1 ... 7 8 9 10
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/15/13 2:11 p.m.

So finally back to the wheels. I was able to snag another pair of Bullitt wheels for $50 so that ended up being the cheapest fix. Finally had some time today to get the tires swapped around, let's do this :)

First up, adapters. Spaces the wheels out 1.5 inches and converts the 5x5 to the mustang's 5x4.5. The stock lug nuts are 13/16 and wouldn't fit the adapters so I had to run around to 3 different parts stores to scrounge a full set of 3/4 nuts. Fun stuff.

After that it was a simple mount job. Ditched the mustang center caps for a custom set of aluminum caps. Tires are probably a bit too small, but she's still getting dropped on air in the future so it might look better then. If not I'll bump up to a 55 or 60 series instead of the 45s.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
6/15/13 5:22 p.m.

Looks right at home on Bullits! Now I'm doubly envious.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/16/13 12:54 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: she's still getting dropped on air in the future

Oh, how happy that makes me!!!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/13 12:58 p.m.

Looking good!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/16/13 1:17 p.m.

Nice, wheels look like they belong on there.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/16/13 5:03 p.m.
gamby wrote:

I have all the parts, but I've decided to go with shockwaves in the front instead of old school bags so I have to save up the $$ for those but it will hopefully happen this summer.

And I dropped a bunch of $$ on new brake parts because those rotors are looking pretty gnarly. There are receipts for recent brake work but it looks like they changed the pads without turning the rotors, the rotors look pretty thin so that's probably why but they were also pretty scored so they destroyed the new pads too. Ahhh well, thanks to Rock Auto it was a lot cheaper than it could have been and I'll know its right. Threw some new upper ball joints in the order so I'll be ready to take it apart for the air suspension.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/16/13 6:16 p.m.

Don't know why I didn't see this thread until now, what a cool car. The original woodgrain on wagons like that was 3M Dinoc, which is still available in a number of different woodgrain patterns. Unfortunately for a car that size it's not inexpensive, at this site it's about $550 for a 48" x 20' piece. http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-NOC-Wood-Grain-s/19978.htm

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/16/13 6:42 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Don't know why I didn't see this thread until now, what a cool car. The original woodgrain on wagons like that was 3M Dinoc, which is still available in a number of different woodgrain patterns. Unfortunately for a car that size it's not inexpensive, at this site it's about $550 for a 48" x 20' piece. http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-NOC-Wood-Grain-s/19978.htm

Yeah, I had looked into it and for the price I'd rather do something custom. Still debating the final treatment, right now its between custom airbrushed work on the sides and real bamboo veneer but I seem to change my mind on it weekly which is probably why I haven't started on anything. That and the sheer hell of having to strip off the old stuff.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/16/13 7:22 p.m.

I suppose you could use regular old contact paper like my mother used to put on her kitchen shelves, but it wouldn't hold up very well. :)

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/16/13 7:36 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I suppose you could use regular old contact paper like my mother used to put on her kitchen shelves, but it wouldn't hold up very well. :)

It had been suggested but I think I have some better options :)

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/17/13 12:18 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
gamby wrote:
I have all the parts, but I've decided to go with shockwaves in the front instead of old school bags so I have to save up the $$ for those but it will hopefully happen this summer. And I dropped a bunch of $$ on new brake parts because those rotors are looking pretty gnarly. There are receipts for recent brake work but it looks like they changed the pads without turning the rotors, the rotors look pretty thin so that's probably why but they were also pretty scored so they destroyed the new pads too. Ahhh well, thanks to Rock Auto it was a lot cheaper than it could have been and I'll know its right. Threw some new upper ball joints in the order so I'll be ready to take it apart for the air suspension.

I look forward to seeing it laid out on the ground

Mental
Mental PowerDork
6/17/13 3:28 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:

looking good!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/21/13 9:04 a.m.

OK, this is bad, this is very very bad....input from the collective needed.

I often joke about swapping the wagon to a diesel. In fun I posted up a CL ad for a cheap 6.9 Ford on my FB page as my bad idea of the day.

