1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Saturnguy
Saturnguy New Reader
4/22/18 2:50 p.m.

Diesel swap love it! 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/18 3:31 p.m.

No matter what and before you get to do into the rabbit holes make sure you use the block brace at the front of the starter and that your starter bolt holes are nice and have good threads. Also use the GM starter bolts. Simile things like the missing brace is what killed my old 6.2. 

Fladiver64
Fladiver64
4/22/18 7:49 p.m.

Read your thread and like the idea you just jumped in and got started. Fellow Central Floridian, we live in Saint Cloud, just down the 417 from you. I have not built a challenge car but have been very interested, love the concept. I do build street rods, we have a 34 Ford with a 93 LT1 that we just rebuilt and mega squirted, at 27 Ford with an 8-71 blown 392 hemi and a 57 Chevy 4 door hard top project car that is on a C4 suspension. If you are interested my 16 year old son and I would be willing to help on your team with some Fab and welding help.( not saying I am great with either, but we get by).

orthoxstice
orthoxstice
4/22/18 11:39 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I disappear for a few days, and come back to see this.  Neat!  Any plans to add a turbo?  I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to do so on a diesel.  

Good thing you’re upgrading to an 8.8.  I’m guessing the 7.5” 10 bolt would self disassemble on the first hard launch.  Now you can use the truck to tow a spare challenge car...

Just wanted to pop into this thread to say that the manifolds and turbo from the later 6.5l are bolt on for the 6.2l. So on the easy-to-difficult scale I'd say that rates an easy.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 6:51 a.m.

In reply to grover :

I have 3.83's in my Ford 8.8 I swapped in but was looking for something in the 3.05-3.15 range but didn't find anything so just gonna let the 3.83's eat.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 6:54 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

I have found a "little black box" thing for $150 on Ebay that makes the 80E's a manual valve body (sort of) and so it maxes line pressure and lets you control shifts so I won't need a controller or TCM or anything like that. I think its a pretty good and simple solution. I opened the 4l80e up and found out it was rebuilt recently with a TransGo Shift Kit so it is a "built" transmission.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 6:59 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

HAHAH! When a 4L80E appears for $500 on Craigslist with a 6.2l you grab it and don't ask questions so it wasn't something I was planning it just showed up and I got it.

I have a 7.3l Powerstroke turbo (GTP38) with a full rebuild and billet wheel I got for $5 from a speed shop used and allegedly it was bad but I took it apart and it looks totaly fine inside.... On a diesel its very easy to do a turbo because there isn't a carburetor and tuning is just a matter of spinning a fuel screw on the injection pump and your tuning isn't as important because detonation isn't a thing so you don't have to worry about timing it.

Yeah the stock 7.5" would blow up the second the 6.2 started. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 7:05 a.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

Thanks! Saint Cloud is a 30min drive from me (Sanford). A challenge car is a lot of fun but it takes a lot of time finding the cheapest parts. Street Rods are amazing. Wow those are all really cool. I will take you up on that because my fab skills aren't great. 

So I haven't posted about it yet but the 6.2 turns out to have a bent rod and messed up cylinder so i've elected to scrap it (got a buddy who wants it for his CUCV so getting rid of it) so I'm currently in desperate need of a SBC, 6.2/6.5 diesel, LS, etc. if you happen to know anyone selling one around us for cheap send me a PM please. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 7:06 a.m.

In reply to orthoxstice :

Yeah the manifolds are the same so I was jost going to steal the crossover from a 6.5 and the injectors and it would work good enough. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 7:12 a.m.

Okay so....

As it turns out the 6.2l I had bought has a bent rod and messed up cylinder so IMO it's not worth getting it machined so I will be selling it and getting an SBC or anything else that I find that will work (possibly another 6.2 if i find one). Sorry to disappoint guys but the 6.2 isn't happening with that engine.

On the bright side the 4l80e I scored has a TransGo Kit in it so its a "built" transmission.

If anyone has an SBC, LS, 6.2/6.5 or anything like that to sell in Florida let me know please.

Thanks for all the support and ideas and help

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/23/18 7:39 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

Sorry to hear about your 6.2 troubles. 

Its a red-headed step child, but I was really interested to see what you could do with it. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/23/18 7:42 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Yeah...

It really is which is why I wanted it because its still a different thing. Everyone and their Grandma has put an SBC into everything but no one purposely swaps a 6.2 into something non-6.2/6.5 stock.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/24/18 12:29 p.m.

don't know what's available for your budget. 

