1 ... 44 45 46 47
Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/23 4:38 p.m.

Been a bit head down with the projects, but a new update is here!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
2/9/23 8:42 a.m.

Played around with some metal shaping last night. 

Still a good bit of work to do, but these will eventually be used to make a mold for some carbon fiber. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
2/19/23 4:06 p.m.

Mounted up some tires today. Trying a 13" wide front rim. I eventually want to go 14" wide up front, but this is a good start. 

Same tire.   13" wide rim on the left, 12" rim on the right  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/23 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

What's the weight difference?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
2/19/23 6:21 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

What's the weight difference?

The rims are virtually identical in weight. Probably just a few ounces. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
2/21/23 9:46 a.m.

We all know that 90% of going fast is looking good, right?

Did I ruin them?  Maybe...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
3/29/23 9:20 a.m.

I know it's been quiet here, but the car is exhausting work. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
4/24/23 10:47 a.m.

Finally got the exhaust finished up and recorded some sound clips, as well as did an overview of the changes for this season.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/23 11:24 a.m.

so many mufflers over so little run time

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
4/24/23 11:26 a.m.
Patrick said:

so many mufflers over so little run time

Yeah.  I hope this is the last time for a long time.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
5/4/23 3:07 p.m.

First event of the year (for me) is this weekend.  Ahead of things, I made a quick list of the changes that happened over the winter.  Nice and short.

Front to back:

Full car rewire
New tow hook
New splitter mounts
Radiator ducting
New radiator fans
New catch cans
Rebuilt and correctly wired alternator (finally charging)
Bigger front sway bar
Stiffer front springs
Rebuilt steering box
New bumpsteer bolts
Wider front wheels
Different toe, caster, and camber settings
New brake masters
Launch control/two step
Redone dash layout
Tablet mount
Moved brake bias knob
New driver's seat
Old driver's seat to passenger
New mufflers
New rear brake line
Stiffened rear sway bar via arms
Slightly stiffer rear springs
New battery isolator setup
Brake lights

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 6:28 p.m.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
5/8/23 8:57 a.m.

First event of the year is in the books.  I've got more excuses than you have time, but here you go.

Lots of changes over the winter meant having to start from zero, with the biggest changes being more front spring (150ish lbs more), more front bar (300lbs more), a little more rear spring (50lbs).  I put the compression pretty low all the way around and set the rebound in the middle.  Between each run I mostly played with rear rebound - taking more out until the car felt better.  The lot was dirty, but the front felt like it was working pretty well, with only a little corner entry push in the tight stuff (and some of that is likely driver).  Biggest issue I had was keeping the rear under control.  I just seemed to lack forward bite and the car was a bit slidey.  If I can get the rear under this car with more bite it should go a lot faster.

The splitter started to fall off twice (my fault - not the new mounts), but so far that seems to be the only mechanical problem after the first six runs of the year.  I'll take that.  I have my doubts about the exhaust being any quieter, but it still needs turndowns, so we'll see what happens there.

Next event is in two weeks at a nice airport course, so it should be a good weekend of testing.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
5/12/23 3:47 p.m.

Full event recap, including Boo the Team Zip-Tie Exocet, is now live!  Next race is just over a week away.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
5/22/23 9:51 a.m.

My best runs from the weekend.  Day one was cool, I was a single driver, the location isn't great for race tires, and my race tires were old.  Do you need more excuses, because I can find some.  Sorry for the panning on this first video - I fixed it in the second.

Day two brought warmer temps, and with some advice from Sam Strano and John Vitamvas, I added a bunch of compression to the back of the car and it really helped put the power down.

Exhuast turndowns were rattling on the car, but that will get fixed.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 11:02 p.m.

I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. 

The fiberglass front clip can't really support factory hinges (I assumed), and I was charging weight and went with a lift off hood. The level of access with the hood off is amazing, but it absolutely sucks to do anything under the hood by yourself. Peaking under the hood, or even adjusting shocks between runs just sucks. 

The hinges aren't the best or strongest, but they work and you can still quickly remove the entire hood.

(these bolts will be replaced with clevis pins)

I initially tried to use a dirt simple hinge kit from Speedway, but I wound up only using two tabs and made the side that bolts to the cat.  I cut out an aluminum backing plate for the hood and bonded it with epoxy to the hood. 

For a cobbled together effort, I'm pretty happy with the result. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/6/23 10:35 p.m.

Ready for the weekend. Saturday looks dry. Sunday...

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/12/23 9:06 p.m.

Are you able to run hill climbs with this beeeatch???

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
7/13/23 8:32 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Are you able to run hill climbs with this beeeatch???

I'd like to look into it.  I might need to do a few more safety items, but I should be close to good.

Did some racing with friends this past weekend.  Here are some highlights.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
8/1/23 9:24 a.m.

Spent the weekend up in New York for the 2023 SCCA Finger Lakes Tour and had an absolute blast.  I have never been up there before, but it's absolutely beautiful and the courses were some of the best I've run in a long time.  I'll be back for sure.

Day one we were all worried about some big storms that were making their way in.  Luckily for those of us in the second heat, the rain waited until we were done.

Derek Latshaw and his father Dennis were there in their stupid fast 2006 Mustang.  I have been chasing these two guys since I started racing in CP and I was excited to be running against them with the changes I made to the car.  For a minute on day one, Derek and I were going back and forth until Derek does what he does and checked out on me.  Unfortunately, I coned my last run, which put me 1.6 seconds back instead of the .8 it would have been if clean.  Here is that run.  This is probably the best course I've been on all year.

Day two was looking better all around for weather.  The course was reversed and some elements were changes.  I put down a solid opening run, and unfortunately wound up having to stand on that run. Derek was on a mission and I had to push hard to catch him.  I hit two cones on my second run and blew sound (this time my exhaust was pointed straight at the meter).  I did some things to abate sound went for it on my third, but it was a hair slower on raw time and still dirty.  All the while, Derek's father Dennis was gaining ground fast on me, with him finishing in third only .043 seconds behind me!  Here is my second run - my fastest on raw time.  

When the dust settled I got my ass handed to me by 5.4 seconds, but I couldn't be happier.  I did what needed to do when you're in second place, and I pushed hard.  The next time Derek, his father, and I meet up in Lincoln for the SCCA Solo Nationals.  Lots of work to do there, but I'm so happy I got to run again the Latshaws and get a good idea of what I need to do.

Special shout out to Bill Gelinas who was out there in his CAM prepped 1995 "Oldsmobile."  That car is sick.

Congrats again to Derek Latshaw on a very well earned first place.  Let's bring home more hardware from Lincoln!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/11/23 10:10 a.m.

Nationals hangover is real.  I'll have more to say about things soon, but rest assured we had a great time.  Here are my two runs from the 2023 SCCA Solo Nationals.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/11/23 12:28 p.m.

Mikey grabbed this video too:

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/23/23 9:26 a.m.

Some big changes are in the works for the car (video coming on all that) mostly spurred on by a tire change.

Hoosier is no longer making the 28" tall rear tire I have been running in the soft compound, so the car is going to be updated to run a square tire setup.

Before:

After (adjusted to the same ride height):

So yeah, things are going to snowball.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/23/23 9:37 a.m.

oh, wow... that's different

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/23/23 1:47 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Thank you for your kindness during this difficult time.

1 ... 44 45 46 47

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hcu16mSP9tBhVJdY5XDHmmyGS7HO85C6Yhjt322QywN0NdfelEoOTvfu0wnNYI3g