1 ... 39 40 41 42
java230
java230 PowerDork
12/15/22 1:09 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I think 60 at the wall is about where I ended to get the spray pattern I wanted.

I think its contamination as well.... I thought I prepped well too :( I should have stopped, but I was hard headed and the paint was mixed..... Oh well. I can see sanding marks thru the paint, so at least this will help me remove those. 

Noted on the cardboard.

I ahve a box of 600 and a box of 800 aquired..... Start with 800 and see how its cutting or go straight to 600? Plain water only for sanding?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/15/22 7:55 p.m.

Id probably go light pass 600, heavier pass 800. Wet. All wet.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/15/22 8:05 p.m.

I am perfectly happy to paint on a 600 grit surface. 

All I use to wet sand is water. Some people  use soap, but I am way too paranoid about any contaminants at this stage.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/15/22 9:28 p.m.

Using 800,on orbital. M18, it's not happy. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/15/22 11:00 p.m.

Good news is the roof will be smooth (except the one dent I didnt fill that's super obvious when it's shiny) 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/15/22 11:13 p.m.

java, you mentioned having some aluminum to use as a test panels for this, and I think that might be useful.  Go through the whole thing again using the same process and see if it does something similar. 

Don't have much experience with what you're doing so I'd want to be testing a buch before I try again on the vehicle.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/16/22 8:24 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I agree, I just dont know how the alu vs steel changes things.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/22 8:29 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

I don't know either. I HAVE painted aluminum though. Sanded with 320, wiped with windex and a paper towel, sprayed with rustoleum from the gun. Seems fine, but its only been a few months. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/16/22 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Well I just need to see if I get similar contamination. Should be fine?

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/22 8:42 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Id guess! Try your exact same approach as you will on paint. 

My oly question is if the aluminum will behave differently from primer

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/16/22 8:48 a.m.

Exactly. I think i have some painted pieces. But I have no idea what type of paint.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/22 9:03 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

Got an ounce of primer? May be worth the gun cleaning. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/16/22 10:48 a.m.

Ill have to check to be honest. There may be a little Omni left.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/16/22 11:18 a.m.

Update:

Lets ruin some paint.

Half way. This sander is grumpy.

Mostly done

Sander needed help..... Plugged the dust holes. 

Apparently this "sealed" bearing wasn't very sealed. It was packed to the point of being jammed up and not moving. Tried without seals..... Got a lot of grey water coming out.... I don't want to contaminate this more, so seals went back on.

Roof sanded and given a  quick wipe off. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/17/22 8:29 p.m.

Do you have WD-40 or other types of spray lubricants in your garage? Did you wear new gloves when wiping it down and during spraying?  Wax and grease Remover is a must and lots of clean new paper towels. One wet one dry.  A clean surface is a fisheye free surface. IMO those ares of fisheyes came from your hand not the airline.  The whole area would be a site that sees...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/18/22 1:14 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I agree, I just dont know how the alu vs steel changes things.

Aluminum wants an etch primer if the paint is to stick. Probably ok  as a test surface, but then I get back to just using masking paper. Masking paper is probably the only bargain item in the whole paint supply store as far as I am concerned.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/18/22 10:17 p.m.
ish_da said:

Fisheyes? Is something infecting the IH with silicone in the vicinity? Silicone is a painter's nightmare from what I know. There's a cleaner that is supposed to remove it from the surface to be painted and there's also an additive to paint that prevents silicone induced fisheyes to form. However, I don't know any product names. Now, if this is the cause of your problem. Maybe a painter's forum can shed light on your issue. 

Fisheye additive can cause your single stage paints to lay out orange pealy.  A product like SEM Prep Solve should do the job with box of Cloth Like Rags from Walmart.  Wipe it down like a person with OCD and you should take care of the problem.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/19/22 11:39 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Yes spray lube in garage, however I generally done use it in the garage much. Its been behind tyvek wall since the first spray in the garage. Could be hands, but I generally wore gloves when wiping.

In reply to ish_da :

I do have some silicone for waterproofing clothes.... But again its sprayed outdoors. I may have done some in there at one point.... But I cant remember for sure if that was pre IH or not.

In reply to NOHOME :

The idea was to test for contamination I think.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Yes this paint specifically says do not use fisheye eliminator.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/23 11:24 p.m.

Any progess?

Love this build...

I hope it does not stall for too long... it will be awesome when done!

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/24/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

It's still sitting in the garage.... I bought the paint to try to stay motivated. But apparently it did not work.... 

I passed a couple older trucks that were a bit ratty with Meh fresh paint and thought maybe just berk it and spray it. 

Roof is 95% wet sanded out. Just need to do the door frames and it's all hand sanding. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/24/23 2:07 p.m.
java230 said:

It's still sitting in the garage.... I bought the paint to try to stay motivated. But apparently it did not work.... 

I passed a couple older trucks that were a bit ratty with Meh fresh paint and thought maybe just berk it and spray it. 

Kinda what I was thinking.  You might be stuck in the analysis paralysis stage of the project. Bit of empirical feedback might get you over the hump.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/23 8:14 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

its not easy when stuff like that happens.

I have 3 projects that all got delayed by 2 months or more at different times for some reason... and when that happens, its bad for me as I am NO GOOD at getting them back into the flow of operations!

Its really hard to keep continuity in enthusiasm sometimes.

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/25/23 10:35 p.m.

Yes restarting is hard..... And my garage is a disaster. Plus the new cabin sucks every available weekend away. And work is too busy to loose a couple days to paint... 

But the check in actually helps. I still want to finish this. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/23 6:00 a.m.

You're soooo close....

If i was closer id volunteer to be a day labor helper on it!

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/26/23 4:09 p.m.

Yeah I am close. The paint debacle just turned me off for a bit, and my wife has not been working out of town. And for some reason she still likes my company and is disappointed if I spend all night in the garage! 

Bumping this helped tho. Thanks guys. I'm on vacation, but I'll start turning it not into a shelf when I get back. I'm sure we all know what happens to immovable flat surfaces in the garage.... 

1 ... 39 40 41 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZVXdaZtxuYHDhovTOvEoeKD4hjJqYuSkxHswAVj4CSwaXgRAzjVLH2FGqNj1Dt8