1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47
Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/21 11:22 a.m.

Getting closer on the shape.  Tape is there just to show me roughly where things are headed.

jh36
jh36 Dork
11/23/21 11:46 a.m.

That's killer.  So did you simply hand shape the foam blocks to get you to that point?  And then that becomes your mold?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/23/21 12:28 p.m.
jh36 said:

That's killer.  So did you simply hand shape the foam blocks to get you to that point?  And then that becomes your mold?

So, I'm basically stealing how AJ Hartman did his:

Long story short, I use the foam to get a consistent and repeatable (so I can do the other side) rough shape.  because the foam is 1/2" thick, I can use that, knowing how much wheel travel, etc, I have, to make sure things will work.  That foam does get worked a little bit (like the bevel I put in the edges) but we don't worry about going too far with it.  Just trying to get the rough shape down.

Once I'm happy with that, I will cover the foam with packing tape, in very much the same way I have covered it here with painter's tape.

After that, you add a layer of fiberglass on top of the tape to give it some structure.  Then, you can user a little body filler to refine the shape (mostly between the "steps" in the foam) and then fiberglass over top of that until you have a stiff enough piece.  Once you're happy, you can do your finish body work.

At that point you can either run them as is, or pull a mold from them.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/17/21 9:48 a.m.

Slow and steady progress.  I am making a video, but I think this one will have to be in installments.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/21 10:05 a.m.

Looks itchy

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/3/22 6:40 p.m.

Pat's not wrong... check out the video below.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/5/22 9:11 a.m.

No video yet, but here is a picture from my OnlyFans...

I've even got a shot of my entire package...

Radiator, shroud, and fans were about $300 at Speedway Motors.  Not bad at all.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Normally you have to pay for this much onlyfans action.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/5/22 4:42 p.m.

Pretty sure its been asked and answered, but i didn't see it. 

How is heat management with the mufflers passing through the interior behind the seats? I love the concept, and it may be the solution i need for ground clearance, but the car will be doing full 20-30 minute sessions, noylt just autocross runs. Worried about melting the occupants here in the south. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/5/22 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It's only autocross, but I have never noticed the heat once. I have LizardSkin ceramic coating on the panels and reflective foil on the backside of them. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/5/22 11:10 p.m.

I should add that there is a lot more airspace than a traditional under the car setup too, which helps keep the heat off of me. The headers are way more noticeable. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/6/22 12:13 p.m.

It was a cool surprise to see Kate wheeling the Camaro in this video...

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
1/6/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

My Camaro had the exhaust above the passenger side floorpan in an enclosed area due to the 180 degree crossover headers. Even with good insulation, it was not fun in the summertime. I ended up moving them into the passenger door area which helped but it was still hot. Like Gimps car, there needs to be a easy way for the heat to escape, like the area behind the seats being very open in his car.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/11/22 11:15 a.m.

Don't mind me.  Just venting...

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/11/22 11:27 a.m.

Looks familiar.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
1/21/22 9:06 a.m.

Still waiting to cut a big hole in an expensive thing, so I wrapped up the rest of the radiator/cooling fan install.

Word to the wise, if you think you're clever with your video titles, YouTube will bury it.  I could use an extra view or like on this one if you have the time.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
2/13/22 2:11 p.m.

Made some more progress on the hood vents and fixed a dumb error with the front sway bar.

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/13/22 8:06 p.m.

That looks great...i used Trackspec on my 944 and the Camaro. They make good stuff. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/22 8:57 p.m.

Must see photos of complete fender flares.  Big slicks on dirt track stock car wheels with big flares..... yes please!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
3/28/22 11:03 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Must see photos of complete fender flares.  Big slicks on dirt track stock car wheels with big flares..... yes please!

Ask and you shall receive, with a small delay.

First race of the season is done!

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
3/28/22 4:31 p.m.

Nice. What a difference in that very first time in the car and now. The paint mismatch almost looks like it was intentional, not too bad.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
3/31/22 8:51 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:

Nice. What a difference in that very first time in the car and now. The paint mismatch almost looks like it was intentional, not too bad.

I really thought I was going fast the first time out... lol

For anyone curious (I was), six runs on a 40 second course with a long return to grid used about 2.6 gallons of fuel.  Not bad.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
4/11/22 8:39 a.m.

Absolutely great weekend of racing at the SCCA DC Tour, despite being COLD.  We had a bad setup day one, but made some changes and improved for day two.  Full video will be up soon, but here is some onboard from yesterday.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
4/13/22 8:58 a.m.

Full Tour recap is up now.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
5/11/22 11:41 a.m.

Just a little update as the season starts up.

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t8FEXfv7XumQPE9zqN9xLNVZvYemSMOFLn8akdHwYklLqIak9WPEZCcuamFC0pVb