome!

autocomman
autocomman Reader
3/25/22 8:58 p.m.

I love this, partly because I'm using an L67 also in my MGB GT project here.  300 to 325 should be no issue without removing the balance shaft.  I wouldnt personally.  Injectors, more boost, intercooled and that should easily get you where you wanna be.  The cam will help with the higher RPM drop off these things have.  They tend to run out around 5500 to 6k...cam should make it pull nice and hard to that cutoff.  Holy crap though you got a lot stacked on there though.  Watching this one ;)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/25/22 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Akbarratt :

The original roadster design had the fuel line run there then back to the pump and carbs.  Top left shows the fuel bowl.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/22 9:46 p.m.
Akbarratt said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I watched your build closely! I also had a F500 car at the time, so the closeness in size wasn't lost on me. 

I know that car, and you guys(Robbie and Akbarrat) know each other indirectly....I brokered a deal for 10" wheel halves between the two of you.

Akbarratt
3/27/22 11:39 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I love how small this car world is sometimes. 

Akbarratt
3/27/22 11:49 p.m.

Roughing in the electrical this weekend. Mounted up the ecu so it's in the glove box when you open it. Mounted the pmu, cut some holes for the bulkhead connectors, and got some actual wiring done. 

I start out with nice neat harness and it always seems to turn to a less than neat harness. This one is going better than the last though.  Ignore the zip ties. 

Realized I got one of my two bulkhead connectors with not enough locations, so paused on that early. 

Akbarratt
3/28/22 1:44 a.m.

In reply to autocomman :

I'm not intercooled, but hoping the cam will help, and the bigger blower at similar boost levels should? Run cooler. The tunnel ram (kinda) lower could get a little cooling action too.

4.2 pulley in that blower should be like a 3.3-3.4 on a m90. Backup plan is water/ meth, and I'm wiring/ planning for it from the beginning. 

Akbarratt
4/1/22 2:21 a.m.

So, the combination of an unattended German Shepard in the garage, and a part on the edge of a bench, is a bad one. Can keypad down. 

The dog is fine though. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/1/22 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Akbarratt :

Ouch, a good time to remember man's best friend isn't man's smartest friend, but we still love them.

Akbarratt
4/30/22 11:38 p.m.

Well, work has been crazy, so haven't done much in the Datsun. But, I did have a few parts show up and had to try them on. 

I was going to do a volvo 240 front caliper conversion, because my stock calipers were frozen, heavy and expensive to rebuild. 

Instead I chose light, vented and expensive. The micro big brake kit from Techno Toys Tuning. Fits under my vintage 14x7 slot mags.

I'm going to probably modify my original dust shields and re-install with hose ducts later. My original turn signal holes have ducts built into them already. 

Akbarratt
4/30/22 11:40 p.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/30/22 11:57 p.m.

This thing is just all together naughty, and, SO AWESOME. I love that mad max blower look in the early photos. 

Akbarratt
7/29/22 8:14 p.m.

Found a set of 240z seats on marketplace and made them fit. I will recover them at some point after it drives. 

Akbarratt
7/29/22 8:16 p.m.

Radiator relocated forward and down

Akbarratt
7/29/22 8:18 p.m.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1G1uiykYCb8f7u3irLgb1EbWPGo2pq2yMILbUyvC3fjB7du17m5T4JXdXp2IgaM7