1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/21/20 8:43 a.m.

Definitely looking at what you are doing on heat shielding that I might carry over to the bugeye. Lotta bitta heat coming through the floor from the exhaust. 

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/21/20 9:11 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Definitely looking at what you are doing on heat shielding that I might carry over to the bugeye. Lotta bitta heat coming through the floor from the exhaust. 

The jury is still out on how well the self-adhesive stuff will stick to plastic long term.  During installation, it seemed fairly permanent.  I had to reposition one piece after it contacted prematurely and it wouldn't let go easily.  Getting the air bubbles out is supposed to help it stay put.

I have a good bit of the fiberglass heat shield left over from the catalytic converter.  That may go between the muffler and trunk floor.  Otherwise, I'm done.  I may regret not putting sound deadening over the differential.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
7/22/20 3:36 p.m.

I couldn't find the hardware to install the carpets (snaps mainly) or to reupholster the seats.  I am also missing the driveshaft tunnel cover, so ordered a bunch of stuff.  Meanwhile, the carpet and panels that glue or screw in can be done.  The hardest is the carpet on the rear shelf.  Holes needed to be cut for the roll bar.  A few hours this morning finished it.

The roll bar couldn't be any closer to the side panels and wheel arches.  It is holding the panels tight on the sides.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
7/24/20 7:23 p.m.

Just filling in some details today.  I had to make levers for seat back adjustment and to control the vent lid (goes under the dash).  I also broke out the powder coat gun, and it still works.

Powder coat looks really good.  Nice work.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
7/25/20 8:51 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

Powder coat looks really good.  Nice work.

The silver parts are brushed aluminum.  I still haven't found an acceptable silver powder coat.  I may order some clear powder and try that over the brushed aluminum though.

I was guessing those were brushed, and the black part was the powder-coated one.

Or maybe the powder-coating is still to come.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
7/25/20 9:54 a.m.

The black part is powder coated in semi-gloss.  That's mostly what I've used on this car.  The powder coating is done except for a few things here and there.  I'd be glad to bring up the gun sometime if you want to use it for your project.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
8/18/20 9:04 p.m.

Things I should be doing on this project:

Finish installing carpet

Fit/recover center console

Reupholster seats

Install top frame

Fit rear wheel arch liners

Redo intake vacuum lines

Things I have been doing:

Nothing

A trip and driving kids around have me just staring at the car looking for motivation.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
8/18/20 9:46 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) :

So what's it going to take, Joe?  I know I'm not the only one waiting to see this project through!

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
8/19/20 8:57 a.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

So what's it going to take, Joe?  I know I'm not the only one waiting to see this project through!

I just need to get back out into the garage.  It will happen this week, I think.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/20 2:51 p.m.
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
Stu Lasswell said:

I just need to get back out into the garage.  It will happen this week, I think.

Well? Seems like from the TVR thread you haven't been feeling well so I guess you can have a pass...

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
9/5/20 12:31 p.m.

Yeah, August was a bad month.  It started with a trip to Tennessee to visit family.  My Mom had a mini-stroke just before we arrived that put her in the hospital (which means we didn't get to see her).  She's doing better, but is still having after effects with vision and memory. The rest of the trip went well, and I got to see Amelia Island.  Cool place.

When we got back, there was a lot of grocery shopping and getting kids ready for school.  You see, I got remarried last July (2019) and we've had Julie's kids full-time.  This includes a 25 y.o. autistic boy, two late teen girls, and a 14 y.o boy.  The younger kids are pretty much self-cleaning.  The autistic one, not so much.  They are a good distraction from working on cars, sometimes better than others.  Plus, I just needed a break.

About two weeks ago, I did manage to sort out some things in the garage.  I pulled the seat foam kits out and did some test fitting on the frames.  I also fit the center console, but removed it before fitting the underdash panels.  That's when things came to a halt.  Since then, I've gone through the early symptoms of chest congestion, sore throat, head and joint aches.  Last Monday I was starting to feel better when the second round of symptoms hit.  Fluctuating fever, chills, loss of appetite, worsening pain everywhere, swollen gums and lips.  You get the idea, it's the COVID-19 playbook.  Everything except for diarrhea and none of the life-threatening symptoms.  I finally got out for testing last Weds. and am still waiting on the results.  In the meantime, I get to assume I have it and can only wait for the symptoms to go away.  It's not been a pleasant week.

So here's my public service message.  The fight is real.  I was taking all of the precautions and still got sick from a grocery store or similar place.  I probably forgot to wash my hands after coming home, or one of the kids did.  Or rubbed my eyes.  We weren't taking crazy chances.  I'm usually sick for 3-4 days and done.  This thing has really wrapped around my axles in a way I've never experienced before.  Be careful out there.

BTW, I am feeling better today.  But the garage is at least a week away.

Heal up, buddy.  I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/5/20 2:22 p.m.

I got COVID earlier this year after taking the same precautions you did. Laid me out for a solid week. 

Hope you feel better soon.

AxeHealey
9/5/20 7:20 p.m.

Man, glad you're feeling better. I hope your mom's condition continues to improve as well. 

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
9/6/20 9:35 a.m.

Thanks guys.  Just a quick update to let you know my fever has broken and the other symptoms are in retreat.  I feel much closer to normal this morning but still weak.  Still no test results, but I don't think it really matters at this point.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
10/4/20 6:03 p.m.

It's not a lot of movement, but it's progress.  The car got lifted back onto jack stands to access the underside of the tunnel cover.  I need to rivet/bolt some small tabs onto the tunnel cover to mount the interior under dash panels.

I also removed the crusty old center console cover and test fit the new cover.  It mostly fits, but is a pretty loose interpretation of the right shape near the feet.  I'm not 100%, or even 50%, happy with it, but I guess it will have to do.  I'm thinking about using contact adhesive on some key areas like the top of the shifter turret and the hidden edges, but using a slower drying adhesive in others.  Otherwise, the contact adhesive will grab early and be like arm wrestling an octopus.

I also began sorting out seat hardware for the upcoming reupholster job.

Looks like a job requiring every clamp in the garage.  Maybe even run out and get more.

And if it was my shop I'd sweep those shop-towels full of hardware onto the floor.  Every time.

Glad you're doing better, man. The car just keeps looking better.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
10/6/20 2:32 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks like a job requiring every clamp in the garage.  Maybe even run out and get more.

Not quite every clamp, but almost.  I had two Vise Grips left.  The edges will be secured with contact cement after this dries.

I'm also working on the rear wheel arch liners.  Gluing the rubber edge onto these takes quite a few little clamps.  Good thing they are cheap.

One is on the car, the other is drying.

Good thing it's not cold-wash day.  You'd be in trouble then...

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
10/7/20 3:54 p.m.

The center console cover is done.  It didn't turn out too badly.  I test fit it in the car along with the side panels, and everything lines up.  The throttle lever was a close call though.

Next up is fitting the mounting tabs for those panels and the tunnel carpet.

AxeHealey
10/7/20 8:34 p.m.

Looking good! Glad you're back at it.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
10/7/20 9:59 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

Looking good! Glad you're back at it.

Me too.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39

You'll need to log in to post.