5.3 and 4l60 in daytona

cheaper, looks like the same shop

cheap 5.7 vortec in Cocoa

I don't know what the 4l60 transmissions are worth, but you might recoup enough from selling the transmission from number one or two here to make it work.

Good luck!

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/24/18 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Thanks for the links it reminded me of craigslist I have been using FB Marketplace recently so I'm going to look into Craigslist. 

My budget for an engine is around $300 (including recoups and everything) and the 4l80e turned out to cost me $200 (sold the 6.2 for $350 to a friend in Alabama for his CUCV and both were bought together). 

Thanks again I will look into the ones you sent me and see if they are options or not.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/24/18 2:33 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

My Elky is a free 400 hp motor after recoup no matter what you pay for it. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/24/18 2:54 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

You do have a point and have been thinking about taking the engine in it but I don't have the ability to go up to GA and tow it home. I could just steal the engine from you and leave the truck with you but IDK how you'd feel about that...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/24/18 3:04 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

I know how I'd feel about that!  cheeky

Roy
Roy New Reader
4/24/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

I might have a truck and trailer to get to ga if it gets you a motor. That's what teamates are for.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/24/18 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Roy :

Interesting

Depending on how SVreX feels about me taking just the engine I might not need the truck and trailer, but if need be I might take you up on the offer of using the truck and trailer if y'all don't mind.

I really appreciate the offer it will be a huge help if i go that route.

We should try to meet up sometime to compare notes on projects.

Small Update:

I found an SBC core for $100 in Orlando that I will be looking at since it is right around me and cheap (I have all the parts to put a short block together I bought for $20 from a yard sale) but so far the best option is going to be to take SVreX Elky/SBC and use it since it is complete. I will let everyone know as I figure things out. laugh

Thank you to everyone really stepping up to help me out I do appreciate it!

Roy
Roy New Reader
4/24/18 5:34 p.m.

Not sure why the system put my last comment up as Roy instead of Fladiver64 but i am one in the same. Send me an email to Fladiver64 at g mail and I will give you my contact information. I guess I have not been around long enough to send a pm.  I think there is a big advantage to a donor car as there are many small parts that really add up  as well as the ability to sell of parts to offset costs.  I think the challenge with a SBC core is the machine shop costs even if you have the parts, unless you have a free machine shop somewhere.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/24/18 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Roy :

Yeah I figured you were the same just the profile name was different.

OK Email sent.

yes a donor car has it's advantages. The core from what I understand has everything from the heads down and doesn't have anything wrong on it... But I have to go look at it. The machine work is why I decided to not use the 6.2 cuz I could have got pistons from a friend for $20 but to sleeve it would be too expensive.

The Elky is currently the BEST idea but not necessarily the most convenient for me since I'd need my parents to drive up with me to get it and I'm sure they would love an Elco in pieces in the driveway. lol

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/18 7:40 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

"Surprise!!! We get a bonus Elky with the engine! Isn't that great?" 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/24/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

HAHA I should get you to write the pitch to my parents. 

"okay so I found an engine in GA and the best part is I buy an engine and get a whole El Camino FREE!!!" 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/29/18 8:00 p.m.

For those with car parts laying around:

Does anyone have a ratchet shifter they want to let go for cheap that would work on my 4l80e? 

Also little update on the 80e:

I found out that I can jury rig the harness in the trans so that I don't need a controller for it which means a free "manual valve body" conversion.

For those with experience in blow-through carb set-ups:

Would you recommend the blow through "hat" style or a pressure box for budget? For either where would I find a hat or box to use for cheap?

Also anyone with a turbo challenge car (like TheV8Kid) where do you all source the piping for it? 

Pictures of personal set-ups and examples will be appreciated very much.

The SBC search has been inconclusive except for an "LT1" SBC out of a Camaro which has been rebuilt recently for $200 and an engine Stampie has that he could sell me.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
4/30/18 9:53 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

The camaro lt1 is that complete with engine harness? This is the redhead step child of the SBC world. I just finished rebuilding a 93 corvette version. Unique water pump, ignition, and intake can make this tough to modify. Complete could be ok

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yUwdoXwy7nWbmghkLLjzGr7yu3XroMQ2WMecr8UVBOvtEL1Cd97zczjf3JspHkHI