1 2 3 4 ... 8
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/13/21 3:26 p.m.

So, what should I check over/immediately do on this that I wouldn't normally think of since I'm used to Japanese stuff?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/21 3:51 p.m.

You need the correct hat. A flat bill just won't work, this ain't no Subaru.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/21 3:57 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Honestly the only thing that comes to mind is maybe throw a spare fuel pump in the trunk.  Check the ujoints in the driveshaft if they are original? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/13/21 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I actually ordered some period correct sunglasses already, maybe I should hit the thrift shop for some terrible patterned shirts?

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/13/21 4:44 p.m.

Man I'm diggin the E36M3 outta the "ghost" fender extensions.....and when I was still in East Cleveburg the brothers that sported these had tufted pillows on the back package shelf .......and usually a continental kit and a R/R front grillo......just sayin' Y'all

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/13/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

U-joints seem ok, no weird play but I'll keep an eye on them.  Fuel pump can go on the list, I was thinking plugs/wires/air filter at a minimum since that stuff looks a little tired.  There's also a little section of soft fuel line near the carb that I want to replace.

Stampie (FS)
3/13/21 4:48 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Just thought about how much better a fresh rebuilt QJet is vs a 44 year old one.  I recommend National Carburator if you don't want to do it yourself.  If you want to keep your's going while you wait I have a core here I can turn in for you.  They're local.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/13/21 4:51 p.m.

Honestly I have zero complaints about the carb so far- it runs really well, fuel economy tbd.  I think it has probably had a somewhat recent refresh.

The offer is much appreciated.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/21 6:51 p.m.

I think these used a little dinky fuel filter just before the carb inlet? Would be worth a spare one of those. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
3/13/21 8:56 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Honestly I have zero complaints about the carb so far- it runs really well, fuel economy tbd.  I think it has probably had a somewhat recent refresh.

The offer is much appreciated.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/product/how-to-rebuild-and-modify-rochester-quadrajet-carburetors

I hear this is a really good book on the Q-Jet. Next time I own something with one I'm going to get it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/13/21 9:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Current 60s-70s caddy purchasers are all hipsters. So actually all the Ex sti/wrx guys are driving the old land cruisers, caddies, Broncos, new tacos 

so no need to change hat cheeky

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/13/21 11:54 p.m.

Have you priced out those bars for across the back seat to hang clothes from? Seems like a needed "period" road-trip accessory...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/21 7:44 a.m.

Re. U-joints, when you put the car in reverse, if you hear an odd metallic ping like a small hammer hitting a metal tube, you need u-joints. Typically only reveals itself when the driveshaft changes direction.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
3/14/21 7:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/16/21 8:17 p.m.

indecision

So I've been going through the interior and that's definitely something that was in it.  In other news, this thing has the craziest spare tire to jack size ratio I've ever encountered:

Apart from the missing inflator thing, this all looks like it's in really good condition.  But also I definitely don't trust that tire, so I'll throw a can of fix-a-flat back there- plenty of room for it.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
3/16/21 8:28 p.m.

Normally I advise against Fix-A-Flat since tire shops can't patch a tire that has had Fix-A-Flat in it but then I saw that tires for this car are only $85 each.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/16/21 9:13 p.m.

How do you plan on mounting the bullhorns to the grill?

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/21 10:50 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath said:

How do you plan on mounting the bullhorns to the grill?

IDK where this pic is from, but there's an identical car locally (including the horns). Some young-ish guy drives it around and it's pretty minty. I keep wanting him to wear a Boss Hogg outfit. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/17/21 12:55 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Unfortunately, it's just a google search for "boss hogg car." :(

I envy your local guy. These old land yatchs are super cool and I'd love to build one someday. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/17/21 6:14 a.m.

A coworker's mom/dad had that same Cadillac back in the early 80s. Same color but vinyl top matched the body color. Said coworker tooled me around in the front passenger seat one hot summer day. I remember that thing as being very plush and that the AC blew ice cold air.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
3/17/21 8:33 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

So, what should I check over/immediately do on this that I wouldn't normally think of since I'm used to Japanese stuff?

This being GRM, I'm surprised 'drop in a built 500' or 'LS1 swap!' haven't been suggested yet...

With GM cars of that vintage- once the cars made it to the mid-80's, I'm remembering lots of my friend's parents getting stranded with thermostat/radiator/coolant hose type problems.

Also, sweet car!

Stampie (FS)
3/17/21 8:43 p.m.

In reply to RandolphCarter :

500 is drop in except that you need to use the 425 exhaust manifolds because they have a dimple to clear the factory control arms bolt.  But a 425 isn't a slouch so for his purposes should be fine stock.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/21/21 4:55 a.m.

Did some basic stuff like wiper blades and an air filter:

This little section of soft fuel line was starting to look kind of scary:

Replaced with new line rated for much higher pressure:

Fresh cheapy battery has it starting much more easily:

Obligatory gas station photo:

It continues to drive nicely.  I have fresh spark plugs for it and will chase a small exhaust leak, a slight drip from the transmission, and a little bit of noise from the front left wheel next time I have it on the lift.

This might be the smallest our longbed, crew cab truck has ever looked:

There are 15.1 liters of engine in this photo:

paranoid_android (Forum Forumer)
paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) UberDork
3/23/21 2:56 p.m.

Does this have a leather interior or is it the plush/velour/whatever fabric?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/23/21 2:59 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android (Forum Forumer) :

Tan leather- it's like sitting in a gigantic baseball glove.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vHAKrMQ7O13bj14yMvSN37tlWtsgKT1DJmC8woEFpNn7zxD7Rrml9UahzPcYhUnJ