1 2 3 ... 10
JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/15/12 8:28 p.m.

So I bought this... http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1978-mercury-colony-park-wagon-1000/55767/page1/

Yeah, yeah...I told myself, I'm just buying this to use as a home improvement hauler, its NOT a project.

But let's face it, everything in our lives has project potential so I might as well start this now. I'll try to update it with stories from the road as I do the retrieval mission and drive back to NJ.

And then....

Well I have all this sitting out in the shop

It seems a shame to just let it sit there.

And toying with the idea of color choices for a repaint. There seems to be a push for satin black, and I found a black woodgrain vinyl that would look kind of sweet, but I think I'd like to go a different route so here are some candidates. All colors were chosen keeping in mind it has a brown interior and that's not going to change.

More thoughts to come as they hit me.

jpaturzo
jpaturzo Reader
10/15/12 9:12 p.m.

My Bobcat will be on the road in a few weeks (just in time to put away for winter). We can have a slow-ass Mercury drag race.

My color vote is for the emerald green metallic.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/15/12 9:17 p.m.
jpaturzo wrote: My Bobcat will be on the road in a few weeks (just in time to put away for winter). We can have a slow-ass Mercury drag race. My color vote is for the emerald green metallic.

Its my front runner choice right now too, followed by the chesnut brown. I think the right orange would be interesting but SWMBO loves orange and doesn't love the wagon so she does not want "her" color defiled in that manner.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
10/15/12 10:14 p.m.

The browns would be very era appropriate. Not so much the green, which would clash with the interior. I like the Merlot Metallic, but that's just me.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
10/15/12 10:23 p.m.

I vote for Chesnut Brown. There's not enough vintage brown cars.

I'm glad someone here bought that and will appreciate it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
10/15/12 11:18 p.m.

I vote for catE36 M3 brown.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/12 4:31 a.m.

I have to agree with Doc Blade on this one. Though that green would be cake to find in a parking lot. Then again, with that things size it will be bigger than 90% of the vehicles there so no worries anyway.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/16/12 6:13 a.m.

I wouldn't touch the exterior, but that's just me. If you are gong to repaint it, won't the green go really bad with the brown interior? Seems so to me. I'd stick with a color close to the original. Satin black is over done.

cutter67
cutter67 New Reader
10/16/12 6:55 a.m.

i am so glad you bought this car. this car was really calling to me for some strange reason. i think you should take it back to all its glory or as bravebrace said dont touch the exterior just shoot it with clear.

very good buy

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/16/12 6:57 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I wouldn't touch the exterior, but that's just me. If you are gong to repaint it, won't the green go really bad with the brown interior? Seems so to me. I'd stick with a color close to the original. Satin black is over done.

I think green and brown can work together but overall I'm leaning toward the browns if for no other reason then I can probably get away without doing underhood paint.

I've done my share of satin black and I'll agree it's overdone, but its also easy and a good look, but not on this car. I always wanted to do a late (94-96) roadmaster wagon in satin black with either black woodgrain or carbon fiber in place of the wood. But the body style of the Colony Park just really doesn't scream rat rod so the satin black would just look lazy.

It's not very visible in alot of the photos but the paint is pretty badly burnt out, down to primer in some spots so it really could use a repaint. It's not high on the list of priorities though, this is mostly just noodling with ideas right now.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/16/12 7:01 a.m.

I like the green and I remember seeing old 70's wagons in that color, but usually with a similar green interior. I prefer the Merlot with the Chestnut Brown a close second.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/16/12 9:30 a.m.

The original pics in the for sale thread are gone, can you throw some up here please?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
10/16/12 9:32 a.m.

The chestnut brown gets my vote. Throw a gold pearl over it to let the flake pop, and you got some serious awesome.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/16/12 9:43 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: The original pics in the for sale thread are gone, can you throw some up here please?

Hmm, I still see them there. I'll get them posted up to my site and pop some in here.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/16/12 9:47 a.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
10/16/12 9:56 a.m.

Call me crazy but I think that this beast needs to stay two tone. I am liking the brown for the major sections and maybe the sunburst for the wood paneling.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
10/16/12 10:13 a.m.

I'd go for the Chestnut Brown Metallic. I was already thinking UPS Metallic Brown when I saw the Chestnut on your list.

What are you thinking for the old woodgrain sides?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/16/12 10:25 a.m.

Chestnut Brown Metallic with the wood done in a lighter shade, makes it look bigger. Outline the wood in a darker shade of brown or go the other way with a pumpkin color.

... and white walls.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
10/16/12 10:26 a.m.

Gold over black would be perfect.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/16/12 11:25 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: What are you thinking for the old woodgrain sides?

The woodgrain will definitely be redone. Either in new vinyl. Possibly painted woodgrain.

If I can come up with the money/right deal to have it done I would like to have the woodgrain either custom painted or a custom vinyl wrap with a flame pattern in the wood grain itself for a little custom touch.

Something kinda like this

I agree the color needs to be different enough to offset the brown if that's the color it ends up.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
10/16/12 11:27 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Are you a Mizzou Tiger fan?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
10/16/12 11:36 a.m.

Be careful with green, unless this is what you're going for....

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
10/16/12 11:45 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: Be careful with green, unless this is what you're going for....

Well I was thinking a different shade of green, but what's wrong with the Wagonqueen Family Truckster? All my wife's friends (and a few of mine) are already calling it that anyway.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
10/16/12 12:42 p.m.

What if you did the dark chestnut brown body with a "Cherry" Woodgrain? I'm curious as to how that would look, but somewhere in my head it looks good.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
10/16/12 10:22 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote: What are you thinking for the old woodgrain sides?
The woodgrain will definitely be redone. Either in new vinyl. Possibly painted woodgrain. If I can come up with the money/right deal to have it done I would like to have the woodgrain either custom painted or a custom vinyl wrap with a flame pattern in the wood grain itself for a little custom touch. Something kinda like this I agree the color needs to be different enough to offset the brown if that's the color it ends up.

That "wood" be cool. Pun not originally intended, but I decided to go with it.

I know you do some vinyl cutting. I have a buddy at a local sign shop. If you don't find somebody local to come up with a custom wrap I can put you in touch with him. He would dig the project.

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2bYKvNE0evdicUdScPxAlzxki1GSAw9vpXQ2MyrvNtlDmPllzNrz6WDtS4XvmYYh