1 2 3 4
BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
4/5/20 5:21 p.m.

Also, it is INCREDIBLY difficult to work inside such a small car with a full welded cage. 

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
7/12/20 7:34 p.m.

So I'm pretty terrible with updates obviously, its been busy starting a new job and relocating down to San Diego. That being said, I picked up the car last weekend from my paint and body guy. Really impressed with the results. If you're in the Virginia Beach area check out Strang Enterprises. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/12/20 8:54 p.m.

That looks great!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/20 7:36 a.m.

Looks fantastic!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/13/20 8:49 a.m.

I love the color combo, it reminds me of the old BMW 2002 Alpinas

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/13/20 3:39 p.m.

THAT LOOKS REALLY RACEY!

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/28/20 8:22 p.m.

holy moly.  i'll be in VA beach in 3 weeks.  this thing is gnarly.  

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
8/6/20 6:46 p.m.

The white "before" pictures showed the rear fender flares riveted on.  The new paint photos show no rivets.  What change did you make?

I would call that body a 2.8 RSR which is a look I like!

Love it!  Looks just terrific!

D2W
D2W Dork
8/7/20 9:20 a.m.

Always dreamed of putting a V8 in a 911. Alas with 911 prices going insane it will never happen.

Oh my!

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
8/10/20 2:00 p.m.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Anxious to get out to San Diego once I'm done with training down here in Florida so I can keep working on her. Especially now that I've got a decent two car garage and the ability to get her up off the ground. I'll be able to get into a lot of issues that I wasn't able to address before. 

Yes, the fenders were riveted on when I bought the car. My body guy was able to bond them with some pretty advanced adhesive and then work to smooth them out which is what I wanted. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/11/20 5:38 a.m.

this is such a cool car, screw the purists, this outlaw is awesome

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/23/21 10:55 a.m.

I'd forgotten 'bout this........simply Amazing!!!! This beast resides in San Diego, if so what hurdles have you encountered for inspection/emissions yadda yadda?

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
1/23/21 12:37 p.m.

No issues. Pre-1975 vehicle. That being said, I had/have it registered in Virginia as a lifetime registered classic vehicle which didn't require inspection.

So I resolved the heating issue, it just took me some time investigating the issue. Apparently the overflow tank had developed a small crack that I never realized when I lived in Virginia because it wasn't parked on concrete so I couldn't discern any leaks. Bought and installed a new overflow tank and she runs 205-210* at all conditions. It's a bit warmer than I'd want, I'd prefer 190* as per the thermostat I installed, but I think it's within range of being acceptable. 

That said, I had experienced a lot of trouble with the original Barry Grant Demon carb so I replaced it last weekend when I changed out all the fluids. Upon start it idled perfectly cold. After driving and the car warming up the idle gets pretty lumpy, bouncing from 700-1,100 rpm. Now, I'll admit I'm no expert this being the first car I've ever worked on, but I messed with the carb a bit and still no improvement. Then I realized that this distributor has no vacuum advance, which also explains my 10mpg I'm getting on my trips to work despite being almost all highway driving. 

If I were to install a new distributor that had a vacuum advance and hook it up to the vacuum port on the Street Demon carb, would that help improve the car's idle? It's still pretty raw but I'd like to be comfortable driving to work 3 or 4 times a week in it so if that helps streetability I'm more than willing to do it. 

Any input? Remember you're speaking to a novice!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/24/21 7:50 p.m.

Not me Barrett so I'm bumpin' this to the top bro......this is so Bitchin'!!!!!

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
1/27/21 10:40 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Not me Barrett so I'm bumpin' this to the top bro......this is so Bitchin'!!!!!

Thanks. Anyone else?

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
1/28/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to BarrettRC8 :

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. I'd try and track that down first. After that, vacuum advance should help a bit with the fuel economy but may or may not do much for the idle.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
1/28/21 9:51 a.m.

Oh, and to echo the other posters - bitchin car, especially in that color scheme

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/21 10:12 a.m.

I'm no expert on carbs, but I believe the expression goes "most carburetor problems are electrical".  So I think a fresh distributor with vac advance would probably be helpful.  Plugs and wires too if they're not pretty new.

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
1/28/21 7:02 p.m.
Racingsnake said:

In reply to BarrettRC8 :

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. I'd try and track that down first. After that, vacuum advance should help a bit with the fuel economy but may or may not do much for the idle.

Understood. I'll be checking that first thing in the morning. Thank you.

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
1/28/21 7:02 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm no expert on carbs, but I believe the expression goes "most carburetor problems are electrical".  So I think a fresh distributor with vac advance would probably be helpful.  Plugs and wires too if they're not pretty new.

If I don't find a vacuum leak it looks like that'll be the next step. Appreciate the help!

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
4/9/21 3:47 p.m.

Ended up taking the car to the local "carb whisperer" and it's running much better.

Also managed to get some new Cobra RS Classics installed. Its nice having proper seats!

BarrettRC8
BarrettRC8 New Reader
12/10/21 1:47 p.m.

A few weeks ago I was driving home from work, parked the car in the garage and as I walked out with the garage door closing, I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the engine. I let it sit for a few weeks and finally got under this car this morning.

There is a small leak, about one drop of coolant every 1-2" once the car is running and warm, which is coming from the passenger side, forward corner of the oil pan next to the oil filter where the engine mates to the transmission. Any idea what it could be or actions to undertake other than unbolting the exhaust and dropping the oil pan to investigate the gasket?

I have a few images below if it helps.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MVS7mRfV0hECIbbNWTXtioyVcQvmPVsRIcqCu6MM8FZQvFmC9EcFTnA5m5thZE9u