Well one of my friends saw it and happened to mention he is currently parting/scrapping a truck, with a 7.3 diesel and 5 speed, runs great. He's offered to deliver the entire drivetrain, pedal boxes, etc for a very cheap price.

So 5 speed, diesel Colony Park?

Powar
Powar Dork
6/21/13 9:21 a.m.

Yes, please.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/13 9:29 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: So 5 speed, diesel Colony Park?

No this is a terrible Idea why would you even suggest it. No one here will support this..

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/13 9:44 a.m.

nevermind the torque and the economy. you will hate driving that car with a third pedal.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/21/13 9:46 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: nevermind the torque and the economy. you will hate driving that car with a third pedal.

Yeah, I'm honestly thinking that if I did it I'd look for an auto trans instead of the 5 speed.

Its the non powerstroke 7.3 BTW, from an 89 ford.

I wish I still had my 1.5 ton Studebaker flatbed, I'd swap this setup into that in a heartbeat.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/21/13 10:02 a.m.

IMHO, a manual could be fun/interesting if you can figure out how to make the column shifter operate it. I had similar day-dreams with my old Ford van, but while those were sold with 5 spd (very rare), I was not willing to give up the clear floor-space between the front seats, which I ocassionally needed for hauling 12' boards.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/21/13 10:06 a.m.

The torque would be most welcome, even from a non-powerstroke Ford 7.3. Don't discount the Diesel fan's ability to come up with mods for it, either.

Edit: Weight might be an issue, but then I don't think you'd autocross a 7.3 Diesel wagon.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/21/13 10:28 a.m.
Ian F wrote: IMHO, a manual could be fun/interesting if you can figure out how to make the column shifter operate it. I had similar day-dreams with my old Ford van, but while those were sold with 5 spd (very rare), I was not willing to give up the clear floor-space between the front seats, which I ocassionally needed for hauling 12' boards.

With the massive torque and relatively low power plus low revving nature of diesels, to me they are uniquely suited to auto's, every Diesel I’ve ever driven I liked was coupled to an auto. the manuals I all thought could have been improved by an auto.

But if this is just a toy, why bother, doesn’t it have the torque you need already? Your not suddenly proposing making this you DD for a 50 mile round trip where economy is important are you?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/21/13 11:01 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: But if this is just a toy, why bother, doesn’t it have the torque you need already? Your not suddenly proposing making this you DD for a 50 mile round trip where economy is important are you?

My round trip is 140 each day so I think I'll stick with the Fiat for commuting.

Why bother? I dunno, for the same reason I do anything, weirder is better :)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/13 11:51 a.m.

Late 70s Ford V8s were amazingly gutless for their size. Swapping just about anything in would be an improvement. However, having said that, I'm not sure the ROI is there for swapping a diesel into this car. Better a warmed-over 460 or something similar.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/21/13 11:55 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Late 70s Ford V8s were amazingly gutless for their size. Swapping just about anything in would be an improvement. However, having said that, I'm not sure the ROI is there for swapping a diesel into this car. Better a warmed-over 460 or something similar.

It actually moves well enough with the 400 which is why I really question doing the swap at all other than it would be interesting and possibly gain some fuel economy. I don't know that there's much ROI in doing anything to a malaise era station wagon, but I oh so love it anyway :)

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/21/13 1:14 p.m.

From an ROI point of view, restoring and keeping it close to original would be the way to go. These big old wagons seem to be increasing in popularity and thus value. The only changes I'd make would be towards improving or increasing functionality: making sure things like the A/C, cruise control work; a modern stereo (possibly a retro version); that sort of thing. Then the car will appeal to those looking for a car to do a "retro-road-trip vacation" similar to the Suddards' 3400 mile journey.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/21/13 1:17 p.m.

5spd diesel wagon?

If you DON'T do it I'll stop looking up to you.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46ER4AAoE3jv13yhLUuP1vmQ5oKjYxUyRy4T9vCuhmcYmxQclV1Oarw3gOl6oMkK