1 2 3 4 ... 42
java230
java230 UltraDork
7/16/19 6:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Vintage air maybe down the road. It's got a York for the air ride where the AC would normally go.

Yep its 4 manual switches at the moment. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/16/19 6:28 p.m.

Cool. Id probably ditch the your for a viair electric myself. Never liked the belt driven compressors for air ride. Dunno why, just don't. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
7/16/19 9:02 p.m.

Cool project!

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/16/19 10:43 p.m.

I've had both, they are different. A lot more air from engine driven, but complex with engine involved. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/17/19 8:08 a.m.

Roof (temporary... Underlayment) is on, door is in and adjusted.  Garage emptying to commence tonight. I did a quick measure..... I have a lot less width that I thought. Damn boat is in the way..... I did go to the hammer store and get some wheel dollies tho!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Looking good! BTW, I'd clear coat the shed, and paint the truck.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/17/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Ha Shed will get sprayed to match the house and garage. Truck will get painted. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/17/19 10:52 a.m.

Sooo....

A carburetor is difficult but building an entire new shed just to bring a project home isn't? 

Right...

cheeky

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/17/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Welllll Im a GC, I haven't actually worked away from the desk in a long while, but framing came back quick. 

And yeah.... Like I keep saying I don't get along with carbs.... I tired to "clean" the one on my lawn mower.... It looked clean, float moved, but somehow I still have a pinecone stuffed in the choke linkage to make it run kinda. Berkley carbs. And yes I looked at FI for my mower. Its $$$ But available. Chinese make versions for the little motors they sell. May go that way eventually.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 9:42 a.m.

The eagle had landed! And of course it's pouring rain.... 

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
7/18/19 9:45 a.m.

Cool stuff.  Break out the WD-40. 

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
7/18/19 11:24 a.m.

Man, that's so cool. Going to keep an eye on this one for sure!

Can't help but think that would be a perfect blank canvas to install a Duramax/Allison combination in, for extra cool factor and better mileage. Please.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to edwardh80 :

I love when people justify a really expensive and labor intensive modern diesel swap with the words "fuel economy". Be honest and admit you want 1000 ft-lbs of torque and turbo noises.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
7/18/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yes, that's a given. Aside from the cost of doing the swap frown mileage will be better if one can exercise restraint over the loud pedal devil

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 11:37 a.m.

In reply to edwardh80 :

Unless you're putting long haul trucker miles on it though it will never pay for it self with the better fuel economy though. So don't use that for your only reason.

Awsome truck by the way, java. Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 12:07 p.m.

Duramx Alison would be AWESOME, but $$.... The engine is roughly 800lbs already. Literally. I am thinking LS or turbo this one...... I do like turbo noises!

In reply to GhiaMonster :

Not sure I want to hose it down with WD-40 before I paint..... I toweled it off and its got a box fan blowing on it.

Tucked into the garage!

Found another rust spot, under the windshield.

It gets LOW, about 1/2" under the engine cross member. Needs a tie rod drop kit, it will bend the drivers side tie rod if its dumped. Frame contacts it....

Exterior trim looks to be stainless. Lots if parts piled inside to dig thru. PO said it last ran in 1982, other than he started it once for a second whne he got it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 4:09 p.m.

And again I say Java’s living right!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/18/19 4:23 p.m.

From what i can see, the stock green color would be FANTASTIC  with a pearl lace white roof. It looks incredibly good already. But could probably go lower to lay frame. Because whi DOESNT want a travelall that lays frame?

Id also say, depending on the bolt pattern, that 18 inch steelies with poverty caps would be glorious. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 4:28 p.m.

Yeah that was a thought my wife had this am when she saw the stock color. 

I think flat in the OE green would be amazing....

And she just texted me this. 

Not sure it can really go much lower. I literally rolled it into the garage, toweled it off and left for work. He showed up at 6:15 this morning! more poking is needed :D

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 4:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Thanks, I am excited. And my wife is AWESOME.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/18/19 4:38 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

I'm 90% certain that Ford truck wheels share the same bolt pattern. Easy wheel selection.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Its 5 on 5.5, Early Ford and Jeep. I like smooth steelies.... But cheap jeep may be the first stop. 17x7.5 should be easy to find. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/18/19 8:15 p.m.

Got 10 mins in the garage. It's huge I love it. 

It got tagged pretty good at the A pillar at some point. Door is pretty caved, and fender has lots o bondo. 

Now wife has said she didn't want a perfect body, just do the big stuff and paint. I think we are leaning back towards OE green! But she wants the interior nice. 

What's the best body filler these days? Iirc Rage Gold was the go to Last time I did anything. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/18/19 8:21 p.m.

Damnit man!  I really don't need another project.  I really need to sell the travelall I got from pat two years ago.   

Seeing this thread has me looking up patch panels and wheels...

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 8:23 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Its 5 on 5.5, Early Ford and Jeep. I like smooth steelies.... But cheap jeep may be the first stop. 17x7.5 should be easy to find. 

Dodge wheels are that pattern too. Could look for some 20" Dodge truck steelies.

1 2 3 4 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wRMQwShsShBMDLBLkUjJkhUPk6rkUeRVQUyAVrKychn4wue5RxnixcB96hhM0IGc