1 2
jpaturzo
jpaturzo Reader
9/21/13 10:33 a.m.

I've since cleaned up the octopus of vacuum lines and wires.

For the moment, done. The fun / sad thing is my friend and I spent like 2 months doing all this stuff after work at night . . . . and the car from the outside looks EXACTLY the same. But at least it runs and drives like new again. I took the girlfriend out to dinner in it last night and had not a single hiccup. It just runs, and runs happily. I've even had it up to 75 mph on the highway, though it's much happier at 62 mph.

Future plans? Drive it. Drive it some more. And see if the Ray Charles paint job can be corrected. And once I get bored, swap the engine for something that makes more than 90 hp.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/21/13 10:44 a.m.

2.0 Ford with turbo is the way I'd go. We had a '79 Bobcat wagon, silver with wood grain!

H24-674 was the plate number. I remember that from 1979 and I don't know why!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/21/13 3:47 p.m.

Turbo, turbo, turbo...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/13 8:43 a.m.

Good God I'd like to find a rust-free Pinto/Bobcat!

jpaturzo
jpaturzo Reader
9/22/13 9:50 a.m.

It helps to have a local guy who is obsessed with them. The gentleman I bought it from, known here on out as Pinto Bill, has been collecting them for years. Here is an example of his handy work:

Turbo coupe motor in an orange 74 pinto. I don't have any outside pics of the car, but it is gorgeous. The turbo motor only really requires modification to the intake to fit, and the necessary wiring.

This is exactly what I want to do to mine, except I have been having a hell of a time finding a turbo coupe motor. Either they are still in running turbo coupes, and the seller wants $5k, or the engine and wiring is all hacked up.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/22/13 12:24 p.m.

If you want an overdrive 5 gear, find a 5 speed box from a Merkur XR4ti. Its called a Ford of Germany (FOG) Type 9 and is popluar in kit cars and Lotus Sevens. The bellhousing from your car will bolt right up and if you look at pictures of the box, it looks just like your Type E but with a diferent tail housing that holds an extra gear. Not sure if the lengths and mounting are the same but would expect them to be really close.

Oh and dare to be different, turbo a Zetec.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
9/22/13 7:15 p.m.

I like...a LOT! I have a couple of Turbo coupes that are just dying for me to put their engines in a Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang II. But finding the right one has been tough. No title, too beat, too nice, too expensive, I have no money...ya'll know the drill.

Bruce

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/22/13 7:37 p.m.

Put me in the "I never would have said that I like Pintos/Bobcats 10 years ago but love them now" crowd. What a clean car, especially since you picked it up here in the Northeast. Keep it up!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/22/13 8:38 p.m.

I'm pretty much in love with this car. Good job with it.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
9/22/13 9:23 p.m.

I've been telling SWMBO we need a Pinto for a while now. Might just have to use this thread as evidence!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/22/13 9:32 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6yJcL0kCLdtQBuNe5HDw2Oe9KX7TfsMFZCucNjjFDZDBkFjxywto0ciiC9cei2zD