NOHOME MegaDork
5/23/22 12:25 p.m.

You done good!

java230
java230 PowerDork
5/23/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Not done yet!

How dumb am I spraying clear  through a Harbor Freight gun?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/23/22 3:48 p.m.

Every car I have painted has been with a $9 Harbor Freight gun

java230
java230 PowerDork
5/23/22 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I was thinking maybe these slightly better version.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/23/22 11:08 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Not done yet!

How dumb am I spraying clear  through a Harbor Freight gun?

I occasionally watch a Canadian YouTuber BadChad who uses the cheap guns for all of his work. Then trows them away rather than clean them.

Initially sceptical.But then I thought about my experience with polymer adhesives that we used in quantities of nano-drops. Talking about painting a 12x 12 micron target. Key word on the spec sheet would be "self leveling". We wanted that E36 M3 to be flat.

So I have to think that a lot of engineering goes into making paint lay down flat. Used to be precision machining  to create paint gun parts was expensive. Not anymore, CNC has made the lighter that fascinated natives into just a fire. The magic is baked into the stuff that comes out of the gun.

I would do some trial sprays to learn the gun setting and set-up. I would play with the reducer ratios and speeds. I would also read the Data Tech Sheet and use the recommended tip size, but I don't think that the cost of the gun will matter if it is not defective out of the box.

That from a guy who bought an expensive Devilbiss gun because he wants tools to last forever.

java230
java230 PowerDork
5/23/22 11:38 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I am not planning another paint job any time soon.

But yes defective is defective. 

If it's built OK, meh? 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/3/22 7:29 p.m.

Getting there. Fabric is a little skinnier than advertised.... 

But seam sealer is done. Flat surfaces have a wipe down. I have 2 gal spray able clear here. 

Bonerrific!

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/3/22 9:39 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

blush Well thank you 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/3/22 9:48 p.m.

ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/3/22 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Probably not this weekend sad  but I have all the supplies! (minus tape a massive amount of pearl additive) 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/22 11:04 a.m.

That roof is soooo huge you could do the lace in sections instead of continuous. Probably harder to lay out and secure though.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/4/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yes definitely could, but I've never done this.... Thinking one panel will be easier. But I may mask the ribs (they are actually depressions) so I think the pattern may blow out there since the fabric isn't tight?

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/4/22 12:59 p.m.

The question is how tight to get the lace all the way across?

Gambit said:

The question is how tight to get the lace all the way across?

I was thinking you meant "how to get the lace tight," and I think I'd mask the perimeter of the area to be laced, then tape the edge of the lace outside that masked area.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/4/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

I can't find any wide enough.... Going to do like Angry says and mask the edges off 

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/4/22 3:16 p.m.

I was asking about keeping the stretch even across the whole roof of the car/truck, the outside edges shouldn't be stretched to keep the pattern even, but you want it to sit flat and taut. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/4/22 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

I'm not sure is the answer? It's not super stretchy. But I'm Thinking measuring tape and a lot of fussing with it. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/5/22 11:22 a.m.

Picked up a Spectrum HF gun on the 4th sale, it had many good reviews and is a 1.3 tip. Cleaned it well and decided to spray the wax and grease remover for practice.

Lots of crap has settled and stuck a bit. But its pretty smooth....

Started masking the roof, then remembered that I need the base color first blush

Dusterbd13-michael
7/5/22 11:42 a.m.

Oh my yes 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/22 11:44 a.m.

Schwing!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/5/22 12:41 p.m.

Can't wait to see some color.   You have done a metric ton of work to get this far.

I was on the end of the gun yesterday doing the firewall on the 29 Model A. I will never do enough of this stuff to get comfortable with the game.

With the summer heat here for a bit, one thing to consider is your reducer; it makes a big difference on how flat the paint lies down. Medium might not cover it depending on the day. Humidity also matters.

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/5/22 2:16 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yes, The Tech Guy at SPI is great. I think I got a slow reducer, I don't honestly remember. But I have heat and AC in the garage now, so I should be able to control the temperature pretty well. The humidity is not much of an issue where I live. Never really gets above 65%

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/5/22 7:43 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Slow is good, lets the paint lay down smooth on a hot day.  Might increase the chance of a run, but I would rather sand out a run or two rather than wet sand the entire car to deal with orange peel finish.

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/7/22 9:38 a.m.

I did check and I got the slow reducer. I was planning to set the heat at 75 and let everything in the garage get up to temp for a couple days before spraying.

Had about an hour yesterday. Did some masking. The PVC (?) fine line tape sure does make nicer curves!

These are a pain.

Roof was wiped down with solvent based wax and grease remover. I will do another round of that. Dust has stuck a bit over the years..... Thinking I will get some 2x12 and make a scaffold on both sides. Makes roof access a bit easier.

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TA5cW6b3sdyNdQbnDlLuh9JuuqHGwTyg7IBSuAY73pW2DtgFQapwrfL6csiUuGWO